Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Felt the need to register and make a post here to thank sonartech for your review, plenty of good info on some stuff we all may never try or think of on short test drives. I was quite interested in the Palisade, coming from a 2009 Highlander it felt like a Rolls Royce in comparison. Sadly, I think I'll be sticking with Toyota. Seems to be many issues with these vehicles both large (vibrations) and small, and some of the op's gripes would frankly drive me insane. How does a automaker do such a nice job on some stuff and just phone some details in?

A Kia Telluride I drove had a slight vibration and a check engine light. Sales dude blamed both on snowy roads. About a week later, drove a Palisade on wet roads and yep, vibration that started around 70. Too bad, they are very nice vehicles.
Keep in mind - I wrote this part for a reason:

"Here's where it gets ugly. Don't think for one second that I don't like the Palisade after reading this list - I really, really do (esp. when it costs half of what my Volvo XC90 T8 did)"

My Volvo had WAY more "significant" issues than this Hyundai Palisade has - and when you pay $82k for a car this is literally LOADED with problems (I went through 2 electric motor replacements, 2 computers, 1 center control console replacement, 100's of 'involuntary and unexpected' system reboots, several hours lost waiting for my Volvo to "boot up", 20+ total software updates and about 20 other "misc" issues in just 3 years!!) the problems I've had thus far with the Palisade are quite tame. Yeah, there's some misses for sure and a lot of things could be improved, but let's just say the ONLY thing I miss about my Volvo is the Bowers-Wilkins audio system. The Volvo's Hybrid support? CRAP. The center control console "sensus"? HARDCORE CRAP. Electric-only mode? SUPER EXTRA-TURDY CRAP. And I could go on and on about the problems I had with my Volvo...

Please don't get stuck on the negatives here. While I have a problem with Hyundai's customer support (or lack thereof), I still feel an educated consumer's way more effective at getting problems resolved with the dealer than any customer support person that can't be bothered to forward your question to someone else for an answer is.

·
Registered
157 Posts
How does a automaker do such a nice job on some stuff and just phone some details in?
I would say most automakers have some misses on brand new models. Toyota is no exception. While I do agree with some of the misses that everyone talks about, they are so overshadowed by all the features that I love, the misses seem pretty insignificant.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Regarding the Android Auto thing, the reason it's an annoyance for me is that I use a thumb drive for music and that eats the single data port. I heard rumors that Hyundai was working on an option to use Android Auto via Bluetooth instead of direct wire, and I know AA already supports that. Not sure what Hyundai has to change on the backside to make that happen, but that might solve several of my particular issues at the same time if it actually happens.
Couldn’t you use a ”Y” cable and split it?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Done a fair amount of research and the Y adapters are basically a USB Hub and no Go with Android Auto and Apple Car Play.

There is also a Car2Play Wired to wireless adapter with a pass though USB port, but no one has been able to confirm it works. Not even the company that makes it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sonartech and other contributors, thank you for posting all the Pros and Cons Reviews for the 2020 Palisade. This discussion is very useful to learn things salesperson would not tell you. Thinking to get my 2020 Limited Palisade maybe in 3-6 month. Meanwhile reading the forum with the greatest interest.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Have you written a review for your 2020 Palisade? If so, please share! We can learn a lot from each other by reading these.
I've only been looking at the Palisade for about a month, discovered it after I read an article about the Genesis GV80. I was looking to replace my 2017 Audi Q5 for several reasons, one of which is the very high cost of maintenance for the Audi. I just wasn't going to drive it for 7-9 years like all of my other automobiles and stick tons of money into it past the warranty.

I just bought my Palisade Limited yesterday, after 3 test drives, and watching virtually every youtube video on the Palisade and reading as many reviews as I could.

I must say, Sonartech, your list of pluses is spot on. It is interesting to see you compare it to a $87K Luxury vehicle and see the Palisade surpass it in many, many ways. Your list of minuses, however, are beyond nit picky. Auto stop/start reset is a government regulation, I believe. At least all other vehicles that have this feature do not allow you to permanently disable it, only on a trip by trip basis. Welcome to a green new world. Same with the 10 minute auto shut off, I'm sure. 10 minutes is more than enough to get a vehicle pre-heated or cooled enough to get in it and drive off comfortably. If you need more than that, you are starting your vehicle way too early anyway.

Complaining about a steering wheel with manual adjustment not being able to auto adjust with the saved driver seat position? IT'S MANUAL. It can't. How many vehicles under $50K have power adjusting steering wheels? Probably zero. Did your center rearview mirror in the Volvo also adjust with the driver seat position? It's more likely to need to adjust the rearview mirror with a new seat position than the steering wheel. But I'll bet even the 87K luxury vehicle didn't have power adjusting center rearview mirror.

But you are right about the omissions of power folding mirrors, seat heaters not coming on with remote start, and no glovebox lock. Although, these are very minor things, not close to being a deal breaker for me. As the vast majority of reviewers say, this is a luxury bargain. I would expect the price to go up for the 2021 build, and it will still be a great value.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
2 Posts
As my first post here, let me first say how much I love these cars. I am upset that we can't get the Calligraphy VIP edition they have in Korea, but the Calligraphy edition will do. I HAD a 2021 SEL with Premium and Convenience package for 7 days and a drunk kid ran a red light and took out the entire right side from the front fender all the way back to the rear bumper cover and ripped off the rear passenger wheel. Long story short, they totaled the Palisade (and the volvo that the jackals was driving, as well as the range rover behind us that he smashed into after us.) I just put my deposit down on a Calligraphy (I got a really good deal in Miami which is 5hrs away from me) so now I just have to go get it. First, I haven't had any $80k vehicles, so I can't compare it to those this car will be twice as much as I've ever spent on a vehicle. There are 3 main issues that I have with the Palisade -
1. This one seems simple, why is there no 3rd dome light? The rear seats are in the dark when the car is lit up inside. There is a light for the trunk, the center row, and the front row but none for the 3rd row. That looks like a small oversight that would be very functional.
2. Wireless android auto. Why is it only on the Palisades without leather? They have wireless AA on the SE and SEL without the Premium Package, but once you add the premium package (the first with leather) it takes away the wireless feature of the AA.
3. The wireless charger- the first thing that anyone ever discovered about wireless charging (besides it being awesome) is that it generates heat. A lot of heat. Why would they create a hotbox for that function? It's literally tucked away in a spot that gets 0 airflow. I plugged in one of those $1 fans that bend into the data USB port and just bend it down, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless charging - if I have to plug in something, it might as well be my phone. A tiny 12v fan in the back of that "cubby hole" they have there that could be activated when the charger begins charging would be very beneficial. I had an S9 and it kept pausing the wireless charging due to overheating, making that feature pretty much useless.
Those are really the only 3 issues I had, and I loved a million other features, so I got another one. My past two vehicles were Toyota, and I love ASIA and Asian cars (I even went to the Seoul Motor Show one year). I can't knock Toyota for much of anything, but I love these Palisades.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
As my first post here, let me first say how much I love these cars. I am upset that we can't get the Calligraphy VIP edition they have in Korea, but the Calligraphy edition will do. I HAD a 2021 SEL with Premium and Convenience package for 7 days and a drunk kid ran a red light and took out the entire right side from the front fender all the way back to the rear bumper cover and ripped off the rear passenger wheel. Long story short, they totaled the Palisade (and the volvo that the jackals was driving, as well as the range rover behind us that he smashed into after us.) I just put my deposit down on a Calligraphy (I got a really good deal in Miami which is 5hrs away from me) so now I just have to go get it. First, I haven't had any $80k vehicles, so I can't compare it to those this car will be twice as much as I've ever spent on a vehicle. There are 3 main issues that I have with the Palisade -
1. This one seems simple, why is there no 3rd dome light? The rear seats are in the dark when the car is lit up inside. There is a light for the trunk, the center row, and the front row but none for the 3rd row. That looks like a small oversight that would be very functional.
2. Wireless android auto. Why is it only on the Palisades without leather? They have wireless AA on the SE and SEL without the Premium Package, but once you add the premium package (the first with leather) it takes away the wireless feature of the AA.
3. The wireless charger- the first thing that anyone ever discovered about wireless charging (besides it being awesome) is that it generates heat. A lot of heat. Why would they create a hotbox for that function? It's literally tucked away in a spot that gets 0 airflow. I plugged in one of those $1 fans that bend into the data USB port and just bend it down, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having wireless charging - if I have to plug in something, it might as well be my phone. A tiny 12v fan in the back of that "cubby hole" they have there that could be activated when the charger begins charging would be very beneficial. I had an S9 and it kept pausing the wireless charging due to overheating, making that feature pretty much useless.
Those are really the only 3 issues I had, and I loved a million other features, so I got another one. My past two vehicles were Toyota, and I love ASIA and Asian cars (I even went to the Seoul Motor Show one year). I can't knock Toyota for much of anything, but I love these Palisades.
1. Agreed: the trunk light should come on when the doors are open, for visibility in the 3rd row.

2. Because the high-end infotainment system is still pretty new. The low-end one was older and due for a refresh, which happened for model year 2021. They are adding wireless CarPlay/Android Auto to all their infotainment systems. They just can’t do all of them at once. It’s not a matter of trim level or the Palisade specifically: the 2020 model didn’t have wireless at all.

3. They added a fan for it in the 2020 Sonata. I suspect they will add one to the Palisade when they refresh the model in probably a couple of years. I think this is a case of Hyundai learning at they go. Kinda like the towing using a 4-wire system on the 2020 model and a 7-wire system on the 2021. They’re learning.

Make sure they get your feedback, via surveys or by contacting them.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
2 Posts
1. Agreed: the trunk light should come on when the doors are open, for visibility in the 3rd row.

2. Because the high-end infotainment system is still pretty new. The low-end one was older and due for a refresh, which happened for model year 2021. They are adding wireless CarPlay/Android Auto to all their infotainment systems. They just can’t do all of them at once. It’s not a matter of trim level or the Palisade specifically: the 2020 model didn’t have wireless at all.

3. They added a fan for it in the 2020 Sonata. I suspect they will add one to the Palisade when they refresh the model in probably a couple of years. I think this is a case of Hyundai learning at they go. Kinda like the towing using a 4-wire system on the 2020 model and a 7-wire system on the 2021. They’re learning.

Make sure they get your feedback, via surveys or by contacting them.
I like your enthusiasm, however, I have been to Korea multiple times and have seen the stuff they have done since 2010 all the way through 2018 and I can say unfortunately, we get the lower model stuff here in the U.S.
I did make sure to fill out the surveys etc.
As far as the third row light, there isn't one there. There is a trunk light, but that doesn't really illuminate the third row. 😔 They have taxis there called "Black" taxi and they travel like 50% or more over the speed limit typically straight shot from Seoul to Incheon. Those are super luxury cars that we can't get here. Samsung makes some pretty luxurious cars there.
On a side note, do you think I could get in trouble for driving with this plate on the front of my palisade? (Picture of my old Palisade)

Attachments

21 - 31 of 31 Posts