Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for starting a new thread, I was going to post this in one of the existing threads about wind noise but when a search returned over 200 comments it was hard to know where to post it where most would see it, hence the new thread.

I took my Limited in for it's first service and told the service adviser it had the wind noise problem and gave him the TSB number. I'm not exactly sure what they did, but I just finished a 500 mile round trip and the wind noise is gone. My wife wasn't even aware that anything had been done and she remarked that the car was much quieter. So it appears there is hope the problem can be solved.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would be nice to know what they did as there are 4 different fixes in the TSB depending on the location of the noise source. Perhaps they stated what was done on the service sheets you must have been given.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sorry for starting a new thread, I was going to post this in one of the existing threads about wind noise but when a search returned over 200 comments it was hard to know where to post it where most would see it, hence the new thread.

I took my Limited in for it's first service and told the service adviser it had the wind noise problem and gave him the TSB number. I'm not exactly sure what they did, but I just finished a 500 mile round trip and the wind noise is gone. My wife wasn't even aware that anything had been done and she remarked that the car was much quieter. So it appears there is hope the problem can be solved.
Did they state what they did to fix the wind noise on your work order?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With four possible fixes, everyone's car will need to be evaluated and the proper fix (or fixes) applied. In my case they "put a pad under the left and right front door window trims". This specific change may or may not fix the problem in other cars, but it does show that the wind noise problem can be corrected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Both. The whistle was there when there was a crosswind, but the excessive wind noise was present all of the time.
Hm, how do we know what’s normal wind noise vs excessive? First car in a long time so curious. Just got a limited and there is definitely no whistle noise- but I do hear wind. It could be that it is windy in the northeast, so I’m curious if there’s a good way to tell what’s normal? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose you could use a noise meter on your phone, but that doesn't give any insight as to the amplitude of specific frequencies. Some frequencies are more irritating than others. I'm judging noise level compared to my previous car. I've exclusively driven Lexus LS vehicles since 1990, I've owned every generation except the latest and traded in an LS460 for my Limited. At speeds of 50mph or less on a smooth road I would rate my Limited very, very close to my old LS. Above 50 mph the LS is quieter, but the Limited is still pretty close. After the fix was installed there is still some wind noise, but I would say tire noise predominates. Speaking as an experienced Lexus owner, I am very pleased with the noise level of my Limited now that the wind issue is fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I suppose you could use a noise meter on your phone, but that doesn't give any insight as to the amplitude of specific frequencies. Some frequencies are more irritating than others. I'm judging noise level compared to my previous car. I've exclusively driven Lexus LS vehicles since 1990, I've owned every generation except the latest and traded in an LS460 for my Limited. At speeds of 50mph or less on a smooth road I would rate my Limited very, very close to my old LS. Above 50 mph the LS is quieter, but the Limited is still pretty close. After the fix was installed there is still some wind noise, but I would say tire noise predominates. Speaking as an experienced Lexus owner, I am very pleased with the noise level of my Limited now that the wind issue is fixed.
Did you notice a specific dB level? I wonder if I can use that as an objective measure

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hm, how do we know what’s normal wind noise vs excessive? First car in a long time so curious. Just got a limited and there is definitely no whistle noise- but I do hear wind. It could be that it is windy in the northeast, so I’m curious if there’s a good way to tell what’s normal? Thank you in advance!
If you had the wind noise problem, you would know it.
If you want a cheap experiment, try:
Wind noise in Palisade I have done this on my Limited (and it works) until the parts come in the the "real" fix...

·
Registered
69 Posts
With four possible fixes, everyone's car will need to be evaluated and the proper fix (or fixes) applied. In my case they "put a pad under the left and right front door window trims". This specific change may or may not fix the problem in other cars, but it does show that the wind noise problem can be corrected.
They performed this step for me and it did not work. They are now replacing the side mirror. Let's see if that helps. BTW, anybody else have their side mirror replaced? My dealer just received the mirror but had to send it out to be painted to match my vehicle color. I wonder if that has been the case for others...

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts

Hello, where did you find this TSB information? Thank you, Tom

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have the same whistling/wind noise especially in cross winds, it's loud and piercing, horrible. Took it back to dealer 2 days after taking delivery. After several trips where they were unable to duplicate and performed no service to alleviate. I then found the TSB. Returned to dealer and they STILL refused to perform any potential fixes until I opened complaint/case with Hyundai consumer affairs. Dealership now states they have identified that the mirror is causing the problem and will replace...as soon as it comes in off of back order ! I believe the problem is in the window weather stripping/gasket, not the mirror, but we'll see. I've made no less than 5 trips to their service department trying to resolve. This has gotten OLD!

·
Registered
11 Posts
On Monday I took my Palisade to the Hyundai Dealer where I purchased the car. I complained about the wind noise and gave them a copy of the TSB. The service manager told me they had no such complaints yet. So they check out the noise and told me it was within normal spec's..... This morning I went to another Hyundai Dealer and asked him to check the wind noise and gave him the TSB. After a road test they came back and said they had to order two "glass runs" and it would take 3-4 days to get the parts. Sure glad I learned about the TSB here and went for a second opinion. Just hope this will cure the wind noise............

·
Registered
139 Posts
I cant stand dealing with these useless dealership technicians. Some are just bullcrap.

Anyway, I managed to install (both driver and passenger side)the 3/8" foam that I got from Home depot for like $3 but unfortunately I've not gotten a chance to drive the car on the highway thereafter to test it out. Hoping it will fix the wind noise. Dont want to go back to the dealership and have to deal with idiots.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts