Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

61 - 80 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
I bought one last August an am having the same problem. I can’t believe this. We have had 6 bombs in this $50,000 car. Mine smells like extreme bad breath. We have detailed it to death. It is ridiculous that nothing can be done because I love the car.
Have you changed the cabin filter?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes it should be. I’m have tried everything else. I will be ordering those. I’m so glad I found this forum because I have been complaining since last August and everyone looked at me like I was crazy.

·
Super Moderator
932 Posts
You might want to try something like the FRAM cabin filter which has activated charcoal and baking soda in them
If you can't find Palisade listed in filter reference, I found it uses the same cabin filter as Telluride, Santa Fe,
Santa Fe XL, and a number of other KIA and Hyundai vehicles

·
Registered
10 Posts
If your paid 50k for a Palisade that smells you need to raise the issue because this is a big deal. While dealing with Sam I smelled 2 other Limited Palisades on the lot with this same terrible smell, but came across one freshly dropped(film still on it) right next to a stinky one and no smell. Hyundai has likely fixed the issue and is trying to sweep it under the rug now to save costs.
[/QUOTE
I noticed it more when its closed up and has been sitting in the heat .. its smells like hot garbage..I have the beige seats an they were treated to be stain resistant..! Im going to take it in for the 5k service and see what the deal is. It’s a lease and for 50k..if they cant fix the wind noise the slow rear wiper and the stink! They can have it back

·
Registered
10 Posts
Why is that absurd? I haven't seen anyone make that claim on here that has a non-limited and different materials/adhesives for seats/doorpanels/headliner could be the source of this.
I wonder if its the leather but the common factor is so far its the limited

·
Registered
815 Posts
It's a possibilty. Over on the .org forum, someone made an observation that the smell appears to be isolated to the headrests. If you take off the headrests and take a smell where the metal guide rods come out of the headrest, you may see that you have found the source. That'd suggest something going on inside the headrests.

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a possibilty. Over on the .org forum, someone made an observation that the smell appears to be isolated to the headrests. If you take off the headrests and take a smell where the metal guide rods come out of the headrest, you may see that you have found the source. That'd suggest something going on inside the headrests.
Do they have a solution for this?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Stormy
Registered

Joined 5 mo ago
34 Posts
#2 a moment ago
I checked the 4 headrests, front and 2nd row. The first one I pulled, 2nd row left side, as described in my previous posts, was very stinky. The next 3 headrests smelled only like good rich leather. I had my wife also check all four of them and she confirmed my results. I guess it was just luck that the first one I tested was the only offender. I could speculate all evening on why only one headrest was stinky. Here's a wild theory: Hyundai has more than one vendor making the headrests and my car got the last one of a batch from the vendor who uses inferior stuffing. The other three headrests came from a superior vendor. Why didn't I check the headrests on the 3rd row? Simple, I got lazy.

So, we gave the stinky headrest another shot of Lysol and the halitosis is now just barely detectable. I'll reinstall it tomorrow and then only time will tell if we solved the problem.

Follow up: Odor seems to be defeated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've got the same issue. Garlicky smell. 20 limited beige interior. Bought it a month ago.
That’s exactly the smell that I call hot garbage.. It seems like it may have been some type of off gassing because it happen when it was hot outside and I got mine in December so fingers crossed its done but its taken several hot days to get it out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My car started stinking bad in May 2020, possibly as early as April. I purchased it on 02-28-20. I keep it in the garage and don't drive it much now that the weather is nice and I mostly ride my motorcycle. But when I open the door, phew, it is a strong funk. I would say it smells like a weird greasy electrical odor of sorts. I don't know how else to describe it.

I'll give the headrests a sniff test and see if that is the source for mine.

06-15-20 UPDATE: The entire interior of my vehicle smells bad, so it is hard for me to pinpoint if it is the headrest itself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My car started stinking bad in May 2020, possibly as early as April. I purchased it on 02-28-20. I keep it in the garage and don't drive it much now that the weather is nice and I mostly ride my motorcycle. But when I open the door, phew, it is a strong funk. I would say it smells like a weird greasy electrical odor of sorts. I don't know how else to describe it.

06-15-20 UPDATE: The entire interior of my vehicle smells bad, so it is hard for me to pinpoint if it is the headrest itself.
Did you have the interior protection added when you purchased the car?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m about to purchase the Limited version of this car and I’ve asked them NOT to treat the interior with a protectant. In fact, I’ve asked them not to even wipe down the leather before I pick it up and told them ONLY to wash the outside of the vehicle. I don’t want any “off” odors to permeate the leather. I plan on taking the car to my friend that’s a car dealer to have him use something to clean and protect the leather that won’t “off-gas.”

I’ve read on another website that someone used a cleaner on their leather shoes and then they smelled like garlic. The following was the response from a leather expert.....which might pertain to the garlic smell that some are experiencing:

“The smell might have been caused by a chemical reaction with oils in the leather and leather cleaner.”

My friend that is a car detailer said that he could remove the protectant if I encountered a smell by cleaning it off and then reapplying a protectant that wouldn’t cause that chemical reaction or smell. He thought the protectant might just be an inferior product or it might be the leather itself that’s the problem (maybe some leathers are manufactured in one country and others manufactured in another country.....ie. it could just be the way the dyes are processed in the leather). It does seem to just be a problem with this particular trim (the Limited trim so maybe it’sa reaction with the nappa leather). Just postulating here. Either way, I’m a problem solver and I’m trying to pinpoint where the problem might be in case I encounter this issue with my car. I love the Limited Palisade and all of its features and I want to enjoy them for a long time.

Surely together we can work to solve this problem! I would love to get to the bottom of the issue so that all of you can enjoy your cars once again.

·
Registered
4 Posts

The weird, greasy electrical smell might be related to something spilled on the engine or something leaking maybe?

I’m not certain but I think the headrest issue might be related to the interior protectant added to the leather of the car and it usually smells like garlic.

61 - 80 of 413 Posts