Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I know this has been in discussion before, but back in early 2020. I just got my Pali and wanted to see what everyone has been doing for tint. Here are some of my questions:

What % did you do?

Is the middle and rear tint a film or embedded in the glass? Will it have issues is I were to tint over the OEM tint?

Is there a brand and model of tint to go for? I’m trying to match the color of the OEM tint as close as possible.

Has anyone tried the precut stuff on eBay? If so, which brand or seller did you purchase from.

Thanks in advance. Some pics of the tint in the sunlight would be much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited AWD burgundy w/light tan interior
45 Posts
Hi everyone! I know this has been in discussion before, but back in early 2020. I just got my Pali and wanted to see what everyone has been doing for tint. Here are some of my questions:

What % did you do?

Is the middle and rear tint a film or embedded in the glass? Will it have issues is I were to tint over the OEM tint?

Is there a brand and model of tint to go for? I’m trying to match the color of the OEM tint as close as possible.

Has anyone tried the precut stuff on eBay? If so, which brand or seller did you purchase from.

Thanks in advance. Some pics of the tint in the sunlight would be much appreciated.
I am fine with the OEM tinting which is in the glass. I don’t feel that the UV rejection is very good. I did Autobahn Air Ceramic, which is essentially clear, on all glass including the windshield and both sunroofs. I recently traded for a 2021 and I plan to do the same thing to that one (and keep it longer than seven months).

Do you ever see cars on the road that have the window tint with big bubbles? I’m fairly confident that those are DIY’s using precut material from eBay and Amazon. It took three experienced people more than two hours to do my vehicle with lots of different tools and heat guns involved. I’d look for a different way to save money.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey. We ended up getting ceramic tints all around minus the front windshield. 50% on the rear and 40% on the front two windows. First picture is what it looks like. 2nd is the rear and the 3rd is the front two windows. You can see the difference before in after on the edge of the glass.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some states have legal limitations on how dark your front windows can be. I would suggest a quick Google search for your state. I live in California and the maximum legal limit for front windows is 25% blockage, allowing 75% of the light to pass through. I hear people reversing/flipflopping these figures but I believe the number % is the amount of sunlight that is being blocked. If you go darker than the legal limit, you can get a fix-it ticket by the police, meaning you have to have the tinting removed.

·
Registered
76 Posts
As much as I try to DIY on my cars, window tinting is something I would not do. Save money on other stuff, but let the pros do the tinting. I live in Los Angeles area, and I tint all of my cars. The tint shop that I have been using for more than 15 years have 5 grades of darkness. For front windows, I always go with 2. For rear windows and glass, I go with 5. So far, I have tinted 8 cars that I have owned, and never had a problem with getting ticket, but it protects from summer heat.

·
Registered
652 Posts
For IR/UV rejection, I went with 50% Llumar IRX on the front windows, and Llumar AIR80 on the back windows since I felt like the back windows were dark enough from the factory.

I definitely noticed less heat once the tint was installed. Very happy with the IRX 50% tint level too. It's barely noticeable and it doesn't impede vision at night.

I had a car with 35% tint on all the windows, and driving at night was definitely less safe with everything being that much darker. When I see cars with 5% limo tint I just shake my head. Not something you could ever pay me to do to my cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am fine with the OEM tinting which is in the glass. I don’t feel that the UV rejection is very good. I did Autobahn Air Ceramic, which is essentially clear, on all glass including the windshield and both sunroofs. I recently traded for a 2021 and I plan to do the same thing to that one (and keep it longer than seven months).

Do you ever see cars on the road that have the window tint with big bubbles? I’m fairly confident that those are DIY’s using precut material from eBay and Amazon. It took three experienced people more than two hours to do my vehicle with lots of different tools and heat guns involved. I’d look for a different way to save money.
Hi. Thanks for your input. I didn't even think about tinting the moon and sun roof. It makes perfect sense! I've definitely seen the bubbles on some people's tints. I thought maybe they had a nephew do it for practice, and realized that removing tint is harder than applying. haha.

I would like to consider myself pretty handy when it comes to DIYs. I did a pretty good job with the clear bra on my Prius. Thought maybe tinting would be my next challenge. But I agree with you about second thinking of finding other ways of saving money.

Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey. We ended up getting ceramic tints all around minus the front windshield. 50% on the rear and 40% on the front two windows. First picture is what it looks like. 2nd is the rear and the 3rd is the front two windows. You can see the difference before in after on the edge of the glass.

View attachment 3964 View attachment 3965 View attachment 3966
Looks like a pretty clean job.

May I ask how much you paid for the all around ceramic tint? And what city, state you live in?

·
Registered
16 Posts

May I ask how much you paid for the all around ceramic tint? And what city, state you live in?
It was $340 out the door here in Chicago. Lifetime warranty. The goal was to get IR blockage. So we went with lighter tints all around as the rear was already factory tinted.

·
Premium Member
2021 Limited AWD burgundy w/light tan interior
45 Posts

Mine was $349 for the sides and rear, $129 for both sunroofs, and $79 for the windshield. This was done in Orlando.

·
Registered
652 Posts
My tint guy said the Air80 would be used for the windshield, but he warned that with polarized sunglasses I would see lines. It doesn’t get burning hot here so I passed on doing the windshield. I see the lines in the windows at certain angles with my polarized sunglasses so I’m glad I didn’t do the windshield.

here in the Bay Area I paired 450 for all the windows (no sunroofs or windshield).

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
11 Posts
I believe the number % is the amount of sunlight that is being blocked.
Nope. Limo tint is 5%, so it can't be. However, the 'correct' way is not accurate either IMO, since there's no way my 35% tint only allows 35% of light. I'd say it's at least 60. The lightest tint is 80%, and I'd say it's more like 95%, according to that definition. But yes, anything darker than 35% in front is plain dangerous at night, and that's why almost all states ban anything darker (numerically lower) than that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m getting tint on my 2021 next week. I plan on getting the strip on the windshield. Has anyone gotten it the windshield and has it effected the sensors?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi there,
I did my own 30% tint install on my 2021 Palisade Limited last month. I just did this on the two front Windows, but it turned out well. Bought this product on Amazon : PROTINT WINDOWS 30% Shade Color 24 Inches by 10 Feet Window Tint Film Roll, for Privacy and Heat Reduction , Just cost me $15.99 plus $3 shipping and covered both front windows.

Check out this site for the technique: How to Tint Car Windows. I had the spatula spreader tools and knife from a previous tint install. This still took 2-3 hours to get all the bubbles and the fingers smoothed out. Cutting the trim near where the tweeter sail meets the glass was tricky. This product is just a bit darker than the legal 35%, but hard to tell difference. Used the same technique to install the 3M clear Bra film where the hood meets the front grill. I had a lot of bubbles there too, since using soapy water to apply it all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts