Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Sport Mode more and more, especially around town and I'm really pleased with it. The responsiveness of the throttle mapping and the feel of the steering input are really an effective antidote to the lack of a bigger engine. Anybody else using Sport Mode much?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All of the reviewers pretty much played it down with a kinda “meh” during the introductions and reviews I read. I think they missed a gem.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I guess I’ll be the dissenting voice then. I find that sport mode doesn’t improve the throttle response enough. I drove a Santa Fe a few years ago and the difference between sport mode and the others was very pronounced. It took off as soon as you pressed the gas pedal. On the Palisade, I feel that you need to push the pedal down quite a bit before something happens, and sport mode doesn’t seem to improve that.

Just my 2 cents. And I realize the Palisade isn’t meant to be driven like a sports car. Just wished sport mode did a little more.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m sure that whatever else you’re used to driving has an effect on your impression of the acceleration. I’m used to a 4Runner so the Palisade feels pretty responsive in Sport.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I use the sport mode all the time. I prefer sport over smart, which I used for the first month or so. Now sport is all i use.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I almost started a post on this before. I came from a 2015 Ford Explorer Sport (365 HP) and I was never that impressed. I had turbo lag and the car was just never consistently powerful. I don't think some people realize how glitchy turbo engines seem to be and the only time that car felt halfway fast was when you had to use 93 gas.

Back in my younger days, I went through quite a sports car phase and appreciate responsive power. I will say the Palisade on sport mode, amazes me! Torque is present all over the place!

I read the reviews and of course all the professional car enthusiast outlets say that it is not anything that will plant you in your seat; but if you look at the current vehicles they are likely to compare to are things like a Mercedes or Porsche Cayenne pushing 400 - 500 hp, give me a break.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was temporarily driving my parents' 2019 Sonata before I picked up my Palisade, and I kept that car permanently on Sport mode for better throttle response. There was marked difference in how it accelerates, which you definitely notice/feel even if you just tap on the gas pedal. In contrast, the Palisade's sport mode doesn't really give you that instant difference in initial acceleration. Instead, what I've noticed sport mode does is keep the car accelerating in lower gears (i.e. higher RPMs) before upshifting. Which is good/fine, but again the sport mode doesn't really improve the actual initial acceleration. The phrasing might sound odd, but I think I'd describe the Sonata's sport mode as accelerating "better", whereas the Palisade's sport mode just accelerates "more".

Not to suggest that the Palisade's acceleration is sluggish, even in comfort or eco modes, the Palisade obviously has far more torque/acceleration than the Sonata. But I've not found the sport mode to make all that much of a difference (at least, in a way that makes it worthwhile to me personally) on the Palisade specifically. I'm keeping the car in Smart mode these days, and haven't really felt the need to change to anything else.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was temporarily driving my parents' 2019 Sonata before I picked up my Palisade, and I kept that car permanently on Sport mode for better throttle response. There was marked difference in how it accelerates, which you definitely notice/feel even if you just tap on the gas pedal. In contrast, the Palisade's sport mode doesn't really give you that instant difference in initial acceleration. Instead, what I've noticed sport mode does is keep the car accelerating in lower gears (i.e. higher RPMs) before upshifting. Which is good/fine, but again the sport mode doesn't really improve the actual initial acceleration. The phrasing might sound odd, but I think I'd describe the Sonata's sport mode as accelerating "better", whereas the Palisade's sport mode just accelerates "more".

Not to suggest that the Palisade's acceleration is sluggish, even in comfort or eco modes, the Palisade obviously has far more torque/acceleration than the Sonata. But I've not found the sport mode to make all that much of a difference (at least, in a way that makes it worthwhile to me personally) on the Palisade specifically. I'm keeping the car in Smart mode these days, and haven't really felt the need to change to anything else.
That is exactly what I was trying to convey in my earlier post in this thread. I completely agree. The initial throttle response should differ more in Sport mode from the other modes than it does (in my opinion, of course). It's not what the car is designed for, clearly, and it's not a deal-breaker by any means, but it would be nice to have that initial throttle response. As I mentioned in my earlier post, I drove a Santa Fe, which is also an SUV and not a sports car, and its Sport mode really changes the throttle response. I would have liked something similar.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the Palisade has plenty of power for what it does. I have no complaints. I drive a X7 M50i, audi R8, and a v10 M6 and I never really have the need for more power on my wife's Palisade. Though she's only had the car a few days, I don't see my observations changing. For the money it cant be beat.

Edit: sorry long work night with the Canelo fight last night. Yes the sport mode does feel real peppy and I can surely tell the difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts