Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my issue with the Palisade in winter weather. If you leave the wipers up on the window while parked in snowy conditions you have to ensure that when you clear the snow off the windshield that there is no accumulation of snow left at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers go down to when you start the vehicle.
If there is and the wipers can not go fully down they will then go as far down as they can and then stop working altogether. I found the only solution is to open the hood and clear the remaining snow trapped between the wipers and the trim piece below the windshield.
I have had many vehicles throughout my lifetime and have had wipers frozen to the windshield but none that are so sensitive to a little snow buildup.
My concern is could this happen while driving in a snowstorm that the wipers could not do a full sweep and would just stop altogether
Has anyone had similar issues with the Palisade?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can say the design of these wipers is clearly incompatible with snowy conditions. Here in Maine, we only have been having moderate snowfall this year, but I have spent many, many minutes out there attempting to clear the wiper system of snow and ice. It is almost as if they skipped any actual cold weather testing whilst designing this vehicle. So, yeah, I concur!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discovered the same issue here in WI a couple weeks ago. Anyone knows if the same issue happens if one leaves the wipers down during snowfall?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Discovered the same issue here in WI a couple weeks ago. Anyone knows if the same issue happens if one leaves the wipers down during snowfall?
I live in Ajax Ontario, just outside Toronto.
The first time it happened to me the wipers were down and stuck. I cleared the snow and still no go. Went to the dealership and they used a hose to clear snow below the wipers that wouldn't let the wipers go all the way down. I didn't realized they were that sensitive to a bit of snow. I have had numerous cars and minivans throughout my lifetime and none have been this bad. To date this is the only issue I have had with the Palisade. Me and my wife absolutely love it.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Did the designer of the mechanics of the wipers ever used it or tried to use it in real life situations? Damn, another swing and a miss.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Happened to me with both snowfalls so far this winter.
Dealership claims it functions as intended.

I'm going to make a video the next time it snows as it actually seems pretty dangerous.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I normally lift wipers off the windshield glass to prevent frozen wipers but we cant do that because part of the wipers hide under the hood!!!

Don't it snow in Korea? they should know better.

Also to prevent wiper damage I leave the wipers to OFF instead of AUTO because if in AUTO when I start in the morning and if there is snow and the wipers are frozen stuck, it will try to sweep even if the wipers are frozen, I think it might damage the motor?

·
Registered
20 Posts
There’s a way to leave the wipers up vs inside the channel on the palisade. It’s in the manual and I’ve tried it so know it works. Can’t recall exactly but It has something to do with pushing the wiper lever up after turning car off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
According to all those episodes of M*A*S*H that I watched, it snows like crazy in Korea. How could they have screwed this up. I smell a TSB in their future.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From the Manual:

Front windshield wiper service
positions

This vehicle has a "hidden" wiper
design which means that the wipers
cannot be lifted when they are in
their bottom resting position.
1. Within 20 seconds of turning off
the engine, lift and hold the wiper
lever up to the MIST position for
about 2 seconds until the wipers
move to the top wipe position.
2. At this time you can lift the wipers
off the windshield.
3. Gently put the wipers back down
onto the windshield.
4. Turn the wipers to any ON position
to return the wipe

·
Registered
2020 Rainforest SEL
33 Posts
There’s a way to leave the wipers up vs inside the channel on the palisade. It’s in the manual and I’ve tried it so know it works. Can’t recall exactly but It has something to do with pushing the wiper lever up after turning car off.
Some VWs have this same feature. The wipers are slightly below the hood line and cannot be flipped up when off.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just visited the Telluride owners forum and they are having the same issue with snow causing the wipers to stop working. Here is a link to that thread which you may be able to see even if you are not a registered user. Windshield Wiper performance issue in Heavy Snow
Everyone that has had this problem should report it to Hyundai and maybe if enough complaints it will end up as a recall as it is a safety issue. I have not experienced the problem myself but thankfully not much snow yet this season where I live.

·
Registered
2020 Rainforest SEL
33 Posts
From the Manual:

Front windshield wiper service
positions

This vehicle has a "hidden" wiper
design which means that the wipers
cannot be lifted when they are in
their bottom resting position.
1. Within 20 seconds of turning off
the engine, lift and hold the wiper
lever up to the MIST position for
about 2 seconds until the wipers
move to the top wipe position.
2. At this time you can lift the wipers
off the windshield.
3. Gently put the wipers back down
onto the windshield.
4. Turn the wipers to any ON position
to return the wipe
This is very helpful. TY.

But this raises another question, what do the wipers do if you start the engine before lowering them back to the windshield? Will they automatically return potentially damaging the hood or arms?

either way this is a poor design. I would think that if the arm hinge was further out on the arm it would clear the hood allowing them to be lifted while in the resting position.

·
Registered
96 Posts
But this raises another question, what do the wipers do if you start the engine before lowering them back to the windshield? Will they automatically return potentially damaging the hood or arms?
No. They don't move on restart. You have to touch the lever to take them back down to the resting position. But if you did touch the lever before returning the blades to the glass, it is conceivable that some hood damage could occur.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my issue with the Palisade in winter weather. If you leave the wipers up on the window while parked in snowy conditions you have to ensure that when you clear the snow off the windshield that there is no accumulation of snow left at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers go down to when you start the vehicle.
If there is and the wipers can not go fully down they will then go as far down as they can and then stop working altogether. I found the only solution is to open the hood and clear the remaining snow trapped between the wipers and the trim piece below the windshield.
I have had many vehicles throughout my lifetime and have had wipers frozen to the windshield but none that are so sensitive to a little snow buildup.
My concern is could this happen while driving in a snowstorm that the wipers could not do a full sweep and would just stop altogether
Has anyone had similar issues with the Palisade?
Yes! I just posted about this issue. Please write to Hyundai customer care. And voice this. Something needs to be fixed on this issue.

·
Registered
2020 Rainforest SEL
33 Posts
Yes! I just posted about this issue. Please write to Hyundai customer care. And voice this. Something needs to be fixed on this issue.
To make it easy for others to also write Hyundai.....

I 'leveraged' some of what has been stated on this thread and sent the following to this address. Contact Us | MyHyundai

Selected 'New Message'
Entered my contact information & vehicle information & VIN. Then posted the message below.

I strongly feel there is a potential safety issue with the wiper arms on the Palisade. Aside from the serious inconvenience associated with how the wipers hide under the edge of the hood. The issue is when snow accumulates on the windshield and below the wiper arms under the edge of the hood. If you leave the wipers up on the window while parked in snowy conditions you have to ensure that when you clear the snow off the windshield that there is no accumulation of snow left at the bottom of the windshield where the wipers go down to when you start the vehicle.
If there is and the wipers can not go fully down they will then go as far down as they can and then stop working altogether. I found the only solution is to open the hood and clear the remaining snow trapped between the wipers and the trim piece below the windshield. I have had many vehicles throughout my lifetime and have had wipers frozen to the windshield but none that are so sensitive to a little snow buildup.
My concern is could this happen while driving in a snowstorm that the wipers could not do a full sweep and would just stop altogether.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We are considering buying a 2021 Palisade and this wiper issue is our biggest concern. Did anyone hear back from Hyundai? For those who experienced the issue, would you still consider buying a Palisade if you had a choice? Thanks for your inputs.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts