Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

361 - 380 of 420 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my Palisade Limited Trim with black interior in August 2020. Instead of having a new car smell, the interior has an unpleasant odor, the source of which I am unable to determine. I have checked for leaks, mold, etc. to no avail. I had initially attributed the odor to the fact that the car had only recently arrived in country and had been wrapped in protective covering during transport. However, it has now been months and the odor persists. Due to the weather and driving conditions since purchasing the Palisade, I have not had opportunities to give it a good airing out. Is anyone else experienced this unpleasant odor issue?
I purchased my Palisade in March 2020 with black interior and it has the unpleasant smell as well. I hear that Hyundai is looking into this, but I would like this solved soon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased my Palisade Limited Trim with black interior in August 2020. Instead of having a new car smell, the interior has an unpleasant odor, the source of which I am unable to determine. I have checked for leaks, mold, etc. to no avail. I had initially attributed the odor to the fact that the car had only recently arrived in country and had been wrapped in protective covering during transport. However, it has now been months and the odor persists. Due to the weather and driving conditions since purchasing the Palisade, I have not had opportunities to give it a good airing out. Is anyone else experienced this unpleasant odor issue?
I too purchased my Palisade in August of 2020, but mine has a white leather interior. The smell is out of this world bad!! I say Garlic with some bad onions combined!! I live in Arizona the heat gets above the 100's, when I forget to crack the windows, It can be intolerable for awhile.. I have to drive around for about 10 minutes with the windows down, before I can close them to enjoy the AC. I am going to buy those activated charcoal bags to see if that will help. I will let you know, as I hope we hear of some permanent remedy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I too purchased my Palisade in August of 2020, but mine has a white leather interior. The smell is out of this world bad!! I say Garlic with some bad onions combined!! I live in Arizona the heat gets above the 100's, when I forget to crack the windows, It can be intolerable for awhile.. I have to drive around for about 10 minutes with the windows down, before I can close them to enjoy the AC. I am going to buy those activated charcoal bags to see if that will help. I will let you know, as I hope we hear of some permanent remedy.
There is no white leather in a Palisade

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same but do have the odor 😠
Our Palisade began to smell one month after taking possession of the vehicle....it smells like bile/vomit. Ours has the black Nappa Leather interior....every article I have read keeps mentioning that it seems limited to the light colored interiors, definitely not the case. We sent it back to the dealer a week ago and no word yet on potential fixes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our Palisade began to smell one month after taking possession of the vehicle....it smells like bile/vomit. Ours has the black Nappa Leather interior....every article I have read keeps mentioning that it seems limited to the light colored interiors, definitely not the case. We sent it back to the dealer a week ago and no word yet on potential fixes.
I have to agree with the vomit smell because it makes my wife vomit. It also has black seats. Really don't know what to do with this Palisade. It smells so horrible no one would take it in on trade. By the way I done the chloride dioxide treatment twice and smells returns as soon as chlorine odor wears off. So don't believe these guys preaching it works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 3 day Lemon Ammonia experiment almost worked. I only used about a quart and that wasn't enough to treat the entire interior. So I got about a 90% reduction in smell. I should have used 2 quarts. To finish off the bad swell, I'm going to fill a medium sized rubbermaid Brilliance container 3/4 full and set it on the console arm rest with the lid off when ever I leave the vehicle parked. Then when I get in and want to use it, I'll just cap the container, roll down the windows to air it out and continue this until the ammonia wears out and the smell is completely gone. I am incredibly happy with the 90% reduction in odor and feel confident that over the next couple of weeks the smell will be completely gone!
It worked for a few days but the smell has come back. I just can't tell where is coming from. I'm carrying a container of lemon scented Ammonia in the car and leaving it open everytime I leave it parked hoping it will help. It does help the smell a little. I do hope they find a solution for it, I'm incredibly upset that I have to suffer with this horrible smell in a new car!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I’ve had my Limited for almost 10 months, and it STILL has that unpleasant odor, which I notice each time I enter the vehicle. I intend to leave the windows open when I park in the garage, to air it out, but I always forget. I suspect the problem is in the headrest as others have suggested, but rinsing those out is not a project I want to tackle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2020 Limited with beige interior and have noticed the smell. I have a portable ozonator that I use with my Cpap Machine. I have placed the ozonator in the vehicle and ran it for 4 30 minute cycles. It is helping with the smell. Just make sure you ventilate the car well before driving it again.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have to agree with the vomit smell because it makes my wife vomit. It also has black seats. Really don't know what to do with this Palisade. It smells so horrible no one would take it in on trade. By the way I done the chloride dioxide treatment twice and smells returns as soon as chlorine odor wears off. So don't believe these guys preaching it works.
I would tend to agree with you as I did start to have the smell come back just recently but it was no where near as bad as it was before. So this weekend I decided to try and kill the smell for once and for all. I removed all the headrest covers from all the seats and threw them in the washing machine with some baking soda and oxygen bleach. After the wash cycle was done, I pulled them out and sniffed them and the smell was 10X worse then when I put them in. So I washed them again with some Borax and Super Washing Soda and detergent and the smell was the same. At this point I was getting upset and defeated :) So I went to Home Depot and bought some OdoBan in the Eucalyptus scent since this was all they had, I didn't really want that scent but it turned out to smell pretty good actually. I did a quick wash with the OdoBan and I could still smell it so I filled a 5 gallon bucket up with water and added a quart (32oz) of OdoBan to it and let all the headrest covers soak overnight in the solution(about 4 gallons of water to 32oz of OB). The next morning, I washed the covers in the washing machine one final time as the smell was gone and just smell like OdoBan. I turned the covers inside out and proceeded to place all the covers on the 3rd row seat and put all the foam headrests inside too scattered around the floor in the back. I then placed the Auto Shocker on a 5 gallon bucket between the two 2nd row seats and activated it and shut and locked the doors for about 26 hours. I remotely started the vehicle twice with the AC in recirculation mode and the fan on full blast twice during that time.

Upon opening the doors after the treatment the vehicle has a mix of pool/Odor Ban smell and the pool smell isn't nearly as strong as it was the first time I used it. The headrest covers still smell like OdoBan and I could not detect any bad smells whatsoever. I reinstalled all the headrest covers and I can not detect any foul odor any longer but we will see how long this lasts for. I am keeping my fingers crossed once again as the last treatment seemed to last about 2 months but the smell was now where near as bad this time.

I think for people wanting to try this method but not wanting to remove the headrest covers, your best bet would be to soak the whole headrest in the solution I made above and then rinse it off and allow it to dry outside as I think you would get similar results. But I am 100% confident that the main part of the odor is in the headrest covers and anything left over is probably just residual.

I never realized how versatile of a product OdoBan is/was and it's definitely something I am going to keep around the house for any future issues I might have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I purchased my Palisade in March 2020 with black interior and it has the unpleasant smell as well. I hear that Hyundai is looking into this, but I would like this solved soon.
I am very disappointed, mine would only smell a little when you opened the doors and would go away pretty quick. Today it was raining outside and when I opened the doors after it was sitting in the garage all night the smell was nauseating. I had to leave the doors open a few minutes to let it air out before I could get in and drive it. Frustrated I now have to open a case with Hyundai too and it sounds like we will get no where with this process. I am in a 2021 Calligraphy with black interior so I don't think anyone is able to avoid it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear that. What makes me mad is that we raised the red flag to Hyundai prior they announced the new Calligraphy model, but looks like they swept our complains under the rug and moved forward with the new model without addressing the issue. Now it has been few weeks since the press articles, but still no update from Hyundai.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear that. What makes me mad is that we raised the red flag to Hyundai prior they announced the new Calligraphy model, but looks like they swept our complains under the rug and moved forward with the new model without addressing the issue. Now it has been few weeks since the press articles, but still no update from Hyundai.
I am very disappointed and now frustrated to say the least. I knew it was a possibility when buying it a month and half ago, but didn't think it would really be an issue. Now I will be screwed I am sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Black on Black. I have a new car smell and sure it isn't the same as another car I have had (it never is from manufacturer to manufacturer) but it is not unpleasant at all. Black on Black Limited 2020

·
Registered
9 Posts
Black on Black. I have a new car smell and sure it isn't the same as another car I have had (it never is from manufacturer to manufacturer) but it is not unpleasant at all. Black on Black Limited 2020
black on black for us too and that is how mine started and I ignored it, I thought it was the smell of the leather they used at first but after a month now it is getting stronger and smell is worse. :-(

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am very disappointed, mine would only smell a little when you opened the doors and would go away pretty quick. Today it was raining outside and when I opened the doors after it was sitting in the garage all night the smell was nauseating. I had to leave the doors open a few minutes to let it air out before I could get in and drive it. Frustrated I now have to open a case with Hyundai too and it sounds like we will get no where with this process. I am in a 2021 Calligraphy with black interior so I don't think anyone is able to avoid it.
The 2021 Hyundai Palisade - Now with Hyundai Complimentary
The 2021 Hyundai Palisade - Now with Hyundai Complimentary

You’re in luck. Every new 2021 Hyundai gets Hyundai Complimentary horrific Stinking sickening garlic odor.

361 - 380 of 420 Posts