Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
That isnt working for anyone else. The only other person I know with a Limited Palisade lives in Texas as I do. We drive with the windows down half the winter. She bought hers in July, I bought mine in October, next week will be April. The smell continues to be strong as ever and most definitely NOT going away. Like i said, even after the dealership odor bombed it and used some sort of ionizer machine on it. Neither worked. Why would they do this if there wasn't an issue?
I had a pickup that it smelled like something had died in it i took to a detailer and had him him hooked up to a deionizer machine and the smell came back and one day i was vacuuming and under the rear seat a bag of cooked beans my daughter had given me to take home had wedged under the seat weeks ago and that was giving off the foul smell was gone.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
I've seen multiple threads here and on the other palisade forums about smells. Seems to be isolated to the limited trim, but is several people.
But they were complaining of a vinegar smell from the a/c so we have different point of view so i will just leave it at that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased a black Palisade with light interior in December 2019. The smell is awful and makes me sick. I take very good care of it and don't allow food in it. As soon as I open door, it smells like an awful onion smell. I have never smelled anything like it. I just want to know why?

·
Registered
88 Posts
I didn't have any kind of odor in my Limited and I was there when they offloaded it from the carrier.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I purchased a black Palisade with light interior in December 2019. The smell is awful and makes me sick. I take very good care of it and don't allow food in it. As soon as I open door, it smells like an awful onion smell. I have never smelled anything like it. I just want to know why?
Did you get the interior treatment/protection the dealer was offering?

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you smell an unpleasant smell its not just you and it isnt anything you have in the car. I bought a Limited Palisade with black interior in October 19. To put it in the words of the Hyundai technician “it smells like old worn socks”. The smell takes your breath away when you first open the door and i have a poor sense of smell. I met a woman with a Limited Palisade with light interior and when I mentioned this her eyes got big and threw her hands up in the air. She told me she purchased the first one the lot sold in July 2019 and had been thinking it was something she had in the car all along. She had been trying for 8 months at this point to get the smell out, but could not.
My wife opened a ticket with Hyundai’s corporate office after taking it to the dealership twice where they order bombed it and vacuumed it to no avail. The techs told my wife they could smell what she was talking about. When corporate(Coyle) called me to tell me they were closing the ticket because (Sam) the service director said it smelled like new car smell i had them hold open the ticket. I called Sam and told him i would see him tomorrow so he could fix his error after we determine he never smelled my wife’s car. Sam opened the door in front of me and pulled back out and acknowledged that was definitely NOT a new car smell. We went back in and I had Sam call Coyle to confirm this, but of course Coyle didnt pick up. Sam and I both left voicemails, Coyle didnt call me back. Sam said he was contacting his director who would advise what they would do about this and would call me back. Sam didnt call me back either. I got home from work today and my wife tells me corporate called her and told her they were not going to do anything to fix the old sock smell in our $50,000 Hyundai and that she could take it up with the BBB. I heard Hyundai didnt have great service before, but seriously?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We’ve had our 2020 Palisade Limited that we purchased from Demontrand Hyundai in Texas City, TX, for about three months. It has a light interior. It started out with the new car smell. Then it went away and was replaced by a putrid odor. Everyday when we open the doors for the first time. It dissipates after about 40 minutes with the air on or the windows down. We’re not going to live with it. Left it at the dealer for one week and they didn’t smell anything. We smelled it the day before we took it and the day after we brought it back home. When I talked to Robert in Service there wasn’t any interest in pursuing it. Our problem.
We’re going to try a couple of things suggested here and if those don’t taker care of it we will be trading the stink box in on another car. Whatever happens, we will NEVER recommend a Hyundai to anyone. EVER.

·
Super Moderator
330 Posts
I would take it to the dealer and lock it up and come back the next day and let them smell it and i would do a Gene suggested and call hyundai usa customer service and they will open a case for you. This Robert in service I would take your case to the General Manger of the dealership and get him involved as they sure do not want to loose customers just be tactful and good luck I myself have never had any problems with my local Hyundai Dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also bought a Hyundai in January 2020 and it has about 3000 (long trip to beach otherwise driven >20 miles a week) miles on it as of April 2020. The first month everybody said “wow it smells like a new car it’s amazing” and I agreed. Then in March 20, this horrible odor started. Like many of these reviews discuss, when you open the door everybody definitely comments about the odor. This vehicle is only used by me and stays in the garage. I have cleaned, vacuumed and sprayed several times and cannot get rid of it. After reading these reviews, I’m taking it back to the Edmond dealership to see if they can use a professional machine to get rid of it.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I also bought a Hyundai in January 2020 and it has about 3000 (long trip to beach otherwise driven >20 miles a week) miles on it as of April 2020. The first month everybody said “wow it smells like a new car it’s amazing” and I agreed. Then in March 20, this horrible odor started. Like many of these reviews discuss, when you open the door everybody definitely comments about the odor. This vehicle is only used by me and stays in the garage. I have cleaned, vacuumed and sprayed several times and cannot get rid of it. After reading these reviews, I’m taking it back to the Edmond dealership to see if they can use a professional machine to get rid of it.
Is yours also a limited? What color interior?

·
Registered
2 Posts
if you smell an unpleasant smell its not just you and it isnt anything you have in the car. I bought a Limited Palisade with black interior in October 19. To put it in the words of the Hyundai technician “it smells like old worn socks”. The smell takes your breath away when you first open the door and i have a poor sense of smell. I met a woman with a Limited Palisade with light interior and when I mentioned this her eyes got big and threw her hands up in the air. She told me she purchased the first one the lot sold in July 2019 and had been thinking it was something she had in the car all along. She had been trying for 8 months at this point to get the smell out, but could not.
My wife opened a ticket with Hyundai’s corporate office after taking it to the dealership twice where they order bombed it and vacuumed it to no avail. The techs told my wife they could smell what she was talking about. When corporate(Coyle) called me to tell me they were closing the ticket because (Sam) the service director said it smelled like new car smell i had them hold open the ticket. I called Sam and told him i would see him tomorrow so he could fix his error after we determine he never smelled my wife’s car. Sam opened the door in front of me and pulled back out and acknowledged that was definitely NOT a new car smell. We went back in and I had Sam call Coyle to confirm this, but of course Coyle didnt pick up. Sam and I both left voicemails, Coyle didnt call me back. Sam said he was contacting his director who would advise what they would do about this and would call me back. Sam didnt call me back either. I got home from work today and my wife tells me corporate called her and told her they were not going to do anything to fix the old sock smell in our $50,000 Hyundai and that she could take it up with the BBB. I heard Hyundai didnt have great service before, but seriously?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for posting this!!! I purchased a limited beige 2020 in December 2019 in Southern California. The smell is so bad that every time I get in the car I have to roll all the windows down. My wife who is in the dental field… Has described it as the smell of Korean BBQ garlic halitosis breath. Noting that we did have the interior and exterior treatment performed. I honestly thought that this is how they’re supposed to smell and that’s what I get for buying a Hyundai. Your post has empowered me to speak up and say something to the dealer. $50,000 is a good deal for a car like this and figured that I just have to deal with the smell.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for posting this!!! I purchased a limited beige 2020 in December 2019 in Southern California. The smell is so bad that every time I get in the car I have to roll all the windows down. My wife who is in the dental field… Has described it as the smell of Korean BBQ garlic halitosis breath. Noting that we did have the interior and exterior treatment performed. I honestly thought that this is how they’re supposed to smell and that’s what I get for buying a Hyundai. Your post has empowered me to speak up and say something to the dealer. $50,000 is a good deal for a car like this and figured that I just have to deal with the smell.
I’m glad it helped. $50k is a large sum of money for a car the dealer service department won’t stand behind. The sad part is it’s such a great car if Hyundai’s service department would just own their problems and address them they’d have a great product. I think we will be selling ours after at least 15 dealer visits to address 4 issues with 2 still unresolved. Our blind spot monitoring system has a faulty sensor and Greg May Hyundai’s service department is trying to attribute it to two small scratches from what looks like a maybe a shopping cart scuff(There 4 months before any sensor issue) and they are guessing it bent the bracket behind the bumper. It’s BS I told them that and my bodyshop who said they would buff them out for free agreed. Again, I go online and there is a 100+ thread post about others having this same issue. It will eventually be a recall because it will brake the car and throw alarms when no one is around you or someone is behind you in the same lane and will unfortunately eventually cause an accident. My wife turned the driver assist blind spot system to “off” and it did not disable it, still blaring warnings randomly with no one around. Beware and it may be best to wait until Hyndaui fixes these problems before buying one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Take it to your dealer and demand they fix the problem and own the 50k they took from you(let me guess, you have a limited?). Dont let up when they try and tell you “it’s consistent with a new car smell”. Hyundai needs to stand behind their product Beyond the sale department.

·
Super Moderator
673 Posts
My KIA Optima had a nice new car smell when I first got it.
After my first service it came back with a terrible smell.
After talking to someone at the dealership, Someone I
knew in the service area.
I found out it may have been that the man working on my
car had gotten dirt or grease on car and wiped that off
with a dirty rag from a bucket near his work area.
Only way I found out was the mechanic I knew there
checked for me on the area car was worked on. He
smelled the same thing in the bucket
I had to wipe the interior down with a good cleaner and protectant
got rid of the smell.
Of course the dealership would never admit it.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts