Yep

Honda

Toyota

Subaru

Hyundai

·
Registered
600 Posts
Like I said, only Subaru and Hyundai Motors for 2020. Looks like the Hondas were CRV’s through 2019 and the Toyota’s were for Prius through 2017 (3 years ago). Seems like a strange response if Hyundai motors says ‘hey CRV’s and Priuses suck too’. Probably rings a little hollow for buyers of $48K Limiteds. Hope Hyundai gets this sorted soon for owners.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Like I said, only Subaru and Hyundai Motors for 2020. Looks like the Hondas were CRV’s through 2019 and the Toyota’s were for Prius through 2017 (3 years ago). Seems like a strange response if Hyundai motors says ‘hey CRV’s and Priuses suck too’. Probably rings a little hollow for buyers of $48K Limiteds. Hope Hyundai gets this sorted soon for owners.
Why does the year matter. Technically 2020 Palisade is more like 2019 but like I said, when I got the 2016 Hyundai Tucson I started seeing same posts and complaints.

Point I'm trying to make and others as well is if there is an issue with the glass then it extends beyond just 1 year and 1 make/model. With my Tucson I replaced OEM glass with aftermarket and got a small crack that had to be repaired within a month. That wasn't Hyundai glass. It can happen anytime to any make/model.

There is a lawsuit so lets see what happens. If someone is complaining and mfr is not stepping up then class action is like the final step that can force some remediation and it's happening. I'm sure the lawyers know what to do. They want to get paid.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Matters because the quote was ‘just about every manufacturer”. I remembered only 2 for 2020. 2 grew to 4 when the date range went back to 2016/17. 4 is not ’just about every’ and normalizing a defect is the first step of settling. Please don’t settle. Unless you want to, then absolutely do that.

There are class action suits against just about every manufacturer for the same thing

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Matters because the quote was ‘just about every manufacturer”. I remembered only 2 for 2020. 2 grew to 4 when the date range went back to 2016/17. 4 is not ’just about every’ and normalizing a defect is the first step of settling. Please don’t settle. Unless you want to, then absolutely do that.
It's pointless going back and forth over this. However it just takes a Google search to find windshield complaints just like the one here. Jeep has their own club for broken windshields. I just posted 4 for which I could find an actual law suit.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Not every manufacturer has a defect rate that rises to the level of class action status. Hyundai and Subaru do and probably use the same supplier.

Honda CRV and Toyota Prius did and corrected the issue. The hope would be for Telluride and Palisade owners that Hyundai Motors would do the same. If I were you I’d join today versus paying to have your windshield coated.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Not every manufacturer has a defect rate that rises to the level of class action status. Hyundai and Subaru do and probably use the same supplier.

Honda CRV and Toyota Prius did and corrected the issue. The hope would be for Telluride and Palisade owners that Hyundai Motors would do the same. If I were you I’d join today versus paying to have your windshield coated.
Join what? A class action would cover all affected vehicles and owners. There's nothing for other owners to do but wait for the outcome.

I've had good experience with Hyundai class action lawsuits 😉 Most recently the DCT class action. I didn't have to do anything as far as joining but was automatically included in the settlement. Already got payment for inconvenience and now waiting on the trade in claim. So I'm going to wait and see what the result is with this one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Does anyone know about the class action lawsuit on the 2020 Telluride and 2020 Palisade for the windshields and how easy they crack? I’ve had my palisade for about 5 months and a couple of rocks hit my windshield and now there’s two 7 inch cracks and another half inch crack in my windshield. I’ve read that it can be pretty pricey to get replaced. Is Hyundai aware of this? And are they going to replace the windshields?
Wow, I had a chip filled 2 months after purchase. Didn’t seem to be a big stone either. Guess there is some vulnerabilit.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes it would appear so. Lawyers usually don’t chase Class Action status unless they think they can prove it. Owners filling chips and replacing cracked windshields are pretty easy to prove by soliciting repair data to get qualitative evidence. If a judge doesn’t allow it, then there wasn’t enough proof, if they do....well you have your answer. Class Action lawsuits are the opposite of frivolous and the best defense consumers have against faulty products.

Plaintiffs seeking to certify a class under Federal Rule 23 must plead and prove: (1) an adequate class definition, (2) ascertainability, (3) numerosity, (4) commonality, (5) typicality, (6) adequacy and (7) at least one of the requirements in Rule 23(b), namely: (a) separate adjudications will create a risk

·
Registered
600 Posts
I’ll bet $100 donation to the American Heart Association that this will reach class action status. Hoping someone takes me up on my bet.......good cause.

·
Registered
284 Posts
for as many Palisades that have been sold, it won't be hard for a lawyer to file for, and get awarded, a "class action."

I'm sure there will be enough chip repairs and windshield replacements to get class action status. Frankly, in 90% of the class actions, the only true winners are the lawyers. lol

let's see where this one goes. first step is to get class action status, and for that I'm pretty confident it gets awarded so I won't be taking the bet.

Getting a class action for the windshield issue still doesn't convince me that the Palisade is any more prone to breaking windshields than other cars that may not have won class action status for the same issue. Like I've said in another post, I had to replace a Higlander windshield twice and an Odyssey windshield twice, but neither of those ever went to class action. Maybe not enough of the right owners pushed for it, or we just didn't get the right class action chasing lawyer or law firm to chase owners down. But hey, some of my best friends are lawyers. ;)

hhahaha

·
Registered
15 Posts
I drove to work this morning, came out to my Palisade after less than 5 hours, which is parked in a small lot, and noticed there was a crack in the windshield starting from under the base of the window trim, going up about 8-10 in. then toward the passenger side another 8-10 inches. I immediately called my dealer and asked if this was covered under warranty and they asked me to bring the vehicle in for inspection. I drove straight to the dealer.

I purchased my Palisade 4 1/2 months ago and it has 1700 miles.

Service guy #1 tells service guy #2 to look at the windshield to determine if there are any chips, nicks, etc. #2 looks the windshield over, walks over to #1 and tells him softly that there wasn't anything indicating a strike on the windshield. I was then asked to wait in the waiting room, which I did. About 10-15 minutes later, #1 calls me back to my vehicle and says that the window is chipped. #1 says he has never seen this happen before, but the chip point is located under the rubber part of the wiper blade. #1 lifts up the blade and points to the spot. Now, there are hand and fingerprint marks all over the crack and the chip, which I did not put there. I respond that this is very unlikely as the hood of the vehicle is raised up higher than the wiper blade and would have prevented anything from getting up under the wiper blade. I told him the item would have had to have been lobbed up in the air high enough to clear the hood, then fallen down past the hood and below the blade, then shot up under the blade to make the alleged impact point. #1 stated that he guesses that is what happened.

#1 told me he would have a service guy drive the vehicle around outside for me. I told him I could do it myself. #1 then stated he would have someone remove all of the fingerprints that were on the glass. I told him I did not want him to. He then asked that after I pull the vehicle outside if they can just wipe the prints off, which I again told him, "No."

So what happened between the time when there were no chips to the time there were? I am guessing for 10-15 minutes someone in the service department manipulated the glass to the point where it caused the chipping along the crack line. This would explain why they asked me to leave my vehicle out of view, to include the time it took them to cause the damage, where they then left their fingerprints on the window. I'm sure on a window crack, I could push up and down on one side of the crack enough times where it would cause chipping too.

#1 gave me an incorrect telephone number to Hyundai Consumer Affairs and told me I could call them to see what they could do for me. Well, after I figured out the correct number, I explained my situation. In the end, the person stated that there is warranty coverage for the windshield, but it does not cover if the windshield was chipped. Go figure! The person stated they would document the incident, let the dealership know, and then the dealership would decide IF they would do any repairs.

What a waste of time!

I did take pictures of the crack in the parking lot at work before driving it. It took additional pictures after I left the dealership, to include all of the prints and the newly discovered chips. I did not think about looking under the wiper blade when I took the first images, so I really do not have a comparison image before and after they touched all over it, which just sucks.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh man, that’s infuriating! Sorry your dealer put you through this. With all the complaints and the class action, you’d think Hyundai would start replacing under good will, but I guess that would be like admitting fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At just less than 3000 miles we ended up with a huge crack about 1/2 through the windshield. We brought it up to the dealership when we took it in for our 1st oil change. They basically told us there's nothing we can do. Now today after we've ordered a new windsheild (not sure when it's going to be here yet) I noticed another small crack in a completely different spot, this one is a star shape. Neither my husband or I remember anything hitting the windsheild for either cracks. I'm worried to put in a brand new one (900 bucks) in and have the same problem.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts