Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

441 - 460 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would like to know if the "stink" problem is just with the limited ed. or have other trims had similar problem?? Cruz

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here’s a thought...Hyundai and Kia are supposedly sister companies. I’ve seen no posts on Kia’s forums regarding abnormal smells from the interior of the Telluride models with leather. I would think that it would be wise to compare where each company acquires the materials for their leather interiors. Might be a good place to start figuring this mess out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here’s a thought...Hyundai and Kia are supposedly sister companies. I’ve seen no posts on Kia’s forums regarding abnormal smells from the interior of the Telluride models with leather. I would think that it would be wise to compare where each company acquires the materials for their leather interiors. Might be a good place to start figuring this mess out.
OK, folks, had my 2020 Palisade at the dealer for five days, got it back today, they treated it with Fabreze and it DID NO GOOD!
Still smells bad. They were told by Hyundai to order something else and treat it again, but that will take a couple of weeks for it to get here from Canada. So I am driving around with no headrests in the car, great view but I hope I do not get in a accident and would need them. The story goes on!

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That doesn't mean they use the same suppliers. In fact, it's highly unlikely since the Palisade is built in South Korea and the Telluride is built in the US. Plus, we know that the Telluride offers different interior seat colors from the Palisade.

Also, if it's truly only coming from the head rests, they're vinyl, not leather, as has been reported a few times in this thread. Only seating surfaces are leather.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
16 Posts
OK, folks, had my 2020 Palisade at the dealer for five days, got it back today, they treated it with Fabreze and it DID NO GOOD!
Still smells bad. They were told by Hyundai to order something else and treat it again, but that will take a couple of weeks for it to get here from Canada. So I am driving around with no headrests in the car, great view but I hope I do not get in a accident and would need them. The story goes on!
Do you know if they removed the headrest covers to treat them or if they just sprayed Febreze into the holes? I don't think spraying through the holes could ever be effective, even if whatever they spray actually neutralizes the smell. It just wouldn't get to the back side of the cover that way.

I've taken the covers off my front headrests and within a few hours the headrest itself smelled fine. I've re-installed them and the interior continues to smell fine (all other head rests have been removed). The covers continue to smell, but I've had them sitting, turned inside-out and covered in baking soda for a couple of days and they seem to be doing much better. I'm going to seal them in a bag and then see if any odor builds up again. That will be the real test.

Also, driving around without headrests is a really bad idea. Would you drive around without a seat belt to avoid a smell? The headrest, or head restraint as they are referred to by the manufacturers, is what keeps you from breaking your neck in a crash.

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
Palisade doesn't always use the same supplier for all head rests.
That may be why some have a bad smell and some don't.
I have a Beige interior and there is no bad smell so far, knock on wood.

·
Registered
508 Posts
there is the occasional hot day where I open the car door and think I can detect a hint of garlic, but it quickly dissipates. I've only noticed this in the past two weeks and I think I only noticed it because I'm conscious of this problem experienced by several owners.

I have the black nappa. I mostly smell leather and wish the leather was more fragrant. When/if there is a slight garlic odor it disappears quickly for me so I am lucky in that regard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealership took all my headrests and removed the covers and treated the material using a recommended solution from Hyundai. It took about three weeks and I just got the treated headrests re-installed in my car yesterday and unfortunately the smell is still there if not worse! The dealership agrees and understands that this is not a true fix and that Hyundai is working on the issue but no permanent solution as of yet. During this process my dealership provided head-rests from a new vehicle because they knew it was not safe to drive without them. Those head-rests seemed to fine the first week but then started emitting the same odor. It's so odd that you definitely pick up the odor if you sniff right where the rods go into the headrests. I've had a case number assigned with Hyundai for a couple of months so I'm really hoping they come up with a solution soon. My dealership has done a great job trying to address this problem (which they have many complaints from other customers) but nothing yet. So bummed that I have to deal with this on a new car! I appreciate the updates on this forum as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I agree that the interior smell of the car is not the typical new car smell but in my case it is not unpleasant. I also have the black interior.
I have the black interior and it reeks! Gives me a headache when I first get into it and have to smell it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you have the interior protection added?
funny that the limited's on that dealers lot smell.
I looked at several on dealer lots and found no smell
Car just arriving had no smell but ones setting on lot did
I got the interior protection and they told me they dont deal with the leather smelling bad, it has to be an actual issue like a smell from spilling something or lipstick stains not the leather itself

·
Registered
6 Posts
While I wait for the auto shocker I ordered to arrive, I filed a claim and took it to the dealer as requested. Technician immediately acknowledged the odor. They have ordered an odor neutralizer and sealant, which should be in next week. Will update once I have it done...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I removed my headrests and smell stops, I am going to the dealer today to have the 3rd seat headrests removed and have them order new ones. I placed each one in a plastic bag and sealed it up and placed all of them in a plastic bin. At this point unknown if there are other areas within the SUV that also smells but will find out, it is a start. To bad Hyundai couldn't figure this out.
I removed all my headrests a month ago and my vehicle smells fine now and actually smells like leather. New headrests were ordered by the dealership but they had an odor when they arrived. Now I am stuck with a vehicle that I cannot drive.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
235 Posts
I removed all my headrests a month ago and my vehicle smells fine now and actually smells like leather. New headrests were ordered by the dealership but they had an odor when they arrived. Now I am stuck with a vehicle that I cannot drive.
Why can't you drive it? Take the headrests out again. If you are concerned about driving without headrests, see if the dealer will get you non leather headrests until Hyundai gets it all figured out.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Good idea Popeye. Or leave it with the dealer and work towards your lemon law requirements if that’s the route you ultimately want to take.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Does anyone know the TSB # for this issue? Looks like I have the issue on my two week old Palisade. Was hoping to have a number to reference so I don’t get any kind of runaround when I call the dealer tomorrow. I’ve seen some suggested fixes on here that involve removing the headrest covers and soaking them. If I’m reading this right, it doesn’t look like these are long term fixes. Is that correct? Kind of wary of taking the headrests a part, especially since it doesn’t seem to actually resolve the issue.

I wouldn’t even be opposed to just paying for aftermarket headrests to not have to deal with the headache, but sounds like some people aren’t convinced it’s just the headrests causing the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Also any videos on removing the third row headrests? I’ve seen some pics but doesn’t give me a clear picture of what I need to do

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
16 Posts
For me there's been no hint of the smell since removing all the headrests . I smelled all the headrests on the car right before I bought it and smelled nothing. Then after about a week I smelled it very faintly getting into the car. I checked the headrests again and could smell it coming from them so I removed them all. I then pulled the covers on the driver and passenger seats and put the uncovered headrests back in the car. Been like that for over a week and now all I smell in the car is a faint leather smell.

I've had the head rest covers turned inside out and covered in baking soda since pulling them over a week ago. The smell has faded significantly, but is still there. Now I don't notice it when I smell them in the open air, but if I put them in a plastic bag for a couple of hours the smell is still apparent. Initially I could smell it in the open air and a couple of hours in a bag made it awful. Maybe they will eventually air out with enough time and baking soda.

I'm going to contact the dealer, Hyundai corporate and email [email protected] as they ask for people with the issue to respond at the end of their article on the issue https://www.cars.com/articles/csi-car-smell-investigation-2020-hyundai-palisade-edition-no-2-426728/. Not holding my breathe for them to fix it though.

As for removing the 3rd head rests, the pic earlier in this thread shows where to push.
There's a button underneath the covering. The button doesn't depress very far and you have to really pull and wiggle the headrest to get it out. You can tell you are hitting the button because anywhere else on the head rest is squishy.

441 - 460 of 494 Posts