Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite drive mode, and why? I’ve put nearly 3000 miles on my new Palisade Limited (not AWD) and haven’t chosen a favorite, so my go-to is Smart. But I really like the sport mode for its quick pick-up on non-freeway roads.

·
Registered
164 Posts
What are these various drive modes actually changing? Shift points? Power ratio front/rear?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are these various drive modes actually changing? Shift points? Power ratio front/rear?
This was answered in another thread.

·
Registered
164 Posts
This was answered in another thread.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
AnnaW
Do you notice a difference, in quick pick-up on non-freeway roads, between sport mode, and letting Smart mode select sport mode by itself; When you get on the gas. I thought that was what smart mode does, select between eco, comfort, and sport by itself.
I've noticed it changing between eco and comfort modes. Haven't really gotten on the gas yet as it is still in a breakin stage. Only had it a week. Should go to sport mode by itself if what the manual says is true

·
Registered
230 Posts
Here's my two cents - when I bought mine, the sales guy had a young techie guy sit with us and thoroughly go over the menus, best selections, etc. He told me to always keep the parking sensor switch on (light is illuminated) as well as the blind spot switch on(light also illuminated) - this switch is under the dash right by your left knee.

As to your questions re drive Mode - he was in favor of leaving it in Smart Mode so that's what I've been doing and it seems fine. (I do like the cluster color displays when you change modes)..

Also on another note I am trying to remember each time to turn off the Idle stop start switch as I am not a fan of this feature. I wonder if over the long haul , when you let the engine stop and start so often, does it cause wear and tear on the starter, etc???

·
Registered
126 Posts
I agree with you AnnaW. Most of my driving is city driving so I will usually keep it in SMART mode unless I know I need the quicker throttle response time then I shift it to SPORT. On the highway, I may shift it to SPORT for merging with traffic, but for the most part I will leave it in SMART or turn it to COMFORT mode. I have tried SMART, COMFORT and ECO on the highway and can honestly say that I didn't notice a difference between ride quality and/or fuel consumption (most recent trip was 450 total miles). I think I place it into COMFORT for the placebo effect. I have yet to tow anything with the vehicle and figured I would experiment with the modes when the time comes (and probably just leave it in SMART)...but does anyone have a preferred mode for this situation?

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I don't have a photo of it handy, but one of the info you can show in the middle of the digital cluster is the drive mode (I have a Limited, so I only know the fully-digital cluster). In Smart mode, there's a bar below the word "Smart" (I think - I don't recall exactly). The default mode is Comfort. But watch the cluster as you drive. If you drive aggressively, the bar will slowly fill up in red from the center of the bar towards the right. If it fills up completely, the car switches to sport mode. Similarly, if you drive economically, the bar will slowly fill up in green from the center of the bar towards the left. If it fills up completely, it switches to Eco mode.

It keeps doing that and switching drive modes back and forth. The whole bar filling up thing is just a visual representation, but it's meant to illustrate that the car gives doesn't constantly and instantly switch modes. It waits to see if this is how you're driving for a little while before deciding to switch modes. Otherwise, it would constantly switch to sport when you hit the gas pedal, and constantly switch to eco when you start coasting.

·
Registered
90 Posts
IMO, this is one place that the reviews of the Palisade have fallen short. Most I have read or seen were either at highway speeds and/or at high elevations when the reviewer tried the Sport mode and the result was just "meh". Actually, in the city and suburban driving, shifting into Sport makes it into a different car - very responsive and fun to drive. Too bad the reviewers didn't try it under these conditions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What is your favorite drive mode, and why? I’ve put nearly 3000 miles on my new Palisade Limited (not AWD) and haven’t chosen a favorite, so my go-to is Smart. But I really like the sport mode for its quick pick-up on non-freeway roads.
I only have about 800 miles on my AWD Limited but I am liking ECO. We purchased our car in Medford, OR and live in Concord, CA. The salesman suggested we start with Comfort, but after driving for a few hours in cruise control and all freeway with some mountains, our gas mileage was only 17.5. So I switched to ECO and it immediately started to climb. By the time we got to Redding, CA which is about 150 miles, we were at 23.9 and the listed MPG for the AWD is 24. We filled up in Redding and drove into our driveway in Concord with 28 MPG. This is mostly freeway, but there was some traffic along the way and in Concord we had to drive through town for about 10 miles to get to our house. I am not an aggressive driver and I am happy with ECO. I am thrilled with this mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had my Palisade Limited for almost a year and have 23,000 miles on it. (Drive to work is 50 miles door to door, so 100 round trip) I have found Smart is the best for me since I have so many different types of roads I drive on, however, where I know there is a rough section, I will turn it onto comfort. My mechanic said that Smart is the best mode to use for the engine and that too many miles on Eco will have adverse effects on the engine. I do have a question though... What mode is best for rain? I am thinking Comfort, but not sure about that? I chose not to get the AWD since I live in GA.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just leave mine in Smart mode as I am just normally doing regular driving with it and figure the computer is probably smarter than I am and know best. The Drive Mode only changes engine and transmission inputs and does NOT do anything to the suspension, so your ride is not going to change any no matter what you select. As for one mode over another having adverse effects on the engine makes no sense as I can't see Hyundai designing something that would potentially harm the vehicle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
IMO, this is one place that the reviews of the Palisade have fallen short. Most I have read or seen were either at highway speeds and/or at high elevations when the reviewer tried the Sport mode and the result was just "meh". Actually, in the city and suburban driving, shifting into Sport makes it into a different car - very responsive and fun to drive. Too bad the reviewers didn't try it under these conditions.
I definitely notice a difference in Sport mode! I switch it to that when I am getting on the crowded interstate. I have to get over 5 lanes in a short time to get into our HOT lane and sport definitely gives me the kick I need when I need it. The cameras going down the side is also an AMAZING feature that helps me maneuver that little trick daily.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here's my two cents - when I bought mine, the sales guy had a young techie guy sit with us and thoroughly go over the menus, best selections, etc. He told me to always keep the parking sensor switch on (light is illuminated) as well as the blind spot switch on(light also illuminated) - this switch is under the dash right by your left knee.

As to your questions re drive Mode - he was in favor of leaving it in Smart Mode so that's what I've been doing and it seems fine. (I do like the cluster color displays when you change modes)..

Also on another note I am trying to remember each time to turn off the Idle stop start switch as I am not a fan of this feature. I wonder if over the long haul , when you let the engine stop and start so often, does it cause wear and tear on the starter, etc???
I agree with you regarding that auto off switch. It drives me crazy and yes, it will wear out your starter after time. My routine for starting up my car when I get in is to click all the buttons needed, including the auto off button and my seat climate. The auto off switch will not go away, so we have to get used to it, though I wish they made you select it if you wanted it to shut off, but then environmentalists would have an issue with that.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It will wear out your starter after time.
This isn't true. Cars with auto start/stop use specially-designed starters, as well as other hardware. Random Google link on the subject (there are more): Don't start-stop systems wear out your car's starter?

There's nothing wrong with using the auto start/stop system.

As to Drive modes, in Smart, it will respond to how you drive the vehicle. So when you need power, it will give it to you and temporarily switch to Sport, then revert back when you're done. You just don't get a little animation when that happens like you do when you manually switch to Sport mode. There's no need to switch to Sport mode manually unless you want to stay in Sport no matter what.

Also note that with cruise control on, the modes don't matter. For example, Smart is off with Cruise Control on even if you have it selected. This applies if you use Cruise Control on your commute.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts