Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

401 - 413 of 413 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I removed my headrests and smell stops, I am going to the dealer today to have the 3rd seat headrests removed and have them order new ones. I placed each one in a plastic bag and sealed it up and placed all of them in a plastic bin. At this point unknown if there are other areas within the SUV that also smells but will find out, it is a start. To bad Hyundai couldn't figure this out.

·
Registered
451 Posts
At least one owner had a dealer order them headrests so it had been suspected of being the source. Not sure if that was the independent dealer determination or corporate advised. No public announcement though and no TSB that anyone knows of yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I removed my headrests and smell stops, I am going to the dealer today to have the 3rd seat headrests removed and have them order new ones. I placed each one in a plastic bag and sealed it up and placed all of them in a plastic bin. At this point unknown if there are other areas within the SUV that also smells but will find out, it is a start. To bad Hyundai couldn't figure this out.
I strongly think that second row headrests are the cause of the smell.
It is strongly recommended that you remove the second row headrests and put it in a plastic bag for several weeks.
The smell probably won't go away any time soon. It need time. (maybe 1week,2week,or 1month)

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is all of them, I put all of the headrests in their own bags and each one smelled bad. I have a appointment on the 22nd to take it in, I really do not think they know what to do either but it is a start to fix it......bottom line, they need to replace all of them, with them out of the SUV, I can drive it now! From what the dealer is saying, they are not getting much direction from Hyundai about the problem,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have the interior protection added?
funny that the limited's on that dealers lot smell.
I looked at several on dealer lots and found no smell
Car just arriving had no smell but ones setting on lot did
i didn’t have the interior protection added. The car smelled when we picked it up from the dealer which we thought a good airing out would get rid of. However, now that the weather is cooling, it seems to be getting worse. I have to open the door and let the car air out before getting in it. My eyes tear, and I have to keep two windows opened to keep the air flowing. i have started a case with Hyundai. It is a REAL problem.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Took the second row headrests out a couple of days ago and it made a big difference. Smell isn’t totally gone but notably improved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i didn’t have the interior protection added. The car smelled when we picked it up from the dealer which we thought a good airing out would get rid of. However, now that the weather is cooling, it seems to be getting worse. I have to open the door and let the car air out before getting in it. My eyes tear, and I have to keep two windows opened to keep the air flowing. i have started a case with Hyundai. It is a REAL problem.
McClendons(407th) said "Took the second row headrests out a couple of days ago and it made a big difference. Smell isn’t totally gone but notably improved."
Please try this.
And call your dealer to change your headrests.

I strongly think that second row headrests are the cause of the smell.
It is strongly recommended that you remove the second row headrests and put it in a plastic bag for several weeks.
The smell probably won't go away any time soon. It need time. (maybe 1week,2week,or 1month)

·
Registered
128 Posts
The smell is from ALL the head rests covers, not just the second row. If you remove the covers from the headrests you can easily tell that it is in the covers themselves. When they get wet, the smell intensifies and gets even worse. Just washing them alone will not remove the smell and really only makes it worse as I found out. So far, the best solution is to soak and or wash the headrest covers in OdoBan as it will totally kill the smell. For those of you not wanting to remove the headrest covers, I would recommend mixing up a solution of OdoBan and water in a 5 gallon bucket. Put 32oz of OB in 4 gallons of water and dunk the headrests in there for a few hours and then you will want to rinse them with clean water and then let the headrests dry outside or you could put them in the dryer on low heat if you have a shoe rack that came with your dryer. I think that alone will help mitigate the smell and make your Palisade smell fresh and clean in the process. You can also try the Chlorine Dioxide treatment called Auto Shocker.

The OdoBan can be found at most Home Depot's and the Auto Shocker can be found on Amazon. These two remedies together have been found to be pretty effective at destroying the smell and making your vehicle enjoyable to drive again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The smell is from ALL the head rests covers, not just the second row. If you remove the covers from the headrests you can easily tell that it is in the covers themselves. When they get wet, the smell intensifies and gets even worse. Just washing them alone will not remove the smell and really only makes it worse as I found out. So far, the best solution is to soak and or wash the headrest covers in OdoBan as it will totally kill the smell. For those of you not wanting to remove the headrest covers, I would recommend mixing up a solution of OdoBan and water in a 5 gallon bucket. Put 32oz of OB in 4 gallons of water and dunk the headrests in there for a few hours and then you will want to rinse them with clean water and then let the headrests dry outside or you could put them in the dryer on low heat if you have a shoe rack that came with your dryer. I think that alone will help mitigate the smell and make your Palisade smell fresh and clean in the process. You can also try the Chlorine Dioxide treatment called Auto Shocker.

The OdoBan can be found at most Home Depot's and the Auto Shocker can be found on Amazon. These two remedies together have been found to be pretty effective at destroying the smell and making your vehicle enjoyable to drive again.
I would like to add to mightyquinns info. The seats and headrest in the Limited have two types of upholstery. The part you sit on and rest your back on is leather. The sides of the seats and headrests are vinyl. Some of the vinyl has grey backing that develops a really funky garlic smell due to outgassing. It does not go away in a few months and I have no knowledge if it is noxious or not. Some of the vinyl that Hyundai is using does not develop this smell. That's why some Limiteds do not smell, some have a slight smell and some smell like bad pastrami. In my case, all of the headrests smelled bad. I removed the covers, washed them in OdoBan and rewashed them in Oxyclean. I also wipped down the structured foam on the headrest with hydrogen peroxide to remove the residual odor then air dried everything and reinstalled. This removed 90% of the smell in my Limited. But I still have some odor coming from the vinyl in the 3rd row seat. My other seats do not smell. Your source of odor will be different but is due to bad vinyl either in your seats, your headrests or both. My best advice is to isolate the smell by puffing air out of the headrest holes in the seats and doing the same at the rods on each headrest. If most of the odor is in your headrests, you can take them to an auto uphostery place and ask them to remove the covers for you. Do the wash and dry and return them to be recovered. If the odor is in your seats, your only option at this point is to use the Chlorine Dioxide treatment. Good luck to you all. This will be my last Hyundai.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I’m wondering why not simply do the chlorine dioxide “bomb” right up front rather than doing all the removing of headrest covers and multiple washings. It seems from the posts I’ve read in this thread that the people who have tried the chlorine dioxide have been quite successful.

My vehicle hasn’t come in yet but I queried with the dealership that has ordered it and they said they have never heard of the issue which I found surprising. I’m in Canada and I wonder if perhaps the vehicles that have been coming up here do not have the issue. Wishful thinking probably but I’m surprised if the dealership really hasn’t encountered it as they confirmed to me that they are selling a lot of the Limited models.

401 - 413 of 413 Posts