Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

221 - 240 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
First image you can see my 3/8” foam tube in the interior window channel nearer the side view mirror. As you install the foam nearer the B pillar you will need your plastic pushing tool to get it down into the V

second image shows the area where it will take a stronger effort to install the foam tubing into the interior window sweep

third pic show the exterior window sweep. I split it apart and you can see the 1/4” foam tube already installed

Attachments

·
Registered
454 Posts
@raggedy1 About as thorough as I’ve seen anyone do for a wind-noise-solve.
Yeah, it really sucks yours had that awful wind buffeting. Amazing the dealer couldn't figure out a fix for it. As bad as it was you'd think it would have been an obvious defective part, but they couldn't and now you're in your X7. Even with the other issues you had, I get the sense if they could have solved your buffeting issue you would have been happy to keep the Palisade.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, it really sucks yours had that awful wind buffeting. Amazing the dealer couldn't figure out a fix for it. As bad as it was you'd think it would have been an obvious defective part, but they couldn't and now you're in your X7. Even with the other issues you had, I get the sense if they could have solved your buffeting issue you would have been happy to keep the Palisade.
So quick question for you. After you added all this foam to your door have you noticed the window travel up and down slower than with no foam? Do you see that it's making the window motor work harder or anything like that? I only put the 3/8 foam on the interior part as you stated but haven't noticed anything wrong with so was just curious if it's any issue with added foam

·
Registered
454 Posts
Nope, I don't notice any motor straining at all. So you went straight to step 3 for me, and that's the one that fixed the whistle for me. I wonder if steps 1 and 2 on my list help at all, but oh well, I'm not about to pull it out to experiment! Last thing I want to is fiddle with it and wreck my wind noise fix.

hahhaha

·
Registered
68 Posts
Nope, I don't notice any motor straining at all. So you went straight to step 3 for me, and that's the one that fixed the whistle for me. I wonder if steps 1 and 2 on my list help at all, but oh well, I'm not about to pull it out to experiment! Last thing I want to is fiddle with it and wreck my wind noise fix.

hahhaha
Yeah don’t bother lol. I was mainly concerned about the whistle which is what step 3 fixed. I do still have wind noise but I can live with it. Might try the outer 1/4 rope to see if it helps with any wind noise but if it doesn’t no biggie.

·
Registered
454 Posts
if you have both diameters then might as well do all 3 steps? It might help a little overall with wind noise, but if your overall wind noise is what I'm experiencing then, like you said, it's not a big deal. I consider it normal wind noise.

what else would you use the foam insulation tubing for anyways? hahaha

It won't put any extra strain on your window mirrors, I don't think.

glad you solved your whistle too!

·
Banned
674 Posts
The Palisade is an amazing vehicle. You won’t find another vehicle for $51K that has better tech, more amenities or more room for a family hauler. I sincerely wish ours would’ve been better built, but it wasn’t. Things worked out in the end. Had things not happened they way they did I NEVER would’ve even considered the X7. We’re very happy with how everything turned out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just found this forum and saw people posting about noise issues and though I'd post mine as well in case someone else has the same problem.

I have an AWD Limited 2020 model.

Just recently, maybe in the last couple of weeks, whenever I hit ~63/65 mph, it starts to sound something like being in a wind tunnel or just a dull, echo-y noise. What I noticed, though, is that if it put my arm up against the door, the leather area up by the window, and press into it, the noise stops. Pull my arm away, noise happens again.

I left my Palisade at the dealer so they could look it over and after three days in the shop the only they said they didn't notice anything. A couple days later, driving down the interstate in my area, the wind sound is back, and very, very loud. Taking back into shop today.

If anyone else has experienced this, let me know.

Thanks!
I can confirm this as well. Test drove a 2020 and 2021. The wind noise was a deal breaker on the 2020.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Palisade is an amazing vehicle. You won’t find another vehicle for $51K that has better tech, more amenities or more room for a family hauler. I sincerely wish ours would’ve been better built, but it wasn’t. Things worked out in the end. Had things not happened they way they did I NEVER would’ve even considered the X7. We’re very happy with how everything turned out.
I am seriously considering selling out to dealership and getting the 2021 BMW X7 because of you! But I totally agree with you regarding the space, upholder, and tech and the overall package when it comes to kids etc. I also did not realize that you can't fold the second row seats flat if you get the X7 with captain chairs plus the cupholders for kids almost do not exist or are not practical. I will greatly appreciate it if you can provide any additional tip or advice if I decide to go that route. Also, I hope it's not silly to ask approx. how much total discounts/rebates or percentage discount can you usually negotiate ion the X7...I am considering 40i

·
Banned
674 Posts
I found 15% OFF MSRP around northern Virginia was pretty easy to come by. Mine was a CPO for $20K off so I couldn’t say no. We have the second row bench in our X7. Very comfy. Massage seats are a nice touch too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for sharing. If yours has captain chairs, what do you think about the fact of not being able to fold them flat. Also, does it bother you that the mere are only two cup holders for second-row passengers on the floor?

·
Banned
674 Posts
We must be an anomaly, but we’ve never needed more than 1 cup holder per seat. These 7 or 8 seat vehicles with 13-17 cup holders are definitely serving a different demographic. We have the bench seat so the folding flat thing is a non-issue.

What Palisade Limited owners won’t admit, is how many times they’ve gone to lower their 2nd or 3rd row and it won’t do it because of where the seats are positioned. If the second row is too far back the 3rd row won’t go down, same for the 2nd row relative to the front seats. So you end up having to go back and manually adjust all the seats any way rendering the push buttons at the rear pretty useless at least 50% of the time. The X7 moves all the seats from the rear cargo area to allow for the folding no matter what their position. The 2nd row seats in the X7 are also power operated versus manual in the Palisade. The 3rd row is also heated in the X7 and has its own sunroof and HVAC controls making for a 6 zone system. The privacy shades are also motorized which is great for the grandkids who want it open when they’re awake or closed when they’re sleeping. These are voice activated through the ‘hey BMW’ interface.

There’s actually lots more, but suffice to say the X7 is in a different league......and it should be for $63K versus $53K for the Caligraphy model. As Hyundai inches up the MSRP they’ll need to be very careful to focus on quality gremlins. The wind noise issue, stinky seats and cracking windshields are going to keep them from pulling luxury premium owners down a notch. They’ll still be able to stretch a Santa Fe buyer to move up though which is probably where their calculus is coming from. Take a peak at the NHTSA reports. The Palisade and Telluride seem to be adding 15 to 20 complaints per month. The X7 had 2 in 2019 (first year model) and 2 in 2020 so far. To make that qualitative you can divide the number of complaints per thousand sold. That’s where the Hyundai products (Telluride and Palisade) are showing 5 to 10 times higher incidence rates. You have to include your VIN so I believe that these are real owners with real complaints that they are so frustrated by the dealer and Hyundai USA that they’ve elevated these to a NHTSA complaint - 81 times for Palisade and 130 times for the Telluride on essentially the same vehicle.

Full disclosure, our X7 is vault quiet way up to 90mph and I must admit, it’s a lot of fun to feel a vehicle of this size sprint from 0 - 60 in 5.4 seconds. But, our other new vehicle has a wind noise issue that is roughly just as loud as our 2020 Palisade was, although without the droning and resonance. It’s our ‘new to us’ 2010 Ford F-150 with 159K on the odometer. I picked this up last Saturday for $14,250 and I absolutely love it. They also filled the gas tank for free.....36 gallons. LOL Thanks to @raggedy1 for the tips on weather stripping for wind noise mitigation. Ran a strip along the leading edge of the window and the whistling is gone. Best $10 ever!

And before anyone comments on those chrome wheels, they are absolutely coming off. Already have Venom Power Terra Hunter 33/12.5/r20 and Vision Spyder 20x10” wheels ready to mount once the 2” leveling kit is installed.

PS - Here’s the picture of the window stripping installed. Terrible picture but you get the idea. I found the weather stripping at Lowe’s home improvement for $9.82. It’s actually a “B” shape and I split it. So you end up with 24’. I did all 4 doors and its noticeable more quiet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Did you mistype the price of the X7? All the X7 that I have seen are in the eighty thousand range. At that price difference the Palisade is a bargain. Not bragging but I have owned several new cars including Mercedes Benz ,BMW including X5 and M5 and they are fun cars to drive but they are not trouble free and when something breaks they are very expensive to repair. Even normal maintenance is very expensive. I am glad you are enjoying your X7 but get rid of it before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Take a peak at the NHTSA reports. The Palisade and Telluride seem to be adding 15 to 20 complaints per month. The X7 had 2 in 2019 (first year model) and 2 in 2020 so far. To make that qualitative you can divide the number of complaints per thousand sold. That’s where the Hyundai products (Telluride and Palisade) are showing 5 to 10 times higher incidence rates. You have to include your VIN so I believe that these are real owners with real complaints that they are so frustrated by the dealer and Hyundai USA that they’ve elevated these to a NHTSA complaint - 81 times for Palisade and 130 times for the Telluride on essentially the same vehicle.
This is the part where I have to call you out yet again. The Palisade and Telluride are first-year models (very few 2021 out there yet). You canot compare directly to other models without taking that into consideration. In fact, the Palisade and Telluride have less complaints than other models in their first year. You are making it sound way worse than it is. Oh and there are duplicate complaints on NHTSA’s website for the Palisade. With the same VIN. As to the X7, it is not a direct competitor to the Palisade due to cost.

Not sure why this needs explained to you every time you post this nonsense.

·
Banned
674 Posts
As I stated our X7 was CPO with just under 4K miles. That makes the warranty very similar to the palisade. Bumper-to-bumper with $0 deductible.

Regarding first year model woes, the BMW X7 was a first year model in 2019. That’s why I included its performance with 2 NHTSA complaints. Again, not really a fair fight. BMW is a different class a vehicle. It should be better built, that’s why it cost more.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey there, I followed your advice and selling my Palisade this week and moving on to buy a 2021 BMW X5. You have really provided good insights in the past especially about prices and discounts, but since this is 2021 and it's gonna be a custom order (MSRP $75K), how much discounts do you think I should negotiate on that one based on your experience? I will really appreciate your help!

·
Registered
19 Posts
We bought our in Dec 19 and never had the noise issue until last week. It is loud, even with the radio and kids making noise. We have an appt at the dealer tomorrow. I will follow up with my experience.
Boch Hyundai Norwood, MA.

221 - 240 of 241 Posts