Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

101 - 120 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also John, did call Hyundai and got a claim number.
Thanks Ryan for the info on the 3rd row. I was able to remove them as you instructed. They stink too. My dealership has agreed to order a new set of headrests. I really think getting a case number from corporate pushed them to act. They said it would take 4-6 weeks from Korea. Let us know if your dealership does the same and how the test goes.
Good luck!

Just so everyone gets the word, I removed all of the headrests, sprayed a bit of febreeze inside the car and closed the windows. The nasty garlic smell was gone from the inside by the next morning. We put the headrest back when driving but remove again when parked. I don't think the smell is related at all to the leather treatment but confined to the foam inside the headrests.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks Ryan for the info on the 3rd row. I was able to remove them as you instructed. They stink too. My dealership has agreed to order a new set of headrests. I really think getting a case number from corporate pushed them to act. They said it would take 4-6 weeks from Korea. Let us know if your dealership does the same and how the test goes.
Good luck!

Just so everyone gets the word, I removed all of the headrests, sprayed a bit of febreeze inside the car and closed the windows. The nasty garlic smell was gone from the inside by the next morning. We put the headrest back when driving but remove again when parked. I don't think the smell is related at all to the leather treatment but confined to the foam inside the headrests.
John, we went back to the dealer last night and they brought a different palisade in for us to try out. It was still a limited and identical to ours. We checked the headrest and they were the same, very pungent. They said they would trade us cars but for us it wouldn't solve the problem. We left the headrests at the dealer and they gave us 2 front headrests from a lower model that are fabric that do not smell. (We didn't feel safe driving without a headrest) They had mentioned something about some after market headrests but they will never be able to match them. We told them we prefer that they order new ones. We are waiting to hear from them on what they are going to do. The smell in our car now that the headrests are out is much better. We feel that there is definitely residual odor impregnated into the interior and are hoping it will go away. If the car sits in the sun and heats up inside then the smell gets stronger. Each night we open all the windows and doors and put a fan in the back to blow through it all night in hopes that it will get rid of the smell. It's a bit ridiculous that we have to be doing all of this on a brand new car. Results from the lab could take a few weeks.
I do want to say that our salesman has been very attentive and understanding to the problem. I do think they want to solve the problem just not enough to give us our money back.
We have yet to hear back from Hyundai after getting a claim number. The lady I talked to said the case would be expedited and that I would hear from someone straight away, but nothing yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
John, we went back to the dealer last night and they brought a different palisade in for us to try out. It was still a limited and identical to ours. We checked the headrest and they were the same, very pungent. They said they would trade us cars but for us it wouldn't solve the problem. We left the headrests at the dealer and they gave us 2 front headrests from a lower model that are fabric that do not smell. (We didn't feel safe driving without a headrest) They had mentioned something about some after market headrests but they will never be able to match them. We told them we prefer that they order new ones. We are waiting to hear from them on what they are going to do. The smell in our car now that the headrests are out is much better. We feel that there is definitely residual odor impregnated into the interior and are hoping it will go away. If the car sits in the sun and heats up inside then the smell gets stronger. Each night we open all the windows and doors and put a fan in the back to blow through it all night in hopes that it will get rid of the smell. It's a bit ridiculous that we have to be doing all of this on a brand new car. Results from the lab could take a few weeks.
I do want to say that our salesman has been very attentive and understanding to the problem. I do think they want to solve the problem just not enough to give us our money back.
We have yet to hear back from Hyundai after getting a claim number. The lady I talked to said the case would be expedited and that I would hear from someone straight away, but nothing yet.
Is it possible you still have offgassing inside your car? Smell check the arm rests and center console or anything that might have foam like the headrest. My car does not smell once the headrests are removed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm trying to take the leather off the headrest. I can smell that nasty smell inside. Does anyone know of there is a video on how to remove the leather from the headrest?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I talked to my salesman who talked to the service manager. They won't do anything about it since that isn't a warranty item. The salesman is trying, he even took a headrest from a model they have in stock and it smelled. He said if we have enough people complain about it maybe they will issue a recall. In trying to stuff dryer sheets in there to see if that helps

·
Registered
725 Posts
I talked to my salesman who talked to the service manager. They won't do anything about it since that isn't a warranty item. The salesman is trying, he even took a headrest from a model they have in stock and it smelled. He said if we have enough people complain about it maybe they will issue a recall. In trying to stuff dryer sheets in there to see if that helps
You should call Hyundai corporate rather than go off of what the service manager said.

·
Registered
42 Posts
You should call Hyundai corporate rather than go off of what the service manager said.
I have and I have a ticket open with them. I brought this to my salesman before I called corp and he wanted me to keep him posted. I don't foresee corp doing anything about this though

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yesterday I removed one of the headrest from the 2nd row to see what I could do to remove the smell. I started off by sprinkling baking soda into the headrest between the leather and foam after unhooking the plastic clips on the bottom. Set that outside all day in the sun to see what happened. It didn't seem to do anything at all so last night before going to bed I poured vinegar all down inside of it and let it fizzle and soak in and then let that sit all night. While laying in bed thinking about it, I was curious if I would be able to remove the leather cover when I rinsed it out the next morning thinking the warm water will help the leather stretch a little more. Well, sure enough that worked like a charm!!!! This morning before church, I rinsed the headrest out with hot water from the sink (It still had the smell BTW) and started trying to work the cover off and it came off fairly easily with a little bit of work. I had to just work the edge down all the way around and then it just came off. Since the smell still persisted, I decided to spray the whole foam part of the headrest down with hydrogen peroxide ( I have used this in the past to get rid of smells like cat urine) and set it outside to dry and sit in the sun. Just got home and checked it and it seems like the smell is totally gone but the headrest is still wet. If this works I plan on rewetting the leather cover to reinstall it and then use a good leather conditioner before reinstalling it and then doing this treatment to the rest of them.

I will keep you guys updated here on my progress to let you know how things go. Hopefully I will have an update later this evening!!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just an update, The headrest foam is completely dry and scent free!! The leather cover still had a slight scent to it as I was letting that dry outside so I sprayed it down again with the Hydrogen Peroxide and set it in the sun to dry and I think the scent is gone. I will rewet it and reassemble it later tonight and then plan on doing the rest of them with JUST the hydrogen peroxide. Not sure if the peroxide is what is helping or just having it air out in the sun is helping but the smell is gone and keeping my fingers crossed. I feel like the leather cover was holding the smell in and just a little bit of it was escaping causing the smell in the vehicle. I'm wondering if they didn't let them "cure" long enough before putting the cover on??? I also found the date of manufacture once I removed the cover and mine was made 10-17-2019. My Palisade was made on 10-22-2019, so only 5 days apart which might explain why they didn't have enough time to cure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Last update for the day :) I put #1 headrest back together and there was a barely noticeable scent left but it was still damp and you really had to sniff hard to smell it so after putting it all back together I put a heavy coat of leather conditioner on it and reinstalled it. After dinner, I took the other 3 headrests off and stripped them down and doused them with the peroxide and have them sitting outside to dry and air out. With the leather covers, I turned them inside out as the liner seams to have a foam backing that appears to hold on to the smell more than the foam itself. I'm going to leave them outside rain or shine until tomorrow when I get home from work and see what I have. If this all checks out, I will probably do the 3 in the 3rd row tomorrow, I will also check to see if the interior of the Palisade smells any better too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Are the headrest on the limited made of leather or vinyl? I thought that the sitting surfaces were only leather.

101 - 120 of 202 Posts