Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

461 - 480 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
As for removing the 3rd head rests, the pic earlier in this thread shows where to push.

There's a button underneath the covering. The button doesn't depress very far and you have to really pull and wiggle the headrest to get it out. You can tell you are hitting the button because anywhere else on the head rest is squishy.
Yeah I have been feeling around there with no luck. I may be hitting it, but can’t get the headrests to budge. Interestingly enough, I feel like those smell the worst. However, I may be the one making it worse by squeezing and trying to wiggle those headrests off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm going to contact the dealer, Hyundai corporate and email [email protected] as they ask for people with the issue to respond at the end of their article on the issue https://www.cars.com/articles/csi-car-smell-investigation-2020-hyundai-palisade-edition-no-2-426728/. Not holding my breathe for them to fix it though.
Thanks for sharing this article. I emailed them as requested. I’m hoping that if enough people do the same, cars.com will escalate the feedback. While Hyundai may be working on this issue, negative PR can be a motivator to speed things along (i.e. pump resources into the problem).

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
16 Posts
Thanks for sharing. He makes it look so easy. I’m pushing where he is pushing and I think I feel the buttons, but the headrests won’t budge.
Yeah, mine were no where near that easy. Really had to yank and wiggle them to work them off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
FYI I called and submitted a case to Hyundai Corporate last night. No fix at this time, as was expected. Called the service department of the dealer I bought it from. He said he hadn’t heard of this issue and suggested an air freshener. I kinda pushed a little more and he said he would look and see what he could find. While I didn’t expect a fix, I was hoping for a little more care and that this would at least get documented at the dealer level to get a little more traction.

In the mean time, I was able to take out all the headrests except for the back two last night. Car still smelled this morning, but I am not sure if that is because of the back two headrests or if the smell is coming from elsewhere. I left the other headrests inside the house. They don’t really smell unless I put my nose right up to them. I’m not sure if that’s because they have been sitting in AC all night and in a more open space, or if they aren’t a main source of the problem.

I read through this entire thread last night. Based on some earlier recommendations, I ordered the auto shocker product. I also got a Meguiar’s car air-refresher (I think someone else tried this). I’m hesitant to take apart the headrests and soak/clean them because A.) I am not sure that’s the only issue B.) I am concerned I won’t get them back together again and C.) I wouldn’t want Hyundai refusing to fix the issue if/when a fix is found because they say I did something by taking things apart.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
16 Posts
Stick a headrest in a sealed plastic bag for a few of hours and then take whiff from the bag. Mine didn’t smell much when I pulled them but the smell was super concentrated after sitting in a bag. When I took off the covers I put a cover in one bag and the rest of the headrest in another and only the bag with the cover had the smell.

I do think you need to get all the headrests out. If you can leave the windows and/or sunroof open a little that will help it dissipate as well. Seems like the smell is released very slowly and it needs to build up in enclosed area before it gets bad.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I put all 7 headrests in my Yeti 65 cooler with the Auto Shocker Order Eliminator for 24 hours and shut it up tight. The difference, so far, is remarkable. I can now squeeze the headrests and they smell nice. They were awful before. Now, the big question is will it last? I live in Florida and it's still hot so I'd think if anyone is gonna have an ongoing problem, it's those of us down here. I'll report back in a week or so with the results.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I contacted the dealership where I purchased my palisade. Here is what they suggested to rid of the smell. I haven’t tried it yet. First remove headrests, second open leather cover (does not remove completely), spray UNscented Febreeze odor remover and rub in foam until foam pad is soaked in febreeze, also spray on fabric, finally close the headrests and park car in hot sun and turn on heater and let it run on high in front and back for 2 hours. Again I just got this information today. Haven’t tried.
Shouldn't the service department at the dealership do this instead of the customer?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Shouldn't the service department at the dealership do this instead of the customer?
Round 2, all of my headrests are back with my dealer, they said they got some direction on how to fix the problem from Hyundai so they are trying that. They have had them since last Thursday. I have been driving my Palisade without headrests and there is no smell. I did send a e-mail to the editor of Cars but did not head back from them. As for the Lemon Law(Iowa) only come into play if it a safety factor, that is the way I read it. I will let all know how Round 2 come out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
FYI I called and submitted a case to Hyundai Corporate last night. No fix at this time, as was expected. Called the service department of the dealer I bought it from. He said he hadn’t heard of this issue and suggested an air freshener. I kinda pushed a little more and he said he would look and see what he could find. While I didn’t expect a fix, I was hoping for a little more care and that this would at least get documented at the dealer level to get a little more traction.

In the mean time, I was able to take out all the headrests except for the back two last night. Car still smelled this morning, but I am not sure if that is because of the back two headrests or if the smell is coming from elsewhere. I left the other headrests inside the house. They don’t really smell unless I put my nose right up to them. I’m not sure if that’s because they have been sitting in AC all night and in a more open space, or if they aren’t a main source of the problem.

I read through this entire thread last night. Based on some earlier recommendations, I ordered the auto shocker product. I also got a Meguiar’s car air-refresher (I think someone else tried this). I’m hesitant to take apart the headrests and soak/clean them because A.) I am not sure that’s the only issue B.) I am concerned I won’t get them back together again and C.) I wouldn’t want Hyundai refusing to fix the issue if/when a fix is found because they say I did something by taking things apart.
The auto shocker doesn't work. It will "work" for 3-4 weeks, and by "work" I mean your car will smell like chlorine for that period of time instead of garlic. Depending on how much you drive it might be even less. I drive very very little these days. I'm in Atlanta so it's hot and humid, and the vehicle stays in the garage most of the time. F Hyundai. Replace all of the seats already. I'm sick and tired of driving in a nasty smelly car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For what it is worth here is what we have done and to answer the "what do I do". questions I see posted. Our vehicle is the 2020 with beige and the garlic smell was horrendous. Like, make my whole d$nm garage smell like garlic horrendous. WTH, who would have ever thought this would be a problem on brand new vehicle.

Our particular dealership has been less than helpful, hopefully others are not so much. Ours claimed they have never heard of this problem. Whatever.
Hyundai customer service has also been less than helpful. "we are investigating, here is your case number"...

We went and bought a P&S Odor Doc from a local store, $22. Followed the directions to a T, and activated in the vehicle for 1+30 hrs. The atrocious smell is gone! It had the smell of a pool for a few days, but it is a heck of a lot better than the other smells.

So far, so good. I will update as necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My vehicle has been in the dealership now 6 total days. They are working though a ten step process. Nothing has worked as of yet. It will be interesting to see how this is going to end.

·
Registered
16 Posts
[
For what it is worth here is what we have done and to answer the "what do I do". questions I see posted. Our vehicle is the 2020 with beige and the garlic smell was horrendous. Like, make my whole d$nm garage smell like garlic horrendous. WTH, who would have ever thought this would be a problem on brand new vehicle.

Our particular dealership has been less than helpful, hopefully others are not so much. Ours claimed they have never heard of this problem. Whatever.
Hyundai customer service has also been less than helpful. "we are investigating, here is your case number"...

We went and bought a P&S Odor Doc from a local store, $22. Followed the directions to a T, and activated in the vehicle for 1+30 hrs. The atrocious smell is gone! It had the smell of a pool for a few days, but it is a heck of a lot better than the other smells.

So far, so good. I will update as necessary.
Without a doubt, the smell will come back in about a month.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[

Without a doubt, the smell will come back in about a month.
Agree, smell will come back. I wrapped all headrests in plastic recently, but still no improvement.
Don't know what else can be done... where is Hyundai? I hope cars.com guys will follow up with them.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I tried the Mequires. It was a nice overpowering smell, but the smell came back. The chlorine dioxide treatments, yes 2 of them, helped with the problem. The second treatment I put the headrests into a large trash bag and sealed it. It has been a month or so and the smell is faint again at times. I did contact my dealer and let them know about the problem and called corporate. I will wait to see what they come up with. If the smell get worse I'll hit it with another treatment and use a sealed container to put them in.

·
Registered
508 Posts
For amazon prime day I decided to buy the two pack of chemical guys new car smell and leather smell.
I just tried the new car smell and it is platsticy smelling. It’s not bad, and if I didn’t know I sprayed it in there I might mistaken it for a new car smell. Hahah

Not that it will cure garlic odor, but I just thought I’d add it here instead of start a new thread reviewing the product. I’ll try to leather smell in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
475 Posts
I use wonder wafers you can get them from Amazon and many choices of sent myself i use new car sent and you just put them under the seat.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Does it smell like a new car? I’ve smelled some that claim to be “new car” and it’s nothing close! More like vanilla or saddle soap to me. Haha

This chemical guys one is the closest I’ve had to a new car scent.

461 - 480 of 494 Posts