Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you ATLPal for both videos. That helps quite a bit. I really appreciate the work you have put into helping me (us),
Mickey, you're welcome, I hope it helps. The noise was driving me nuts, and it began happening the DAY AFTER I took delivery! These vehicles cost a pretty penny and I would have expected a better response from Hyundai service departments, nevertheless, it is what it is at this point. Take care.

·
Registered
12 Posts
looking at the second video, does the glass press up against the foam when it's in the closed position? I can see the gray foam with the window rolled down. If I do this mod I'll consider trying to paint/color (might not be easy to find a permanent solution to coloring it) the foam so it's black and not as noticeable when the window is rolled down.

·
Registered
22 Posts
looking at the second video, does the glass press up against the foam when it's in the closed position? I can see the gray foam with the window rolled down. If I do this mod I'll consider trying to paint/color (might not be easy to find a permanent solution to coloring it) the foam so it's black and not as noticeable when the window is rolled down.
Given the fairly short length, I plan to use a wide-chisel pro sharpie to paint it black. I don't think spray paint would work as well in this application, since the glass seems like it will contact the foam. I need to have a look at this myself to understand the contact point(s), but I'm stoked about the possibility of this fixing an annoyance my dealer won't even acknowledge exists.

·
Registered
37 Posts
raggedy1,

Yes, the glass does slightly contact the foam when closed, but that's a good thing. You can actually hear the difference, it's a more solid seal. Basically, what this shows is that both the inside seal/gasket AND the window channel have enough room to accommodate additional sound proofing material. I have installed exterior wind/rain deflectors that I'm sure hide the foam in the channel somewhat when the window is down, but without them I would either color the foam or use another product such as weather stripping that is dark in color, but of the same dimensions 3/8 in diameter, because I know for sure that that size diameter fits perfectly. Now that you mention it I may remove the foam from the channel and color it or replace with darker weather stripping. It's moreso that I have proven, at least to myself, that the CONCEPT works. Thanks for the coloring suggestion!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Given the fairly short length, I plan to use a wide-chisel pro sharpie to paint it black. I don't think spray paint would work as well in this application, since the glass seems like it will contact the foam. I need to have a look at this myself to understand the contact point(s), but I'm stoked about the possibility of this fixing an annoyance my dealer won't even acknowledge exists.
Sonartech,

Great idea on using the Sharpie to color! I think I may try that and avoid having to remove the foam to replace or color it. I'd rather leave well enough alone so that if I don't take a chance of goofing it up on a second attempt. As far as the dealer goes, I am sooooo waiting for them to call and tell me the replacement mirror came in so I can tell them where to install it!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was going to write about my "fix" following ATLPal's method but I don't think it worked for me. I will try using the foam and will follow the video to the T. Have to do this over the weekend and will report back here. Have to buy the foam first...lol.

Thanks ATLPal for the videos.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I may have already mentioned this but while waiting for the delivery of my Pally I had a loaner Pally for a few days which had the whistle from the drivers side window. I found that it was from the top of the window and by briefly hitting the down button the whistle stopped. Putting it all the way up the whistle started again. My current Pally doesn't have the whistle but only the wind (or more like an air leak) from the lower area near the B pillar. So anyone that has the whistle may get some relief by slightly lowering the window, or by using the foam bead across the top channel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Given the fairly short length, I plan to use a wide-chisel pro sharpie to paint it black. I don't think spray paint would work as well in this application, since the glass seems like it will contact the foam.
Liquid black shoe polish before installation might be a solution. I’ve ordered the foam and am really looking forward to trying the “fix”.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I may have already mentioned this but while waiting for the delivery of my Pally I had a loaner Pally for a few days which had the whistle from the drivers side window. I found that it was from the top of the window and by briefly hitting the down button the whistle stopped. Putting it all the way up the whistle started again. My current Pally doesn't have the whistle but only the wind (or more like an air leak) from the lower area near the B pillar. So anyone that has the whistle may get some relief by slightly lowering the window, or by using the foam bead across the top channel.
Mickey,

You're absolutely correct about slightly lowering the window to stop the whistle noise. I did that at first and it worked, but I could hear more road noise, especially at high speeds. So I'd be driving down the highway playing with the button trying to stop the whistle but keep the road noise level down as well. Between that and 5 trips to the dealer who did nothing I'd had it. Just inserting foam across the top channel may work also, but I'd already installed it in the rubber gasket/seal first and then did the window channel, so I don't know how effective one is without the other.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sonartech,

Great idea on using the Sharpie to color! I think I may try that and avoid having to remove the foam to replace or color it. I'd rather leave well enough alone so that if I don't take a chance of goofing it up on a second attempt. As far as the dealer goes, I am sooooo waiting for them to call and tell me the replacement mirror came in so I can tell them where to install it!
FYI, Just tried coloring the foam with a Black Sharpie, not so good. The color was sort of purple when finished and it was unevenly applied because of the softness of the foam. When I pushed harder to apply the Sharpie the foam moved around in the track. You may have better results. I removed it and installed new foam until I can test another coloring method.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I know what I did wrong when I installed the weatherstrip.When I installed the top of the window, I put the strip on the inside of the car of the gasket instead of the outside part (compared to your video). I will try to adjust that and see if it would work with weatherstrip (it's black, so no need to color). Will report back if it works.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm going to order this backer rod material and see if it's darker than the Frost King variety. Hopefully it's dark enough it doesn't need a paint job... Apparently there's no black backer rod material for sale anywhere...

Sashco 30100 Pre-Caulking Filler Rope Backer Rod, 3/8-Inch x 20-Feet, Gray
Fantastic. Let us know if it's dark enough and not noticeable. If so, then I may change to this darker material. Just for grins and giggles I installed the foam into both of the back windows channels, where the window closes at the top. Doesn't affect the window operation at all but I just want to see if it dampens anymore outside road noise. I expect that it will.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fantastic. Let us know if it's dark enough and not noticeable. If so, then I may change to this darker material. Just for grins and giggles I installed the foam into both of the back windows channels, where the window closes at the top. Doesn't affect the window operation at all but I just want to see if it dampens anymore outside road noise. I expect that it will.
Have you also applied the foam in the rear window perimeter channels? I’m waiting right now for Amazon to deliver my foam and I intend to install it in all four window tracks and perimeters. I should be able to post results in a few hours. Wish me luck. PS: My wind noise issues are minor, but still annoying. Only the passenger side is affected but I’d like all doors and windows as quiet as possible. I have an appointment at the dealer to address the wind noise next week but prefer to fix it myself. Thanx to all for all of the good ideas.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you also applied the foam in the rear window perimeter channels? I’m waiting right now for Amazon to deliver my foam and I intend to install it in all four window tracks and perimeters. I should be able to post results in a few hours. Wish me luck. PS: My wind noise issues are minor, but still annoying. Only the passenger side is affected but I’d like all doors and windows as quiet as possible. I have an appointment at the dealer to address the wind noise next week but prefer to fix it myself. Thanx to all for all of the good ideas.
ckon,

On the rear windows I only installed in the inside channel that runs across the top. Did not install along the sides. The side channels appear to be pretty snug and I didn't want to potentially move the window off track in the up/down movement. Again, there's enough room in the top channel to accommodate the 3/8 inch foam with no problem, and doesn't affect the closing of the window.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ckon,

On the rear windows I only installed in the inside channel that runs across the top. Did not install along the sides. The side channels appear to be pretty snug and I didn't want to potentially move the window off track in the up/down movement. Again, there's enough room in the top channel to accommodate the 3/8 inch foam with no problem, and doesn't affect the closing of the window.
UPDATE: I’ve applied the treatment to all four windows and all four tracks. It’s a little hard to quantify the improvement because the noise I had was quite moderate - not nearly as severe as others have noted - but there is definitely an improvement. It now seems like I’m mostly hearing tire and road noise with just a bit of wind. Probably not more than just normally but I’m now being really picky.

I think the best thing I can do is remove all of the “fix” next week before my appointment and let the dealer see what can be fixed. Then I’ll reinstall all of the foam for the maximum possible improvement. I’ll keep y’all posted.

·
Registered
71 Posts
PS: I did the fix in stages and when I added the foam to the rear windows there was definitely an additional benefit. Slight, but still a bit better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
PS: I did the fix in stages and when I added the foam to the rear windows there was definitely an additional benefit. Slight, but still a bit better.
Did you happen to add the foam to the inside and outside, at different stages? I sorta suspect one or the other step might be redundant, but I'm not sure. My wind noise was pretty moderate, too.. and I've actually done another separate fix (and an updated/clarified photo) that solved like 95% of the issue to begin with. I thiiink adding the foam is helping, additionally, but it's hard to tell. Either way, I'm happy since now 99% of the wind noise is basically completely gone. Just trying to understand the issue better, at this point.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ckon,
Thanks for the update. I'd be curious to see what your dealer finds, recommends, and then fixes. Would also like to know how the dealer fixes affects the problem PRIOR to you reinstalling the foam. Comments that I see in this conversation and others is that dealers are playing "whack a mole" with customers, having them to return repeatedly in some cases until they can duplicate the problem. That was my experience. If your dealer fixes the problem I may try again, otherwise I'll stuck with what I've got. I've had NO issues since installing the foam.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you happen to add the foam to the inside and outside, at different stages? I sorta suspect one or the other step might be redundant, but I'm not sure. My wind noise was pretty moderate, too.. and I've actually done another separate fix (and an updated/clarified photo) that solved like 95% of the issue to begin with. I thiiink adding the foam is helping, additionally, but it's hard to tell. Either way, I'm happy since now 99% of the wind noise is basically completely gone. Just trying to understand the issue better, at this point.
Sorry, no, I did all of the front then all of the back so I really can’t tell which part did the most good. After I go to the dealer I may try adding your fix, too. I think someone who has more noise to begin with may be better able to chime in with better info.

One other point I forgot to mention is that all of my noise, even though it is not all that loud, is on the passenger side. The driver's side is totally silent under all conditions. Since that's obviously a reachable outcome my goal is to get the passenger side equally quiet. I don't see how the dealer could disagree with that goal.

61 - 80 of 113 Posts