Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
So here’s the deal. I went and purchased an iPhone 12 Pro Max last night. This has nothing to do with the wireless CarPlay problem I’ve been having, but this phone has 5G bandwidth. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, but I connected the new phone on may way home and wireless CarPlay worked great! No drops at all. Going to test it in again soon, but it worked last night. Prior to this I had a XR iPhone. It had up to date software but CarPlay would disconnect every 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade
7 Posts
Well that’s
So here’s the deal. I went and purchased an iPhone 12 Pro Max last night. This has nothing to do with the wireless CarPlay problem I’ve been having, but this phone has 5G bandwidth. I don’t know if that had anything to do with it, but I connected the new phone on may way home and wireless CarPlay worked great! No drops at all. Going to test it in again soon, but it worked last night. Prior to this I had a XR iPhone. It had up to date software but CarPlay would disconnect every 5 minutes.
Well that’s great news! Keep us posted and let us know if anything changes. I don’t even use the Apple car play anymore because it was so frustrating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well that’s

Well that’s great news! Keep us posted and let us know if anything changes. I don’t even use the Apple car play anymore because it was so frustrating.
Yes, it’s working 90 percent of the time since I bought this new phone. You must be in an area where you can maintain a WiFi connection along with the Bluetooth connection for it to work properly. It seems to love this 5G.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
There is now a software update for the Palisade infotainment system without nav that fixes issues with wireless CarPlay/Android Auto on 2021 models.

See here: Notice | Official Hyundai Motors Navigation Update Website
And here for instructions and download link: HYUNDAI NAVIGATION MAP UPDATE > Notifications

Now here's the interesting and untested part: this update is marked as working on 2020 models at the link above, even though 2020 model don't have wireless CP/AA. Sonata owners have reported that they were able to apply the update in engineering mode on their 2020 models (which also didn't come with wireless CP/AA until 2021) and managed to get wireless CP/AA enabled. No idea if this works on 2020 Palisade and, if you decide to try, you do so at your own risks.

I don't own a Palisade model without navigation, so I can't vouch for this, but here is how you enter engineering mode, as reported by Sonata owners: go to Setup / General Settings / SW Info / Update. There is a large Update button in the center section with small blank spaces on either side. Press the left space 5 times and then once on the right side. A password prompt should appear. It has been reported that 2400 is the password (it might also be the current time, or 2900. Engineering mode should then appear. Screenshot below is from a Sonata.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The only 2021 models with wireless CarPlay are the ones with the 8” screen, and they do not have Bluelink. Getting Bluelink requires getting the 10.25” unit with factory navigation, which does not support wireless CarPlay.

Of course, you’re also limited by the features of the car, since you can’t get anything more than an SEL with the Convenience Package and still get the 8” screen.

It’s way easier to add a $130 dongle to a nice Palisade than to get one with far fewer overall features just to get one thing you want.
What I’m confused about is that the Palisade has wireless charging however you have to use the USB for CarPlay. So why have wireless charging if you have to plug in anyway for CarPlay?!? Strange

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
268 Posts
What I’m confused about is that the Palisade has wireless charging however you have to use the USB for CarPlay. So why have wireless charging if you have to plug in anyway for CarPlay?!? Strange
Not everyone even knows about, or cares about, CarPlay or Android Auto. For those that are fine with the factory interface and setup, just connecting your phone with Bluetooth to get music and such is good enough. Using the wireless charger would work great for those people.

The Palisade is also designed to carry lots of people. There might be a passenger who wants to top up a little with the wireless charger if they didn’t bring a cable with them.

Just because one feature hasn’t been made available (wireless CarPlay/AA on the 10.25” screen), doesn’t preclude other features from being offered.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I never understood the love for CarPlay. The Hyundai NAV is excellent. I do like WAZE for the police alerts. So on a trip I have WAZE on my cellphone sitting in the charger. If there is a police alert I will hear it announced. The NAV screen on my dash does a fine job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You don’t have to plug it in for wireless CarPlay. You just plug in to charge up your phone. If you need to plug in to use CarPlay, it is not wireless.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There's no wireless CarPlay on the Calligraphy. Only the low-end infotainment system (without nav) is getting wireless CarPlay for model year 2021.

Please show us pictures. Did you go with the new dark brown interior?
Which to me is totally ridiculous as everyone has been asking for this. Should be included in higher trims. Since when is a sought after feature only available on lower trim levels

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Which to me is totally ridiculous as everyone has been asking for this. Should be included in higher trims. Since when is a sought after feature only available on lower trim levels
None of the trim levels had it in 2020. They refreshed the low-end system for 2021. The high-end system is newer and not due for a refresh yet. I’m sure it will happen in due course. It takes time to upgrade every infotainment system across every model for every car in every country that Hyundai sells cars in.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
So why have wireless charging if you have to plug in anyway for CarPlay?!?
The Palisade does have wireless Carplay (meaning HotSpot Wi-Fi)... but in Korea (and maybe other markets, but not in the US). And same thing with adjustable shocks, a better stereo, power folding mirrors, using cell phone and a card as keys (like Teslas), engine fake noise, and several other features I don't remember at the moment (all listed in the owner's manual).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Palisade does have wireless Carplay (meaning HotSpot Wi-Fi)... but in Korea (and maybe other markets, but not in the US). And same thing with adjustable shocks, a better stereo, power folding mirrors, using cell phone and a card as keys (like Teslas), engine fake noise, and several other features I don't remember at the moment (all listed in the owner's manual).
Wireless charging and wireless CarPlay aren’t the same thing. The higher end Pali has Bluelink. Lower end doesn’t, but we have wireless CarPlay in the ‘21 SEL. YOU eventually have to pay for Bluelink.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
Nobody is confusing wireless charging with wireless Carplay, so don't know where you got that. Somebody just mentioned it doesn't make sense to have one and not the other. And all I said is Korean top trim Palisades have everything.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nobody is confusing wireless charging with wireless Carplay, so don't know where you got that. Somebody just mentioned it doesn't make sense to have one and not the other. And all I said is Korean top trim Palisades have everything.
The Palisade has wireless CarPlay on the low-end infotainment system as of 2021 models in the US, but not on the high-end one. This isn't a function of where it's sold, it's what the infotainment systems can and cannot do.

Wireless CarPlay does require a WiFi connection to the head unit, but that doesn't mean it's a hotspot. It's dedicated to running CP (or AA) and not available for anything else. This isn't the same as the hotspot you get on GM cars for example, where multiple cell phones can connect to it and where the built-in cellular connection is used for Internet access. On Hyundai vehicles, there's no such feature.

A bunch of the other features you mentioned aren't actually available on the South Korean Palisade. I'm not sure where you're getting this info. About the only one you got correct is the power-folding mirrors.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to confirm Malik6 experience. I have a 2021 SEL Conv Package and was using an iphone XR. Had terrible connectivity issues with wireless car play. I recently got an iphone 12 and the problem has gone away - at least for the past three weeks that i've had the phone. I think the BT and Wifi chips are probably the same between the phones, but I had heard that cell strength can affect - although no clue why. But, perhaps, Malik6 is correct in that the 5G radio and it's extra bandwidth on the iphone 12 (and later) solves the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all!
Thats fantastic I am so glad it worked. From the carlinkitcarplay.com reviews they were really happy too.

Now that I have it working in another vehicle I hope we can get it working on the 2021 Palisade. I am eagerly awaiting for you to set this device up on the Palisade.😃

21 - 39 of 39 Posts