Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Rainforest SEL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately our windshield was broken by a stone or part of another car. The severity of the damage was unrepairable and the windscreen had to be replaced. Our insurer suggested Safelite Auto Glass. They did what appeared to be a very good installation and the glass looks excellent. They also recalibrated the camera(s) and everything worked as normal.

Several days later 3 stress fractures appeared in the drivers side lower edge and crawled up >14". We dropped it off today and the manager stated he had never seen fractures like this before. Not sure if this was an installation issue or defective glass but we will get it back today and report back in a week or so.

The good news is that the aftermarket glass is available if this happens to you.

·
Registered
2021 White Calligraphy
640 Posts
Unfortunately our windshield was broken by a stone or part of another car. The severity of the damage was unrepairable and the windscreen had to be replaced. Our insurer suggested Safelite Auto Glass. They did what appeared to be a very good installation and the glass looks excellent. They also recalibrated the camera(s) and everything worked as normal.

Several days later 3 stress fractures appeared in the drivers side lower edge and crawled up >14". We dropped it off today and the manager stated he had never seen fractures like this before. Not sure if this was an installation issue or defective glass but we will get it back today and report back in a week or so.

The good news is that the aftermarket glass is available if this happens to you.
I also have aftermarket, says Lamishield but I didn't use Safelite. I didn't want to claim it on my insurance and since I have a $500 deductible, I found a place that replaced it for only $580. Anyways after only 2000 miles, I already have another rock chip, small at least, and 4 very tiny ones, which appear to be more from sandblasting. Maybe due to all the road salt the last couple months. But we also don't follow too closely either. Bottom line, aftermarket ones don't seem too great either. Just a very thin and fragile windshield.

·
Registered
2020 Rainforest SEL
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, so we picked up the Pali and of course something isn't quite right. There is a ~12" scratch along the edge of the hood close to the windshield. It is a rainforest green and I can see the white primer. Certainly wasn't there the other day when I washed the car. I'm waiting for the manager to call me....and I won't wait long. :(

What would you do?

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade Limited
369 Posts
OK, so we picked up the Pali and of course something isn't quite right. There is a ~12" scratch along the edge of the hood close to the windshield. It is a rainforest green and I can see the white primer. Certainly wasn't there the other day when I washed the car. I'm waiting for the manager to call me....and I won't wait long. :(

What would you do?
I am sorry you are going through this. It sucks that we might have to photograph our vehicles before dropping off for service.

I do that when I pickup rental cars.🤫

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
322 Posts
There are plastic pieces that are on each side of the windshield. They run from the top to the bottom where the hood starts. It's plastic trim that just pops out. The bottom portion has the biggest clip. It's almost like a big square. If they don't put those on correctly they maybe pushing/forcing that piece directly against the glass.

You may want to check that part after.
Also make sure it's secure at the bottom near the hood and doesn't flap. That can happen if they break the attachment during removal

·
Registered
24 Posts

its called a stress crack and the manager was lying to you cause they have to do inventory on damaged parts. I used to work for them but not anymore. there a trash company

·
Registered
145 Posts

geez that is too bad. Hope this fix is more permanent.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
Was that OEM glass, or aftermarket? And didn't the camera require calibration afterwards? Thx.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Windshield replacement scheduled for Tuesday. I was quoted $2355.34. I called my insurance company and I just have to pay my deductible.

There must have been 10 people waiting to have their Windshields serviced.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
322 Posts
Windshield replacement scheduled for Tuesday. I was quoted $2355.34. I called my insurance company and I just have to pay my deductible.

That is really expensive. Sure you only pay the deductible but still. Keep in mind all claims stay on your record and are accessible by all other insurance providers...

My replacement through Safelite was around $900 for aftermarket and that included recalibration.

·
Registered
369 Posts
My insurance company is All-State and they have an exclusive glass replacement program with Safelite. Fully guaranteed if I used a shop that was All-State approved. It did not have to be Safelite. I was more interested in someone that would be my advocate should any problems arise.

Yes, expensive quote and perhaps if I had shopped around more, I could have gotten a similar guarantee.

·
Registered
145 Posts

I think this is an ongoing issue for Hyundai/Kia's. They need to do something about it. I doubt they want to do a massive recall, but it is not fair to customers. I was warned about "aftermarket" windows, they evidently leak and make noise because they are not the window needed. You get what you pay for. It has to have that name on it, something like "St. Gobain" or something like that to be assured it is OEM.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
322 Posts
I think this is an ongoing issue for Hyundai/Kia's. They need to do something about it. I doubt they want to do a massive recall, but it is not fair to customers. I was warned about "aftermarket" windows, they evidently leak and make noise because they are not the window needed. You get what you pay for. It has to have that name on it, something like "St. Gobain" or something like that to be assured it is OEM.
I would disagree with that. St Gobain is just one of many companies who make OEM windshields and they happened to get the contract from Hyundai to make the windshield for the Palisade and some other Hyundai models.

However some Hyundai's like Elantra and Sonata have OEM glass made by Fuyao and that's also the manufacturer of the aftermarket windshield I got for the Palisade. St Gobain probably makes aftermarket windshields as well that's same as OEM but without the car makers logo.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I would disagree with that. St Gobain is just one of many companies who make OEM windshields and they happened to get the contract from Hyundai to make the windshield for the Palisade and some other Hyundai models.

However some Hyundai's like Elantra and Sonata have OEM glass made by Fuyao and that's also the manufacturer of the aftermarket windshield I got for the Palisade. St Gobain probably makes aftermarket windshields as well that's same as OEM but without the car makers logo.
Sorry, I have friends who work for NHTSA and IIHS who say to stay away from non brand aftermarket windshields. If it is a real supplier that is fine, but some are out there with zero brand name on them. I don't care, mine is St. Gobain and works fine now.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I will say that that I saw a wide variety of brands there......not just a Palisade issue.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
322 Posts
Sorry, I have friends who work for NHTSA and IIHS who say to stay away from non brand aftermarket windshields. If it is a real supplier that is fine, but some are out there with zero brand name on them. I don't care, mine is St. Gobain and works fine now.
Ok great I would agree about the "non brand" piece but fact is that many aftermarket market windshield are not "non brand". They are manufactured by same companies that also make OEM.

Some newer Hyundai's like the 22 Tucson have the windshield made by Korea Autoglass Corporation (KAC). Have you heard of that brand?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Update:

Windshield replaced....hope it lasts. Prayers 🙏Top picture is the replacement.
Product Water Textile Grey Font
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Grey

1 - 19 of 19 Posts