Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

481 - 494 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have a 2020 Palisade Limited, Steel Graphite with Beige Interior, Napa Leather seats. When test driving, my wife and I noticed the "new car smell" was just a little different in the Limited Palisade than the typical new car smell in other vehicles. I purchased in mid-February, I think my Palisade was manufactured in Nov or Dec. 2019.

The odor lasted for maybe 2-3 months, then eventually went away. It wasn't so bad I couldn't drive it, but it definitely was a strange "new car smell," and more noticeable after I took ownership of the vehicle. I figured it was due to the glues/adhesives used in manufacture, but that's just a guess. Plus, I bought in the winter time (I'm in the midwest) so odors weren't that pronounced as they might be in the heat.

I'm one who likes window down, and come Spring, drove that way when I could, so maybe that helped, but the smell didn't last that long. Now when I get in the car, 8 months later, it has no odor, no "new car smell" anymore. It is pretty neutral. It's been this way for a few months. I also detail my interior and I used a leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather seats, the same I have used for a few years on other vehicles. (I apply it 2x per year, usually -- just apply the product to a microfiber cloth, and wipe on the leather seats.) Not saying that was the magic trick, but that might be worth a try if the common thought is the odor is from the Napa Leather seats. The conditioner referenced above leaves behind a leather scent. I wouldn't mess with removing headrests/fabreeze/baking soda and all that, since others seem to be reporting that doesn't do any good. And the first time I used the leather cleaner/conditioner, the unusual smell wasn't gone instantly, but it did gradually fade away, and maybe it helped to rub in some of that conditioner and release the odor from the leather seats, assuming that is the source.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased my Palisade Limited Trim with black interior in August 2020. Instead of having a new car smell, the interior has an unpleasant odor, the source of which I am unable to determine. I have checked for leaks, mold, etc. to no avail. I had initially attributed the odor to the fact that the car had only recently arrived in country and had been wrapped in protective covering during transport. However, it has now been months and the odor persists. Due to the weather and driving conditions since purchasing the Palisade, I have not had opportunities to give it a good airing out. Is anyone else experienced this unpleasant odor issue?
I just had my 2021 in to the dealership for the exact horrible smell and they couldn't find anything. Last night I received a call from the service manager who said Hyundai had sent out a memo to them stating it was probably coming from the foam inside the headrest and that the leather should be taken off the headrest and sprayed with something like Fabreeze. I don't want my leather torn up just to have Fabreeze sprayed on them. I had filed a complaint with the BBB and I think they think this will satisfy us. I'm not finished with them yet.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Seems like it’s been determined the smell is coming off the pleather covers and not the foam. The vinyl is durable so I wouldn’t worry too much about the covers getting torn up

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my Palisade Limited Trim with black interior in August 2020. Instead of having a new car smell, the interior has an unpleasant odor, the source of which I am unable to determine. I have checked for leaks, mold, etc. to no avail. I had initially attributed the odor to the fact that the car had only recently arrived in country and had been wrapped in protective covering during transport. However, it has now been months and the odor persists. Due to the weather and driving conditions since purchasing the Palisade, I have not had opportunities to give it a good airing out. Is anyone else experienced this unpleasant odor issue?
I just purchased a 2021 Palisade 2 weeks ago and the interior smells terrible. I have clipped 2 Fabrez car deodorizers on the A/C vents and even they don't cover the smell. If Hyundai doesn't come up with a solution soon, I'll have to bite the bullet and trade it in on something else. I have a 2020 Sonata that is great but I also wanted something bigger to pull my trailer. I'm leaning toward a Ford of some sort.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 Palisade Limited, Steel Graphite with Beige Interior, Napa Leather seats. When test driving, my wife and I noticed the "new car smell" was just a little different in the Limited Palisade than the typical new car smell in other vehicles. I purchased in mid-February, I think my Palisade was manufactured in Nov or Dec. 2019.

The odor lasted for maybe 2-3 months, then eventually went away. It wasn't so bad I couldn't drive it, but it definitely was a strange "new car smell," and more noticeable after I took ownership of the vehicle. I figured it was due to the glues/adhesives used in manufacture, but that's just a guess. Plus, I bought in the winter time (I'm in the midwest) so odors weren't that pronounced as they might be in the heat.

I'm one who likes window down, and come Spring, drove that way when I could, so maybe that helped, but the smell didn't last that long. Now when I get in the car, 8 months later, it has no odor, no "new car smell" anymore. It is pretty neutral. It's been this way for a few months. I also detail my interior and I used a leather cleaner and conditioner on the leather seats, the same I have used for a few years on other vehicles. (I apply it 2x per year, usually -- just apply the product to a microfiber cloth, and wipe on the leather seats.) Not saying that was the magic trick, but that might be worth a try if the common thought is the odor is from the Napa Leather seats. The conditioner referenced above leaves behind a leather scent. I wouldn't mess with removing headrests/fabreeze/baking soda and all that, since others seem to be reporting that doesn't do any good. And the first time I used the leather cleaner/conditioner, the unusual smell wasn't gone instantly, but it did gradually fade away, and maybe it helped to rub in some of that conditioner and release the odor from the leather seats, assuming that is the source.
Our Limited with black interior was built at the same time yours was and we picked it up in mid-January. This is exactly the same experience that we have had with the odor gradually going away and we don’t have it any longer. I also use a leather cleaner and conditioner and I believe that has made a difference. I didn’t think the smell was all that bad to begin with, but that’s just me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am interested in buying a Palisade Limited. I have spoke to the dealership at length about my concern with the smell. I will be trading in an Escalade for this which is a big change to what I am use too and am terrified my Palisade will smell. My dealership is honest and said they are aware of the smell problem. They have only had one new one come in so far with it a 2021 Calligraphy with beige interior and they ended up giving the people the selling price towards another vehicle (they choose a Buck enclave). They said they have had others but the smell was minor and they were all beige interior and they were able to rectify the problem. I am looking at black interior and while I see most posts complain of the beige interior I have also see some say they have the problem with black interior as well.

The dealership has offered to run it through an ozone system treatment before I even take possession if I would like. They never have any Palisades in stock and I actually have to wait for a shipment to come with what I want. Seems if they all smelled they would quit selling them. I am torn on what to do. I want to get rid of my Escalade because we bought it for the 3rd row seat and towing capability. I no longer need the towing capability and really want to cut my payment back. Is there anyone that has a Limited Palisade with black leather and does not have the smell associated with it? Or has had the ozone treatment done?

I know my dealership will let me out of it if the smell does start and I cannot handle it but I don't want to deal with that problem. This is the only SUV with a 3rd row seat that is even remotely worth the savings to get out of the luxury SUV trap.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Can the dealership share their secret on how they rectified the issue please? We bought our car back in February and till this day smell builds up inside the car when the weather gets warm. As far as I'm aware, Hyundai is still investigating and hasn't come up with the fix...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yuck. I don't understand why some people have the smell & others don't. I will certainly ask what they do to help it. Do you have beige or black interior?
There is 3 inches of snow on the ground & it is 22 degrees out so our warm days here are over for at least 6 months. Maybe they will have a fix by then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am interested in buying a Palisade Limited. I have spoke to the dealership at length about my concern with the smell. I will be trading in an Escalade for this which is a big change to what I am use too and am terrified my Palisade will smell. My dealership is honest and said they are aware of the smell problem. They have only had one new one come in so far with it a 2021 Calligraphy with beige interior and they ended up giving the people the selling price towards another vehicle (they choose a Buck enclave). They said they have had others but the smell was minor and they were all beige interior and they were able to rectify the problem. I am looking at black interior and while I see most posts complain of the beige interior I have also see some say they have the problem with black interior as well.

The dealership has offered to run it through an ozone system treatment before I even take possession if I would like. They never have any Palisades in stock and I actually have to wait for a shipment to come with what I want. Seems if they all smelled they would quit selling them. I am torn on what to do. I want to get rid of my Escalade because we bought it for the 3rd row seat and towing capability. I no longer need the towing capability and really want to cut my payment back. Is there anyone that has a Limited Palisade with black leather and does not have the smell associated with it? Or has had the ozone treatment done?

I know my dealership will let me out of it if the smell does start and I cannot handle it but I don't want to deal with that problem. This is the only SUV with a 3rd row seat that is even remotely worth the savings to get out of the luxury SUV trap.
I have the black interior. It smells. Most likely the one you get will too. And it gets worse over time. "My dealership is honest" LOL. "I know my dealership will let me out of it if the smell does start" LOL no, they will not

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the black interior. It smells. Most likely the one you get will too. And it gets worse over time. "My dealership is honest" LOL. "I know my dealership will let me out of it if the smell does start" LOL no, they will not
I have beige interior. Overall the car is good, but the smell ruins everything. And the dealership will not take it back, neither Hyundai. I tried :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have beige interior. Overall the car is good, but the smell ruins everything. And the dealership will not take it back, neither Hyundai. I tried :)
I mean they will if you lemon law it. I don't want to do that bc overall the car is great like you said except for the overwhelming odor you get when opening the door.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I mean they will if you lemon law it. I don't want to do that bc overall the car is great like you said except for the overwhelming odor you get when opening the door.
They already let someone out of their purchase because of the smell. I have no doubt they will let me out of it. We have worked with this dealership for years.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have no doubt they will take the vehicle back as they have already done it for someone else. There are definitely crappy dealers out there, they are not one of them. We have purchased many vehicles from them, dealt with many weird situations and always been taken care of.

I just worry about the smell. Have a friend that has one and she swears it doesn't smell at all. I just don't want to go through the hassle of turning it back in if the smell shows up.

481 - 494 of 494 Posts