Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put a windshield protection film on their vehicles? It claims to make the windshield 6 times less likely to break. It's applied to the outside of the glass.

I'm kind of interested but need to make sure that this doesn't interfere with the sensors for Auto wipers or any other driver assistance tech.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Might be good insurance. Any idea on the cost?

Someone on the X7 forums just lost a windshield due to road debris. $3,500 for windshield and camera recalibration. Well that’s sobering.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Might be good insurance. Any idea on the cost?

Someone on the X7 forums just lost a windshield due to road debris. $3,500 for windshield and camera recalibration. Well that’s sobering.
I would assume they only had to pay their deductible, but could be wrong.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited Lagoon Silver
9 Posts
Well i just filed a claim for my drivers side window, caught a rock on the highway and it cracked. Glass was $800 alone before install For a limited.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I dropped my deductible from $500 to $100 just for this reason. Not withstanding the Palisade or Telluride's increased susceptibility to cracking glass replacement is getting to be ridiculously expensive. I'll pay a few buck more to let someone else assume that risk.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dropped my deductible from $500 to $100 just for this reason. Not withstanding the Palisade or Telluride's increased susceptibility to cracking glass replacement is getting to be ridiculously expensive. I'll pay a few buck more to let someone else assume that risk.
I just found out that glass claims affect overall premiums and ability to get insurance.

In the last 3 years there are 4 glass comprehensive claims that show up on my LexisNexis CLUE record but 2 of those are 0 dollar payout / cancelled claims. Problem is if you call your insurance and start a claim but never use it they can't cancel it and make it go away. They say oh just leave it there it's ok....right

I was looking at Progressive last week since it was much cheaper than Geico. Then during checkout when it actually asked for my DL # and pulled the record the quoted premium went up a bit referencing these 4 glass claims (from 2018/2019). Then when I tried to sign up it completely rejected me and that is considering that I have never had any collision or at fault claim. Just 1 rock chip repair, 1 windshield replacement and 2 cancelled rockchip claims.

I am now disputing the 2 cancelled claims with LexisNexis to have those removed from my record.

So if this windshield protection film really works then it maybe worth it for anyone in order to avoid getting claims added to your record since apparently we get penalized for something basic like rock chip repairs

·
Registered
600 Posts
The insurance must be linking windshield claims to driving style, i.e. Following too close, etc. Our Palisade windshield cracked within the first 100 miles and our 3rd drive. Small rock (guess as I never saw it, only heard it) came from a truck in the slow lane as I was passing on the left. Didn’t make much of a noise and I’ve certainly had bigger hits in other vehicles.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The glass claims I've had are for 3 different cars / drivers over the period of nearly 3 years.

Every single claim goes to the CLUE database managed by LexisNexis and majority insurance providers use that. Each one may evaluate the results differently. Progressive is really tough. I'm actually glad they denied me since they would probably jack up the premiums, deny claims or have other issues later on...

I don't think it has anything to do with driving style. There's no way they can determine that. A rock chip can happen to anyone at any time even if you're the best and safest driver in the world.

Now that I know this I will just pay for rockchip repairs if I ever need it without insurance. There are places that do it for $50 or less. I can also get a kit and try myself.

I am going to get more details about the windshield protection film next week. Price + my main concern is whether or not it affects all the tech surrounding the windshield like Auto wipers, HUD, etc...

·
Registered
600 Posts
Agree that there is no correlation, but suspect Progressive and other insurers evaluate it differently. Actuaries asign risk based on data, risk = $. Frequency and severity of claims of any kind can be factored in. Seems that Progressive’s actuaries believe windshield claims are qualitative in some way.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Got an appointment to install ExoShield in 2 weeks. I want to avoid having to replace the windshield...even if it's free.

ExoShield comes with some insurance of its own in case you get a chip or crack. Not sure of the details yet

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$550 total. What I was told is the film/install is $350 and the protection/insurance is $200 but it's like a package.

Have to drop off car in AM on scheduled day and leave it there till next day.

I asked the manufacturer + all installers if it affects things like Auto wipers, HUD, or other safety features and the answer is no.

·
Registered
284 Posts
awesome. let us know how it looks. they claim it's invisible but I'm looking forward to hearing from an owner how optically clear this film is once applied.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Will let you know but from what I was told is that it can take 2-4 weeks after the install to fully cure. So it maybe more than a month before I can post a review.

I already have a tiny nick on the windshield ( size of pencil tip) so hopefully the film will not only prevent more of that but also the more serious cracks that results in whole windshield replacement.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would be more concerned with that little ding creating an air bubble that could spread and cause a failure of the film.
Will see but I imagine the manufacturers of the film accounted for that (I hope so) otherwise it would only be for brand new vehicles before they even leave the lot.

There are 2 manufacturers that I know of.
ExoShield and Madico

1 - 19 of 19 Posts