Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Do you use a screen protector on your Palisade?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's been discussed before, but we have a lot of new owners and they might not use the search function for a problem if they haven't experienced the problem - yet, and a screen protector thread hasn't popped up to the top page in many months.

One owner (now no longer an owner) complained that he scratched 3 media/navigation screens, getting them replaced under warranty. Why would you NOT put a screen protector on after the first time Hyundai replaced the screen for you?!?

I have always been one to put a screen protector on my phones, and the screen protector for the Palisade I purchased before even taking delivery of my Palisade.

So while I don't know if the screen actually scratches as easily as alleged, I would still recommend getting a screen protector.

·
Banned
673 Posts
@raggedy1 Good poll. We had a screen protector on our NAV/Media, although we never had a problem with ours and I think it may be a bit of overkill. For $10, if it gives you peace of mind I say go for it. However, I think the NAV screens are actually pretty hard to scratch.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So when you had issues with scratching hvac screens were you talking about the small screen showing temperature and fan speed? That screen does show scratches, but not enough of an issue for me to worry about. I try to wipe it only with a soft microfiber and it still does have a few light scratches

·
Banned
673 Posts
Dealer told us that micro fiber towels cause the scratching so be careful. My wife is maniacal about clean car interiors and scratches drive her crazy. Our 2013 Jeep was nearly perfect inside after 7 years/90K miles. The dealer scratched this screen pretty severely during PDI which caused the first replacement. Think a Zoro-like Z across the face about 3mm wide from end to end. The PDI tech told my wife, and I quote - ‘just tell your husband to order some plastic scratch remover and that will buff right out.’ First of all, nope, you scratched it, you fix it. Second, that won’t work on this kind of plastic. It’s a very soft plastic and buffing, as you would a headlight cover, will NOT fix it. I’d clean this area only as needed. The scratches will build up over time and this can be a high touch area, if only by accident due to its location. If you can custom cut a protective covering, this is definitely an area I would consider.

The NAV screen and digital dash though are pretty resilient from my experience. Again only 1 year and 17K miles. I’m sure there are others with more months and miles.

ALSO - For our last replaced screen we asked the dealer to leave the protective shipping plastic on that part. We never took it off. That will be perfect for the new owner.

So when you had issues with scratching hvac screens were you talking about the small screen showing temperature and fan speed? That screen does show scratches, but not enough of an issue for me to worry about. I try to wipe it only with a soft microfiber and it still does have a few light scratches

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok. I haven't found he need to clean this small screen but I'll keep your tip in mind. I also have lens cleaner cloths I could use. maybe I'll look into a screen protector I can cut out for this area.

·
Banned
673 Posts
Honestly I thought the dealer used a dirty rag with some grit on it. After the second screen I was afraid to go near it with anything more abrasive than a keyboard air duster. My wife made the right call and left the plastic on it.

Just to prove how picky she is, I spent an hour wrapping the BMW sill plates after I took off the shipping plastic. Hard to believe they were still on after 6 mos and 5K miles.

Ah ok. I haven't found he need to clean this small screen but I'll keep your tip in mind. I also have lens cleaner cloths I could use. maybe I'll look into a screen protector I can cut out for this area.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
249 Posts
I use screen protector on my phone because it's all over the place but I have never used screen protectors on touchscreens in cars. I don't see how I can scratch the screen with my finger tips.

Every single car I've had since about 2010 has had a touchscreen and I never had issues. Didn't even know there were screen protectors for cars.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TBH, I only got the screen protector because of what I read online about screens scratching, not knowing it was the wrong screen I was thinking of! LOL

oh well, this survey is useless and I only spend 11 bucks on the thing so whatever...

heehee

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had an anti glare screen protector made for the nav screen as well as the hvac screen cause the one on amazon shows smudges too easily. Also too much glare from the screen. Photodon.com is where I got it made

·
Registered
47 Posts
I know it's been discussed before, but we have a lot of new owners and they might not use the search function for a problem if they haven't experienced the problem - yet, and a screen protector thread hasn't popped up to the top page in many months.

One owner (now no longer an owner) complained that he scratched 3 media/navigation screens, getting them replaced under warranty. Why would you NOT put a screen protector on after the first time Hyundai replaced the screen for you?!?

I have always been one to put a screen protector on my phones, and the screen protector for the Palisade I purchased before even taking delivery of my Palisade.

So while I don't know if the screen actually scratches as easily as alleged, I would still recommend getting a screen protector.

did not know they had these, thanks for including the link to order.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an anti glare screen protector made for the nav screen as well as the hvac screen cause the one on amazon shows smudges too easily. Also too much glare from the screen. Photodon.com is where I got it made
I ordered one from photodon today for the nav screen did the MXH25 which did you order and how do you like it? How did your order one custom made on there for the HVAC screen. Thank you for a reply if you see this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I now have the HVAC ones on order from photodon, will let everyone know once installed, the tricky part is we don't take ownership until February 23rd of our calligraphy, still on its way here....LOL

·
Registered
40 Posts
Unfortunately the Hyundai factory screen cover has printing on it so it had to be removed even though it still worked fine. No printing on the screen cover for the 2015 chevy we just sold.
Still had the screen protector on from the factory 5 years later.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I now have the HVAC ones on order from photodon, will let everyone know once installed, the tricky part is we don't take ownership until February 23rd of our calligraphy, still on its way here....LOL
Can you provide the measurements you used? Based on your review, I'd like to order one so thanks for keeping us updated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can you provide the measurements you used? Based on your review, I'd like to order one so thanks for keeping us updated.
This is what i received as a response from Photodon and the measurements i went with, as stated earlier we don't have our palisade yet so can't measure. See below for reply from photodon

Thank you for finding us and reaching out. I found that 3 folks have ordered a custom cut protector for their HVAC/temperature control screens in their Palisades. None of the dimensions are exactly the same, but they are all very similar at around 150mm x 25.4mm for the front control. One customer created a custom cut for the back controller, and those dimensions ended up being 75mm x 19mm.

We do not know how the fit for any of these customers ended up being, but if you would like to help us, that would be fantastic

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Paladium, out of curiosity what did it cost you?
More than the Amazon ones for sure, however I have used photodon films for other screens and love their products. Each little hvac screen was 16 but I went with the 9ho which is their best stuff and then 20 something for the mxh for navigation screen

1 - 19 of 19 Posts