Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I have been eyeing Wireless Apple Car play since I bought my Palisade. Apple supports this feature directly, but only a few car manufactures have supported it to date (on even fewer models). In my case I have additional motivation my work provided Iphone 8
plus has a worn lightning jack so using it for Apple car play and charge is an exercise in intermittent disconnects if jostled in the least little bit. I swear if you look it at wrong it disconnects lol.

After researching wired to wireless Apple Car play adapter there is only one manufacturer in China with two brands: Carlinkit and Carplay2air.

Carlinkit is sold via Amazon and Ebay stores and the Carplay2air is only sold direct on its own website. After a lot of reading in many forums they are the same device/s and use the same software update servers. The marketing for Carplay2air is much better and they only sell two models one for Factory OEM AV systems and One for Android based Head Units. Carlinkit has many models and even the same model sold by Amazon direct shipped from US and then one Sold Direct by Carlinkit via Amazon shipping from China. Naturally with COVD19 flying around the world availability and in Carlinkit case pricing is more volatile then it was on both.

In the end I chose Carlinkit sold direct from Amazon, because I like Amazon's return policies and Prime shipping in 1-2 days. When I tested Carplay2air pre sales/technical support (3 months ago) I had to write 3 times and got very poor answers (really just wanted to know about the devices pass though ports capabilities and purpose).

At the time of my purchase the Amazon prime direct shipping version of CarlinkIt was around $30 more. In the past they were separated by around $5. Amazon gets it to you 1-2 days if its in stock. The direct from China version takes a while.

** I set it up tonight and did some brief tests with it. It took some trial and error to get it working. I cleared all existing connections to my Phone and Palisade. It works very well so far. It boots into Apple car play very quickly. Much better then what I was dealing with my flaky lighting jack on my phone. I even did a software update on the device. I'll provide more feedback when I have tested it further. If you order make sure you get the version for Factory OEM AV Wired CarPlay to Wireless. Not Android head units.

Wireless Apple CarPlay Adapters
Carlinkit:

or
Carplay2air

I also only Own SEL with out any options so I had no wireless charging.

Wirless Charger:

I also wanted to preserve my my non-data charge port for my wife so needed to convert accessory outlet available in the compartment under the electronic shifter (did not want to use the center armrest no pass though channel forward).

Accessory Adapter:

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the CarPlay2Air for my Limited and can recommend it highly. You are right, though, that the company’s communication leaves a lot to be desired. It’s a bit expensive, but worth it if you want to use CarPlay.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah almost ordered from CarPlay2Air too as their Website and info is clearer. Carlinkit at the moment is around the same price, actually it went up $10 dollars from when I ordered it, at the time it was exactly the same. I guess supply and demand. I do like it in my limited testing.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One oddity i noticed is with dongle in place if your running in accessory mode parked car sometimes does not want to turn off accessory power. I know it shuts off power anyway eventually. Cant alway toogle Start/Stop to Car Completely off.

·
Registered
90 Posts
One oddity i noticed is with dongle in place if your running in accessory mode parked car sometimes does not want to turn off accessory power. I know it shuts off power anyway eventually. Cant alway toogle Start/Stop to Car Completely off.
I haven’t seen anything like that. Everything works as expected so far.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks even then its a bit random. Its really like a laptop. One button does it all. There is no actual off, just a toggle. On, On Acc, Engine start if you have foot on break. They don't always do what you want either, LOL.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks even then its a bit random. Its really like a laptop. One button does it all. There is no actual off, just a toggle. On, On Acc, Engine start if you have foot on break. They don't always do what you want either, LOL.
I know. I already killed my battery once thinking I had the ignition off when it wasn’t. ?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have not done that yet but I left the engine running a couple of times. I wish it would not do that or give a choice. I was once really happy though cause I drove wife to train station did not realize i did not have my key even though car sounded alarm when she left. Drove my Son to Orthodondist 10 miles away. Noticed when pulled into lot NO FOB Had to send my son alone was afraid to turn off car. LOL Would have had to take a cab for the FOB/Key.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure these devices work for AA. Not to be confused with Android based Head Units. I looked briefly and got a headache searching. It can be confusing looking for CarPlay too.

You have:
Factory AV head units
Aftermarket AV units
Each of which may or may not work with Apple Car Play and AA (Android Auto).

Then you have to find something that converts the wired to wireless connection for factory AV and AA.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure these devices work for AA. Not to be confused with Android based Head Units. I looked briefly and got a headache searching. It can be confusing looking for CarPlay too.

You have:
Factory AV head units
Aftermarket AV units
Each of which may or may not work with Apple Car Play and AA (Android Auto).

Then you have to find something that converts the wired to wireless connection for factory AV and AA.
What a pain in the ass. Can't believe Android Auto wireless isn't standard in new cars.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Not standard in Apple car play yet either. Heck only in 2020
did Toyota add AA and Apple Car play to Highlander. Like everything starts with Lux cars and becomes standard through out the market. Wireless will become standard. I am sure your aware as well AA was often left off even when Carplay was added. No idea why since market share of Android was larger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does the dongle plug in next to the wireless charging pad in the console or can it be plugged in underneath the top of the console? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Does the dongle plug in next to the wireless charging pad in the console or can it be plugged in underneath the top of the console? Thanks!
The only USB port that has a data connection in the Palisade is the one next to the wireless charger, in the center console. So that is where you would have to plug the adapter into.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts