Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

121 - 140 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Look at Page 5 Post #99 by Ryan2020, he describes how to remove them. I haven't gotten there yet so I haven't actually done it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good evening to all. Thank you all very much for your information and thanks for figuring out what was causing this smell in the 2020 Palisade Limited. We have the white with white interior and have complained since driving it away (though only to my wife have I complained) until tonight. Mightyquinn, you have done more for Hyundai than I've heard they've done, that is unacceptable.
Tomorrow I will open a ticket with corporate. Thank you again to you all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
a lot of manufacturers have leather seating surfaces only, so the headrests and armrests are going to be vinyl on many cars.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great video and you make it look a lot easier, my covers seemed to be on there a lot tighter than yours :)
There is a center headrest on the 3rd row. It comes off like the front headrests. Also, it has velcro inside that you have to pull apart to remove the leather cover. All 7 of my headrest had the smell. We soaked them like you suggested in Hydrogen Peroxide and they are all drying now. The smell faded immediately. Thanks for your suggestions!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Are you mixing the hp with anything or straight? How much do we need to buy if you're actually soaking them?
Use straight hydrogen peroxide. We poured a full bottle into a rectangular glass cooking dish and pressed all sides of the foam into the liquid, then pressed the inside-out cover until everything was saturated. The smell fades quickly. Everything goes out into the sun to dry. It took 2 full bottles and we saved the liquid in case we need to retreat tomorrow. I'm going to use conditioner on the leather side when dry.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had HP in a spray bottle so that made it easier to apply it to the headrests. They take about as much work to get on as they do to get off, you just have to work the cover down over it as you compress the foam back in.

Just FYI, this is why HP is in a brown bottle for(I got this off a google search):

The packaging of hydrogen peroxide in brown bottles is essential to ensure that it retains its chemical properties. If hydrogen peroxide is heated or is exposed to trace amounts of metal or metal ions it turns into water or oxygen. Glass bottles sometimes have small amounts of alkali metal ions dissolved in it. This is why plastic bottles or glass bottles coated with wax are used instead. The brown tint of the bottle prevents light being absorbed by the solution, preventing the oxidation and reduction reaction.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Don't know why there are a few people so bent on pointing out that the headrests are NOT leather(which I do agree after looking it up) but it would be helpful to all if you explained why as I am sure not everyone is/was aware of that.

As for an update on the smell, I put the first 4 headrests in last night and checked the Palisade this morning before leaving for work and the smell was still there. I'm leaning towards there is something in the VINYL :) headrests causing the smell as that seems to be where the odor is coming from. The foam pretty much smells fresh as soon as you take the cover off while the cover itself seems to hold the odor more. I think I am going to remove all the headrests and air out the Palisade and see if it is truly the headrests causing the issue before I go to plan B of removing the smell from the headrests. I will also check the ones I cleaned already to see if the smell is still there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As for an update on the smell, I put the first 4 headrests in last night and checked the Palisade this morning before leaving for work and the smell was still there. I'm leaning towards there is something in the VINYL :) headrests causing the smell as that seems to be where the odor is coming from. The foam pretty much smells fresh as soon as you take the cover off while the cover itself seems to hold the odor more. I think I am going to remove all the headrests and air out the Palisade and see if it is truly the headrests causing the issue before I go to plan B of removing the smell from the headrests. I will also check the ones I cleaned already to see if the smell is still there.
The smell does seem to return to the headrest covers after treatment as if it is outgassing. I think some of the other padded vinyl in the car may be outgassing as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good afternoon forum. I wanted to again thank all of you for your helping each other, which helped me. I did as you advised, called corporate yesterday and was met by a professional, helpful young man. He took my info (I was on hold for 20 minutes before he answered, though I was told this by the answering computer) made me an appointment with my dealer, gave me my claim number and advised if it was not corrected at the dealer, to call back with that number.
I printed out a few of the pages here with the hard work that you have done to find what the problem is. That part does bother me that Hyundai didn't do this as we traded our 2013 Toyota Highlander for the Palisade (though my wife and I prayed for a new car and was blessed with this one while helping our daughter find a new car).
Thank you again and I will tell you the results of the dealer meeting.
Blessings. Timothy M. Shephard.

121 - 140 of 202 Posts