Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Have you had troubles with Windshield of a 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy ,due to is too fragile?

• Yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • No

Votes: 13 72.2%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 days of the purchase of the 2021 Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy (brand new) while I was driving on the road on 05/05/2021, suddenly a very tiny rock (insignificant) fell over the windshield, and later a small chip in the windshield glass observed which eventually is expanded into a larger crack or something like a “spiderweb” of a crack spreading across the entire windshield. So, now I do need to pay for it (out-pocket expenses for the Windshield REPLACEMENT because the WARRANTY does not cover it).

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Caligraphy Palisade AWD - White ext / Brown int
98 Posts
I have had tiny (and some not so tiny) rocks the windshield without issue of my Palisade.

Had a rock hit a windshield of a car I owned before, a month into ownership. Cracked the windshield. Called my insurance and had a replaced.
Things happen, that's why we have insurance.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
571 Posts
I have had tiny (and some not so tiny) rocks the windshield without issue of my Palisade.

Had a rock hit a windshield of a car I owned before, a month into ownership. Cracked the windshield. Called my insurance and had a replaced.
Things happen, that's why we have insurance.
Sorry but I don't buy that at all. There are countless reports on how fragile these windshields are. Several in 2020 just cracked on their own. I've driven a dozen cars, over a million miles easily, moved 12+ times for military, several across county, and I've never had this many chips, especially this easily and quickly. What most people have been reporting are chips that progress to a unrepairable crack rapidly. Sure I've had chips before, but all repairable by Safelite. The Pali just develops into a crack when I don't think it should.

Within 3000 miles, I got a chip but by the time we got it home, it cracked about 9 inches. I decided to try an aftermarket and it's been hit a couple times and I have small chips and several pitting already within 6000 miles but luckily no cracks yet.

Now, not going to lie. I definitely changed my driving habits and give myself 3 times the distance behind cars compared to before :LOL:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm always impressed at how many people get a good enough look at the rock, while flying at them at highway speeds, to determine size, shape, and angle of impact.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
571 Posts
I'm always impressed at how many people get a good enough look at the rock, while flying at them at highway speeds, to determine size, shape, and angle of impact.
How about 30 mph, does that count? And yes you can tell how hard something impacts the windshield, maybe not actual size or velocity. I'm not going to argue physics but regardless all you have to do is look at the number of complaints. Both on here, FB, online reviews and now a class action lawsuit. Oh and visit the Telluride forums, same complaints.

It's ok to admit that maybe there is a problem with how fragile these windshields are. They should at least hold up better to chips allowing the owner to get them properly filled before cracking across the entire windshield. Like I said, I've had chips before, some at 70+mph and it still only left a chip that I later got filled. The cracking within 30 min is BS. Multiple owners are on their 3rd windshield. It shouldn't be that common.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Oh and visit the Telluride forums, same complaints.
and all the subaru forums and the honda forums and the bmw forums and the mb forums, etc. They also have complaints on their fb groups and online reviews, as well as class action lawsuits.

So the question is, if this is not isolated to just the palisade, as seems to be the case, what's actually going on?

Are windshields across the market more likely to be damaged because of a push towards construction methods to further dampen sound? Are different materials being used to cut costs? Are different annealing techniques being used that are more likely to crack? Are modern safety standards pushing a change in windshield design that makes them safer in an accident, but more likely to crack (see similar discussion on damage of crumple zones in minor collisions and the increased costs of repair)? Are different types of road debris becoming more common? Is there even an increase in damage or is there just an increase in reporting due to more people participating in online forums? Are people more vocal due to the increase in cost of windshield replacement due to the calibration costs required with modern safety systems? Are people more comfortable with modern safety systems that they feel comfortable tailgating and are more likely to get hit by flying road debris? Are improved aerodynamics in the name of efficiency causing leading vehicles to kick up more road debris?

·
Super Moderator
1,775 Posts
It could also be due to the poor state of our highways, which have been neglected for years while we rebuild other countries road and infrastructure
we destroyed in wars and hunting down some bad people.
They can blame part of it on covad19 , But our Highways and even city streets have never been this bad.
Brand after brand are having the same problem not just Palisade. Then to I think an SUV, crossover or truck are more susceptible to wind shield damage
than cars are

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find windshields as a whole, on most vehicles these days, are more fragile than ever. I sincerely don't recall older vehicles being as susceptible to cracks. Rock chips used to stay rock chips a lot longer before developing into "must replace" cracks, if they ever went that far. It's frustrating and it's friggin' expensive. 😐

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
571 Posts
and all the subaru forums and the honda forums and the bmw forums and the mb forums, etc. They also have complaints on their fb groups and online reviews, as well as class action lawsuits.

So the question is, if this is not isolated to just the palisade, as seems to be the case, what's actually going on?

Are windshields across the market more likely to be damaged because of a push towards construction methods to further dampen sound? Are different materials being used to cut costs? Are different annealing techniques being used that are more likely to crack? Are modern safety standards pushing a change in windshield design that makes them safer in an accident, but more likely to crack (see similar discussion on damage of crumple zones in minor collisions and the increased costs of repair)? Are different types of road debris becoming more common? Is there even an increase in damage or is there just an increase in reporting due to more people participating in online forums? Are people more vocal due to the increase in cost of windshield replacement due to the calibration costs required with modern safety systems? Are people more comfortable with modern safety systems that they feel comfortable tailgating and are more likely to get hit by flying road debris? Are improved aerodynamics in the name of efficiency causing leading vehicles to kick up more road debris?
IDK. I have a Honda, 80K miles, same roads, zero chips. I had a Nissan PF before the Pali, 6 years, 130K miles, 1 chip that I remember and didn't develop into a crack.

My biggest beef is the tiniest rock chip that later become a crack before you have time to file a claim. Regardless of road debris, these tiny chips shouldn't progress that quickly.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy
13 Posts
When I bought mine and called to put insurance on it I asked about windshield coverage. They said normal deductible or for ~$30 a year extra I could get 0 deductible. I paid extra after reading about all the cracks people were getting. Sorry to hear yours cracking. I admit, every time a rock hits mine I wait for a crack.

·
Registered
2021 Caligraphy Palisade AWD - White ext / Brown int
98 Posts
Sorry but I don't buy that at all. There are countless reports on how fragile these windshields are. Several in 2020 just cracked on their own. I've driven a dozen cars, over a million miles easily, moved 12+ times for military, several across county, and I've never had this many chips, especially this easily and quickly. What most people have been reporting are chips that progress to a unrepairable crack rapidly. Sure I've had chips before, but all repairable by Safelite. The Pali just develops into a crack when I don't think it should.

Within 3000 miles, I got a chip but by the time we got it home, it cracked about 9 inches. I decided to try an aftermarket and it's been hit a couple times and I have small chips and several pitting already within 6000 miles but luckily no cracks yet.

Now, not going to lie. I definitely changed my driving habits and give myself 3 times the distance behind cars compared to before :LOL:
What don't you buy?!?

I stated my experience. I did not have the issue with repeated rocks hitting my windshield. This isn't somthing worth lying about.

I double down on my statement, I have had not issues with rocks.

Now back the f off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
So you haven't had issues with rock chips causing cracks, or you haven't had issues with rocks hitting your windshield? That's an entirely different scenario.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
571 Posts
What don't you buy?!?

I stated my experience. I did not have the issue with repeated rocks hitting my windshield. This isn't somthing worth lying about.

I double down on my statement, I have had not issues with rocks.

Now back the f off.
First of all, calm down, we can all be civil here.

Second, I swear, there was a different post I quoted. What I quoted, makes zero sense with my reply and I swear, there was different wording, maybe not by you, idk and don't recall but maybe I'm completely wrong, my bad. It surely doesn't make sense.

So my bad, and I have no clue why I quoted your post.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
185 Posts
When I bought mine and called to put insurance on it I asked about windshield coverage. They said normal deductible or for ~$30 a year extra I could get 0 deductible. I paid extra after reading about all the cracks people were getting. Sorry to hear yours cracking. I admit, every time a rock hits mine I wait for a crack.
Same, same, same.

I'd been lurking on Palisade forums and FB pages for a few months before we bought ours and we were aware of the wind noise, smelly seats, and windshields cracking. We did a really long test drive at highway speeds, sniffed our car relentlessly (we didn't get the Nappa but we did get regular leather and weren't positive it was only on Nappa at that time) and we added the no deductible glass replacement on our insurance. So far we've been fine but I do dread it happening to us.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
571 Posts
Same, same, same.

I'd been lurking on Palisade forums and FB pages for a few months before we bought ours and we were aware of the wind noise, smelly seats, and windshields cracking. We did a really long test drive at highway speeds, sniffed our car relentlessly (we didn't get the Nappa but we did get regular leather and weren't positive it was only on Nappa at that time) and we added the no deductible glass replacement on our insurance. So far we've been fine but I do dread it happening to us.
Unfortunately my insurance Geico doesn't do glass coverage and I'm in a state that doesn't do the reduced deductible or whatever like other states.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
185 Posts
Unfortunately my insurance Geico doesn't do glass coverage and I'm in a state that doesn't do the reduced deductible or whatever like other states.
That is a huge bummer. I didn't know that was a thing in other states. Especially with a car such as this one that does seem to have more problems with the windshield.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Our insurance doesn't cover glass in this province unless you get a rider specifically for it. Bah!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts