Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Have you had troubles with Windshield of a 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy ,due to is too fragile?

• Yes

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • No

Votes: 12 70.6%
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
185 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Our insurance doesn't cover glass in this province unless you get a rider specifically for it. Bah!
We had to add something on ours to have zero deductible glass replacement but it was minimal in cost.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited AWD Burgundy/Beige
222 Posts
Unfortunately my insurance Geico doesn't do glass coverage and I'm in a state that doesn't do the reduced deductible or whatever like other states.
I have Geico and it appears to be mandatory. Here is the blurb from my Geico policy….$24 for the blurb below. Looks like they employ some trickery making it seem mandatory in VA and NC. At the bottom you find out the “please note” doesn’t apply to VA and NC.
Other Than Collision Coverage

Please note:
GEICO requires that leased or financed vehicles carry Other Than Collision coverage.

What is Other Than Collision Coverage?

Other Than Collision coverage pays the cost of damage (minus any applicable deductible) that occurs as a result of a non-collision incident including: fire, flood, theft, falling objects, vandalism, collision with an animal, hail, malicious mischief, windstorms, civil commotion, explosion, earthquake, water damage, lightning, larceny, and damage caused by flying objects (missiles). Other Than Collision coverage also covers windshields and the other glass in your vehicles.

Why do I need this?

Most finance and lease companies require that you have this coverage as part of your agreement with them.

Other Than Collision coverage is not mandated by any State Insurance laws. However, consider what would happen if your car was stolen. What if you get hit by a deer? What if your car floats away in a flood? Without Other Than Collision coverage you are on your own.

Other Than Collision coverage pays for such common non-collision losses to your auto as a broken windshield, a stolen car stereo, or a stolen vehicle. It also pays for damage to your auto caused by natural disasters such as fire and flood.

How much Coverage do I need?

Other Than Collision coverage allows you to collect for damages up to the actual cash value of your car. To keep your premiums low, select a deductible for the highest amount you feel comfortable paying out of pocket.

With Other Than Collision coverage, you choose a deductible - the amount that you will pay out of your own pocket-before your insurance pays your claim.

For example: your car's stereo is stolen and replacement costs are $500. If you have a $100 deductible, Other Than Collision coverage will cover $400 - the replacement cost minus your $100 deductible.

If you have an older car, where the cash value is low, you may decide not to purchase this coverage.

Note - Other Than Collision coverage will not cover loss for custom options on an owned automobile, such as equipment, furnishings, or special detailing, including custom paint, if the existence of those options has not been previously reported to us. This reminder does NOT apply in Virginia and North Carolina.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have had tiny (and some not so tiny) rocks the windshield without issue of my Palisade.

Had a rock hit a windshield of a car I owned before, a month into ownership. Cracked the windshield. Called my insurance and had a replaced.
Things happen, that's why we have insurance.
Have to agree. Way way too many variables with windshields. You’d need to get data from the insurance companies and data from PPG or the windshield companies to piece this altogether. Then with all the variables, angle of windshield, height from road, geography, smart cruise usage etc. do some heavy analysis with mini-tab to see if there is a step change from other similar windshields. Good luck with that!

Things I have learned over the years:

Low profile tires get more flats than regular tires.

The angle of attack and height of the windshield from the road plays a big role in windshields chipping and cracking.

The FJ Cruiser had a windshield that was nearly perpendicular to the road. That thing chipped and cracked nearly as soon as the bead of caulk cured! Don’t think it had to do with the windshield! It was the angle and short nose of the SUV.

Luck plays a big part in this too.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
463 Posts
I have Geico and it appears to be mandatory. Here is the blurb from my Geico policy….$24 for the blurb below. Looks like they employ some trickery making it seem mandatory in VA and NC. At the bottom you find out the “please note” doesn’t apply to VA and NC.
Yeah I'm pretty sure OTC is exactly the same as Comprehensive coverage, just different terminology. But I'll call again. I talked to them before and there is no separate glass coverage in the state of MO and glass breakage is covered by comprehensive coverage and your associated deductible which I carry $500. I know some states are no deductible states for glass breakage but unfortunately MO is not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 5 days of the purchase of the 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy (brand new) while I was driving on the road on 05/05/2021, suddenly a very tiny rock (insignificant) fell over the windshield, and later a small chip in the windshield glass observed which eventually is expanded into a larger crack or something like a “spiderweb” of a crack spreading across the entire windshield. So, now I do need to pay for it (out-pocket expenses for the Windshield REPLACEMENT because the WARRANTY does not cover it).
Mine got cracked 10 days after buying it. Insurance covered it, if you have full coverage your comprehensive should pay for it. The windshield was $1100.00 and an additional $200 for the re calibration of the lane departure camera in the windshield.:sneaky:

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
463 Posts
Mine got cracked 10 days after buying it. Insurance covered it, if you have full coverage your comprehensive should pay for it. The windshield was $1100.00 and an additional $500 for the re calibration of the lane departure camera in the windshield.:sneaky:
Wow, that's crazy expensive. Safelite here was only $1000 which included calibration. But yes obviously Insurance will pay for it, minus the deductible. Not every state nor insurance offers zero deductible for glass and mine is $500. So I was able to buy aftermarket for $580 (didn't claim it) and didn't need calibration (I still believe that is a scam if it's simple replacement w/ no accident). Even the company told me that.

Regarding claiming it and insurance rates going up, that's TBD. I just changed my insurance and sure enough every glass claim I've made in the last 6+ years is on there. It says "Comp Claim less than $1000". Now if that actually affected my rates, I truly don't know but research says, it definitely can.

·
Registered
2021 Hyper White Palisade Calligraphy
17 Posts
Sorry but I don't buy that at all. There are countless reports on how fragile these windshields are. Several in 2020 just cracked on their own. I've driven a dozen cars, over a million miles easily, moved 12+ times for military, several across county, and I've never had this many chips, especially this easily and quickly. What most people have been reporting are chips that progress to a unrepairable crack rapidly. Sure I've had chips before, but all repairable by Safelite. The Pali just develops into a crack when I don't think it should.

Within 3000 miles, I got a chip but by the time we got it home, it cracked about 9 inches. I decided to try an aftermarket and it's been hit a couple times and I have small chips and several pitting already within 6000 miles but luckily no cracks yet.

Now, not going to lie. I definitely changed my driving habits and give myself 3 times the distance behind cars compared to before :LOL:

I've had a few hit- no cracks or chips. ON the interstate too... Guess I got a good one.

Also- when you look at most of the other new car forums- there's always one thread that is the same as this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Honda Pilot 2020 windshield was also very 'soft' and got multiple chips/cracks in the first year (less than 6k miles). It may be something with these modern windshields.

·
Registered
3 Posts
After 5 days of the purchase of the 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy (brand new) while I was driving on the road on 05/05/2021, suddenly a very tiny rock (insignificant) fell over the windshield, and later a small chip in the windshield glass observed which eventually is expanded into a larger crack or something like a “spiderweb” of a crack spreading across the entire windshield. So, now I do need to pay for it (out-pocket expenses for the Windshield REPLACEMENT because the WARRANTY does not cover it).
Three of my family members all drive Palisades and all three have windshield problems (small pings morphing into large cracks). I lodged an official complaint with Hyundai (not that it did any good)

·
Registered
123 Posts
I caught a very small rock from a car ahead of me, not a truck. I heard it and sure enough the next day the beginnings of a small, very small crack was there. I called my insurance GEICO who directed me to a local Safelite agent who came out to fix it in my driveway. He said since it was way smaller than a dime, it should be fine. A few minutes later he came back to the house to say that as soon as he put his machine on the window, the small rock chip grew to a 3 inch crack. He said he is seeing this a lot now with Palisades and Tellurides. He said the windshields are too thin. Now I have to have the entire windshield replaced. I call the NHTSA yesterday in DC and they said that since it is not "safety related", but manufacturing defect, she could only record my complaint but nothing will be done. I think Hyundai needs to do something about this. It should not be happening to a brand new car. I called my dealership and the Service Manager said he had not "heard" any other complaints, but to keep my receipts for the costs to me, so if Hyundai does issue a TSB, Technical Service Bulletin, I can recover my costs. I keep reading about other Pali owners of having the same issues.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My Safelite tech told me the other day years ago, unless you were driving "out West" on gravel roads, you hardly ever heard of a chipped windshield. Now it is a common occurrence. He blames the thinner windshields for it, and he has been working in "glass" for 30 years. That speaks volumes!!

I've had a few hit- no cracks or chips. ON the interstate too... Guess I got a good one.

Also- when you look at most of the other new car forums- there's always one thread that is the same as this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nope, No Chipped Windshield after 8 months on my 2021. I was waiting, since I added Glass coverage to my plan after reading all the the previous horror stories like the ones above, but starting to think that I should drop the extra glass coverage? To be fair, my Palisade sees limited Highway miles, it sems that is where stones and rocks are a flying due to construction companies, landscapers,excavators, and such companies with rocks on the load are not securing dirt and rocks from their loads.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will update my post if I ever get a chip , then you can include that into your count. Somebody was keeping count on one of the other Palisade forums in order to start a class action suite or similar on windshield cases where they should not have developed such cracking.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda Pilot 2020 windshield was also very 'soft' and got multiple chips/cracks in the first year (less than 6k miles). It may be something with these modern windshields.
Safelite told me that all new car windows are too thin. He asked me if i ever heard of glass chips on our old family car? Nope, because they were thicker. He is right, never had rock chips in our big old cars.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don’t forget, years ago speed limit was max 55 in most states, minus Montana where it was drive as prudently as conditions allow or something along those lines.

Years ago, SUVs and CUVs were really not a thing. More perpendicular on average?

Also, the stronger glass gets, the more brittle and shatter potential. I am pretty sure the big ole thick windshield of the family cars was not part of the safety envelope for rollovers.

Maybe they made them thin on purpose for baked in obsolescence.

However there is more than one glass company…just make a chip proof windshield. I can’t believe Corning is not fearful of PPG or vice versa. I will be blissfully ignorant and assume we are at a technological trade off points of safety, cost and durability.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts