Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sport, Smart, or Eco? Has anyone noticed any difference in gas mileage between the settings? I'm using Smart and I'm averaging like 22 combined MPG.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Sport, Smart, or Eco? Has anyone noticed any difference in gas mileage between the settings? I'm using Smart and I'm averaging like 22 combined MPG.
You forgot Comfort. And Smart isn't a drive mode. Smart switches between Eco, Comfort and Sport depending on how you're driving. There's a way to visualize that on the cluster.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You forgot Comfort. And Smart isn't a drive mode. Smart switches between Eco, Comfort and Sport depending on how you're driving. There's a way to visualize that on the cluster.
Gotcha. I didn't realize that. Well does anyone routinely use anything other than Smart?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am using ECO and am getting 23.7 mpg with a high of 32.3 mpg. I use an app named "Fuelly Fuel-"Up" in conjunction with "Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG" to track my rates. I have found that the number reported via the onboard system to be way off. I don't know what they are using for that computation but I do know that fuelly simply takes the number of miles driven vs the number of gallons replenished to make the calculations.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Been using Smart but changed to Eco just to see how it is. Dont really feel the difference but hopefully I am saving some gas.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use smart and sport modes. I leave it in smart mode most of the time, but use sport somewhat frequently when I had to have fun or am in a hurry. Sport mode is the only mode where I notice an immediate difference. In addition to the higher RPMs, sport mode seems to eliminate the small amount of throttle lag that other modes have, especially when flooring the accelerator. Definitely not a sport car, but I really like the V6 in the Palisade and when in sport mode have no problems beating almost any other car when coming out of light to make a lane change, or accelerating onto the highway.

I haven't noticed any difference in gas milage when using comfort vs eco. I tried one full tank on eco but still got my typical 19 MPG

I don't think smart actually changes the drive mode. I leave mine in smart most of the time and have never seen the dial-color change or any other indication on either the dash or infotainment screen. I have noticed that when in smart mode and I floor the accelerator, my Palisade will get higher RPMs sooner then if I floor the accelerator when in comfort or eco mode. I think smart mode just alters the same parameters as other modes depending on the circumstance, but it doesn't actually change modes on the fly.

I am using ECO and am getting 23.7 mpg with a high of 32.3 mpg. I use an app named "Fuelly Fuel-"Up" in conjunction with "Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG" to track my rates. I have found that the number reported via the onboard system to be way off. I don't know what they are using for that computation but I do know that fuelly simply takes the number of miles driven vs the number of gallons replenished to make the calculations.
I've also noticed a difference between my calculated MPG (dividing miles by gallons) and the reported MPG. The difference started off around 1 - 2 MPG but has decreased over time. I have my settings set to automatically reset the "since refueling" counter once the tank is refueled, and those are the numbers that I record.

While I don't think the vehicle computer is all that accurate, the calculation method isn't that accurate either. The problem for both is that while you have a very accurate reading on the number of miles driven, you are only getting an estimate of how many gallons are in the tank. With the car's computer, I believe this is read via a tank sensor. When using pen and paper (or your app), this is reported by the gas pump you are using and what it thinks "full" means. Assuming you don't overfill, the number of gallons you record is based off when the pump shuts off, and this is based on multiple factors. Most pumps shut off when they detect that the flow of air back into the pump has stopped, but this detection is based on the pressure of the gasoline coming out of the hose as well as the calibration of the pump itself. Pumps with gas reservoirs that are close to empty will have lower pressure and thus will shut off later, leading to more gas being pumped, leading to lower calculated gas mileage. Other factors include the shape of the gas tank and the pipe that connects the tank to the opening. Narrower pipes and tanks will trigger the pump to stop sooner because the incoming gas will rise before settling.

You can get pretty good relative comparisons if you use the same pump at the same gas station to refill every time. Another thing to do to improve the accuracy is to manually stop the gas flow when you are around one gallon away from being full. Then change the gas pump to lock at the lowest level so there is less flow/pressure for the last gallon or so.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I don't think smart actually changes the drive mode. I leave mine in smart most of the time and have never seen the dial-color change or any other indication on either the dash or infotainment screen. I have noticed that when in smart mode and I floor the accelerator, my Palisade will get higher RPMs sooner then if I floor the accelerator when in comfort or eco mode. I think smart mode just alters the same parameters as other modes depending on the circumstance, but it doesn't actually change modes on the fly.
It does change drive modes, but, if I remember correctly, it doesn't give you the animation or color change that you would get when switching manually.

There is a way to visualize this on the cluster. I know it's on the Limited and on the SEL at least. It's on of the info displays that you can cycle through - it's not necessarily on by default. You'll see a progress bar with Comfort in the center. As you drive aggressively, the bar fills up in red towards the right. Once it reaches the right end of the progress bar, it switches to Sport. Similarly, as you drive economically, the bar fills up green towards the left. When it reaches the end, it switches to Eco mode. It switches back to Comfort eventually as your driving situation evolves.

The whole progress bar gimmick is just to illustrate that it doesn't switch instantly. That helps avoid situations where it would switch to Sport every time you press the gas pedal after being stopped at a red light - it takes more than that, thankfully.

I don't have a picture of it, or I'd share it.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have found that when in the SMART mode the "SMART" will change colors as the perceived mode changes "Green-Eco", "Blue-Comfort", and "Red-Sport". Additionally once the cruise control is engaged the system appears to be in Comfort mode.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I‘ve been using Eco regularly, including during a recent trip from DC to SC. My high while driving ~ 73 mph, coming and going, was 27.2. I don’t bother w/ keeping copious fuel stats, but I am pleased w/ how Infrequently I need to refill the tank, and especially during my recent highway trip.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I usually just stay in Eco mode. I can get up to 29mpg on the highway. And anywhere from 23 to 27 elsewhere. I am no longer a lead foot driver. I haven’t used the paddle shifters yet. I would use them in mountainous areas. In our Santa Fe I would use the manual shift mode when we were traveling out west going through mountain passes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts