Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
ckon,
Thanks for the update. I'd be curious to see what your dealer finds, recommends, and then fixes. Would also like to know how the dealer fixes affects the problem PRIOR to you reinstalling the foam. Comments that I see in this conversation and others is that dealers are playing "whack a mole" with customers, having them to return repeatedly in some cases until they can duplicate the problem. That was my experience. If your dealer fixes the problem I may try again, otherwise I'll stuck with what I've got. I've had NO issues since installing the foam.
I totally agree. I’m going to remove our “fix” and tell the dealer I was able to improve the issue a lot but I want them to do it “right” then I’m going to replace the foam and see what the results are then. We’ll see.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I totally agree. I’m going to remove our “fix” and tell the dealer I was able to improve the issue a lot but I want them to do it “right” then I’m going to replace the foam and see what the results are then. We’ll see.
UPDATE: I just went out and removed the foam "fix" to prepare for going to the dealer tomorrow. There's a problem using this foam which is actually just a backing rod. It compresses and doesn't "bounce back". I don't think it's going to be a durable fix so I've ordered some small diameter surgical tubing in hopes that it will be more permanent. I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
UPDATE: I just went out and removed the foam "fix" to prepare for going to the dealer tomorrow. There's a problem using this foam which is actually just a backing rod. It compresses and doesn't "bounce back". I don't think it's going to be a durable fix so I've ordered some small diameter surgical tubing in hopes that it will be more permanent. I'll keep ya posted.
ANOTHER UPDATE; My bad. The surgical tubing didn’t work as well as the foam. 3/8” tubing is too big and .2” is too small. Foam is the best solution so far. I may try to add the small tubing to the foam and see how the two together work. Good thing this stuff’s easy to work with. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
ANOTHER UPDATE; My bad. The surgical tubing didn’t work as well as the foam. 3/8” tubing is too big and .2” is too small. Foam is the best solution so far. I may try to add the small tubing to the foam and see how the two together work. Good thing this stuff’s easy to work with. :)
Take a look at this on Amazon,Trim-Lok cord stock rubber seal-EPDM closed cell solid foam tubing .38 O.D. X 25' $13.25

·
Registered
71 Posts
3/8” surgical tubing proved too bulky. I wonder if this foam rod is more compressible? I guess it’s worth another 13 bucks to find out. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
thanks for trying out all the different possible solutions!

Between the driveline rumble and the wind noise, I'm beginning to wonder if I should pull my deposit on this car and wait it out a few more months....

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wouldn’t worry about it. It’s a great car and it’s actually unlikely that you’ll even have either of these issues. I love mine. The noise isn’t even bad enough that most would even notice. I’m just VERY anal and love to play around with such things.

·
Registered
12 Posts
someone posted that his has a 12/19 build date and it has both problems. The car I have a deposit on has been delayed now. It was supposed to arrive mid February and now it's pushed back to first week of March. Not sure if the supply issue (coronavirus) has anything to do with this particular delay

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had a chance to cross-compare both Palisade and Telluride on the same evening, same route, same weather, speed. Palisade was SEL, Telluride was LX. Telluride was substantially quieter, by a large margin more so at 65-70 mph. I made a deposit for Palisade earlier but after driving Telluride, I really question my decision. Unfortunately, Tellurides are now 6+ months wait for AWD white SX with Towing Package.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I wonder if the Palisade you had test driven just had bad window seals. You'd think all things being equal, these two SUVs would have very similar noise levels.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It was not a whistling noise that I am reading about on Palisade just omnipresent air movement noise. My initial take was that Palisade is "more premium" vs. Telluride and thus should have better sound isolation with acoustic glass on both sides and in windshield which Telluride supposedly does not have on the side windows. All in all, my bar for quiet is high, I am coming from 2018 Yukon that is a definition of quiet comfortable cabin.

I wonder if the Palisade you had test driven just had bad window seals. You'd think all things being equal, these two SUVs would have very similar noise levels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
One thing to keep in mind: When using ANY product to expand the window seals check the speed of the window closing after application. Slowing the window motor speed and causing the motor to strain is very likely to cause early motor failure. That’s why I abandoned the 3/8 tubing. It fit but expanded the seals and couldn’t be compressed easily enough to keep the window closing operation sufficiently free. The windows would still close and open but the motors were really working hard.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If you guys think that the wind noise is bad you should hear the noise of slush/snow on the underside of the car. This morning there was 2-3 inches of a wet, heavy, slush snow on the ground...and I was on the road before the plow trucks. I was able to put the snow mode to use. I did use the downhill assist, for the first hill, but figured it was overkill so for the other questionable hills on my commute so I just downshifted with the paddle shifters to keep the car speed in control....which given the location was super convenient because your hands could remain on the steering wheel. Anyhow, the sound of the snow splashing up and hitting the underside of the car sounded like I was driving the vehicle on the beach and the waves were breaking directly under the vehicle. I found it loud and annoying because it prevented me from hearing all the other sounds going on with the vehicle. Not only was the noise loud from the snow hitting the underside of the vehicle but it made it hard to differentiate between snow splash and tire traction/contact with the road.

·
Registered
71 Posts
FINAL UPDATE (I hope!) I installed the Trim-Lok rubber seal in my windows and I can’t imagine the car being any quieter. Road and wind noise intrusion is mucho improved. Good enough, FINALLY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ckon, so you're happy with the Trim-Lok suggested by Fisherman? Are you still going to take it to the dealer to have them fix the wind noise under the TSB?

Can you show us a picture of the final install?

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ckon, so you're happy with the Trim-Lok suggested by Fisherman? Are you still going to take it to the dealer to have them fix the wind noise under the TSB?

Can you show us a picture of the final install?

Thanks!
Yes, very happy. The dealer can’t improve on this so I’m done. There’s not really anything to take a pic of so I wouldn’t know what to show you. It looks just like it did before the install - it just sounds better. :) Also, bear in mind that I didn’t have any whistling or mirror noises so this fix may not have any effect on such Issues.

81 - 100 of 113 Posts