Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Calligraphy yesterday, and I can’t figure out how to use wireless CarPlay. I can only get it working using a USB. Is there a trick I’m missing to use it?

I noticed on a YouTube video, the infotainment screen should say something along the lines of, “You can connect Apple CarPlay using a usb cable or by connecting wirelessly”. Mine just says, “You can connect Apple CarPlay by using a usb cable”. I test drove a limited last week, and noticed the same thing. Maybe it has to be activated somehow? Or a firmware update?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I bought a Calligraphy yesterday, and I can’t figure out how to use wireless CarPlay. I can only get it working using a USB. Is there a trick I’m missing to use it?

I noticed on a YouTube video, the infotainment screen should say something along the lines of, “You can connect Apple CarPlay using a usb cable or by connecting wirelessly”. Mine just says, “You can connect Apple CarPlay by using a usb cable”. I test drove a limited last week, and noticed the same thing. Maybe it has to be activated somehow? Or a firmware update?
There's no wireless CarPlay on the Calligraphy. Only the low-end infotainment system (without nav) is getting wireless CarPlay for model year 2021.

Please show us pictures. Did you go with the new dark brown interior?

·
Registered
4 Posts
just got my 2021 Luxury trim (Canada's SEL + premium package)
Been in IT in 15 years and can't get the wireless car play to work. Hyundai states it comes standard on the 2021.....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
just got my 2021 Luxury trim (Canada's SEL + premium package)
Been in IT in 15 years and can't get the wireless car play to work. Hyundai states it comes standard on the 2021.....
So if I'm reading Hyundai Canada's website carefully, which doesn't yet show the 2021 models, the Luxury trim comes with navigation, which means the high-end, larger infotainment system. That system does not have wireless CarPlay. Only the low-end infotainment system gets it, because it is new for 2021. The high-end one is the same as 2020. So do you have navigation and the larger infotainment system? If so, no wireless CarPlay. I did mention that in the post right before yours in this thread.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So if I'm reading Hyundai Canada's website carefully, which doesn't yet show the 2021 models, the Luxury trim comes with navigation, which means the high-end, larger infotainment system. That system does not have wireless CarPlay. Only the low-end infotainment system gets it, because it is new for 2021. The high-end one is the same as 2020. So do you have navigation and the larger infotainment system? If so, no wireless CarPlay. I did mention that in the post right before yours in this thread.
This is so strange that the more expensive trims don't get the luxury item....
The only thing I can think of is bluelink is added to these trims which add the LTE modem and replaces the wifi hardware which is needed to do wireless carplay.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
The only thing I can think of is bluelink is added to these trims which add the LTE modem and replaces the wifi hardware which is needed to do wireless carplay.
I wouldn’t read too much into it. It just so happens that the low-end system was due for a redesign. The high-end one is still pretty new. And wireless CarPlay isn’t very widespread yet. Until very recently, only BMW had implemented it.

There’s an engineering mode on the infotainment system. I haven’t tried it on my Palisade, but I’ve seen Sonata owners try it (it uses the same high-end infotainment as ours), and there does seem to be a WiFi module in there that is not currently used for anything.

·
Registered
2021 SEL, White, Convenience Package, Factory Wireless CarPlay
9 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, my experience with wireless CarPlay has been trash in my Palisade.

It drops connection once every 15 minutes or so. Audio isn’t interrupted, it continues seemlessly through Bluetooth and I’m almost always immediately able to reconnect (I have the media button setup to be just CarPlay, so I just have to hit that when it drops.)

I thought it might be my phone, but I’ve noticed that it seems to drop less frequently when I don’t have my large metal coffee cup in the cup holder. It seems even less frequent when there’s no cups in the cup holder at all (my phone is usually on the Qi charger).

it’s so frustrating that I think I’m going to resetup CarPlay with just the wire and try to skip the wireless.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade
7 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, my experience with wireless CarPlay has been trash in my Palisade.

It drops connection once every 15 minutes or so. Audio isn’t interrupted, it continues seemlessly through Bluetooth and I’m almost always immediately able to reconnect (I have the media button setup to be just CarPlay, so I just have to hit that when it drops.)

I thought it might be my phone, but I’ve noticed that it seems to drop less frequently when I don’t have my large metal coffee cup in the cup holder. It seems even less frequent when there’s no cups in the cup holder at all (my phone is usually on the Qi charger).

it’s so frustrating that I think I’m going to resetup CarPlay with just the wire and try to skip the wireless.
I am having this same issue. We just purchased the 2021 Palisade and It drops connection once every 15 minutes or so.

Here is a video that I took: https://youtu.be/52zw34ok3jg

Has there been a resolution for this? I have even tried to plug in the phone directly into the USB using a certified cord and it still does not connect.

HELP!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My problem has gotten considerably worse with the latest beta. My hope is that it’s actually an iOS network issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think that’s correct and I’d much rather have bluelink than wireless CarPlay. That said, wired CarPlay is a dream in the Palisade. My caddy would take so long to hook in and sometimes wouldn’t work at all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wonder if the dealerships have a software update available. Or one via usb- it seems like there’s the ability in the system to update from usb

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade
7 Posts
I called my local dealership yesterday and asked and they said there is currently no upgrade. They also mentioned that I was the first person to report an issue.

I am not sure if it’s faulty units or what.

it’s very frustrating. I don’t even connect to it anymore because when using it with maps it’s impossible to get the correct directions.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hyundai apparently has a habit of this. My 2016 G80 AWD without the tech package just got CarPlay with a firmware update - wired, and it works great for the most part. If you sprung for the fancy tech package, you're out of luck and it's not supported. There are supposedly USB WiFi dongles that you can use but I have no idea how well they work. I do plan on researching it for my wife's new Palisade, because with wireless charging, it makes sense. For my vehicle, I have to plug it in regardless to charge so I don't really care.

·
Registered
4 Posts

If you can Believe it you spend all this money for the top model and Apple CarPlay wireless it’s not offered in it it’s only offered in the lower models complete bullshit as far as I’m concerned and hi Hyundai needs to do something about that why spend all the extra money and get half the features!! I am completely unhappy about this as well!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
If you can Believe it you spend all this money for the top model and Apple CarPlay wireless it’s not offered in it it’s only offered in the lower models complete bullshit as far as I’m concerned and hi Hyundai needs to do something about that why spend all the extra money and get half the features!! I am completely unhappy about this as well!
That's because they updated the base infotainment system for 2021. The high-end one with nav is still fairly new and wasn't updated for 2021. They will eventually, but not for 2021.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Question, if you have wireless CarPlay, do you give up anything? I read in a post, it seemed to say, that you don’t get Bluelink? Any truth?

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
268 Posts
Question, if you have wireless CarPlay, do you give up anything? I read in a post, it seemed to say, that you don’t get Bluelink? Any truth?
The only 2021 models with wireless CarPlay are the ones with the 8” screen, and they do not have Bluelink. Getting Bluelink requires getting the 10.25” unit with factory navigation, which does not support wireless CarPlay.

Of course, you’re also limited by the features of the car, since you can’t get anything more than an SEL with the Convenience Package and still get the 8” screen.

It’s way easier to add a $130 dongle to a nice Palisade than to get one with far fewer overall features just to get one thing you want.

Reactions: Hovtech
1 - 20 of 39 Posts