Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

261 - 276 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Depends on how Hyundai Motors aggregates and data-mines customer service calls. DAM, data asset management, can run $1M+ fully loaded. This would including training people to enter customer concerns in a regimented format and training the system to create data cubes. Lots of good can be done when fully integrated back to boots in the ground associates and especially engineers. Hard to know how robust Hyundai Motors is on this front.
I don't believe them. With all the people on here saying they've called corp, they have heard about it many times I'm sure

·
Registered
47 Posts
So..... I’m not sure what to do.... do I buy one of the odor eliminators from Amazon? Do I park it at the dealership to have them smell it the next morning, only for them to tell me there isn’t a fix? Do I contact corporate and have them say they won’t do anything?
Between the smell and the wind noise I find myself hating getting in my brand new $50k car knowing it has these issues and I can’t do anything but I have to keep paying off the auto loan.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So..... I’m not sure what to do.... do I buy one of the odor eliminators from Amazon? Do I park it at the dealership to have them smell it the next morning, only for them to tell me there isn’t a fix? Do I contact corporate and have them say they won’t do anything?
Between the smell and the wind noise I find myself hating getting in my brand new $50k car knowing it has these issues and I can’t do anything but I have to keep paying off the auto loan.
For sure open a ticket with corp

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would go ahead and order the Odor Eliminator from Amazon and give that a shot, because worst case is that it reduces the smell and best case it totally eliminates it. If you are going to sit around and wait for Hyundai to do something, you are going to have to deal with that smell everyday while you wait. I can't really blame Hyundai for waiting to see how this plays out as it may not make financial sense to do so right now as the vehicle has only been out of a year now and they have only got a handful of complaints about the smell, so it may be very limited to how many vehicles are affected. I haven't done a count but I would say around 20 people here have complained about the smell. I'm not one to sit around and wait for someone else to do something that can be done myself at very little out of pocket expense to myself. My time is worth more than taking my vehicle into the dealership and dropping if off and waiting God knows how long for them to get back to me while I am out a vehicle on top of that. It's too easy to park your car in the garage, activate the odor bomb and shut the doors and go to bed and then wake up the next day and wait as long as you can and then air it out for a few hours and be done. I'm surprised no one else has tried what I have.

Other than the smell and the wind noise, I absolutely love the vehicle and I don't regret purchasing it at all. I am sure the wind noise can be fixed also as I have heard there is just some minor adjustments needed to be made on the door and for me the smell is pretty much gone since I set the Chlorine Dioxide Bomb off and I just need to reconfirm my findings once I get the time. Sorry for the rant and it's not directed at you but at everyone in general.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If it was me, I would do the chlorine dioxide treatment or an odorxit treatment. I am pleased with my Pali. It does have the scent but not to the degree others on here have. We went on a mini vacation through the Smokey Mountains this past week. Car handled great. Only once did my wife and kids say something about the smell. Then she said it goes away quickly so it is no big deal. I personally love the smell of chlorine, so am thinking of the chlorine dioxide treatment.

There was a ton of people in the Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg area. I can say I saw many people staring at my Pali.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chlorine dioxide helps, but we've done multiple other treatments as well, prior to that. Each treatment reduced the strenght of the smell a bit. So can't give all credit to chlorine dioxide. Here is what we have tried through past several months.
First we steam cleaned the seats with Bissell steam cleaner. Steam coming out of the seats smelled really bad and you could tell that it was working. Had to run two fans in the garage to get rid of the bad air. But smell returned after few days. Then I read about heat and sun, so started leaving the car outside under the sun with open windows. Bought charcoal bamboo air purifier bags, sprayed fabreeze and etc... Unfortunately smell kept coming back and I started losing hope. I've been trying to find a solution myself, since there was no hope from Hyundai, despite addressing it several times. Later heard about headrests and that's where the rest of the smell was hiding. Removed headrests, opened up the bottom clips and left under the sun for couple of days. That really helped, but still there was little bit of smell when you opened the door the first time, which would go away quick. At this point, someone posted about chlorine dioxide, so I ordered, used it and this thing really ended the struggle. I unclipped the headrest covers and rolled the covers a bit, so chlorine dioxide could penetrate inside and left it for 24 hours. Now we have little chlorine smell, but it is way better than amonia/garlic smell and it is fading away. I really hope this is it, since this was long struggle. We love the car and it's features, but smell wasn't letting us enjoy it. Thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their diy tips and findings. Unfortunately Hyundai failed when it comes to addressing and helping us with this issue. We didn't have to go through this, after buying a 50k car. Good luck to everyone!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I still think the Chlorine Dioxide will give you the most bang for your buck and time. It's fairly easy to use and doesn't really require anything else except the time window to let it work. I think if I had to do it all over again I would have done that first before anything else. I think one step you could add to the whole process is removing all the headrest covers and turning them inside out and setting them in the vehicle with the ClO2 just to give you a little extra help but not sure if that is really needed. @RJ999 glad to hear everything worked out for you and you are able to give a bit of hope to others on this forum. I admit that the vehicle is much more enjoyable now that the smell is gone and I don't have to grimace every time I get in the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I still think the Chlorine Dioxide will give you the most bang for your buck and time. It's fairly easy to use and doesn't really require anything else except the time window to let it work. I think if I had to do it all over again I would have done that first before anything else. I think one step you could add to the whole process is removing all the headrest covers and turning them inside out and setting them in the vehicle with the ClO2 just to give you a little extra help but not sure if that is really needed. @RJ999 glad to hear everything worked out for you and you are able to give a bit of hope to others on this forum. I admit that the vehicle is much more enjoyable now that the smell is gone and I don't have to grimace every time I get in the vehicle.
I totally agree, start with chlorine dioxide car treatment. It is cheap and very easy to do. I just wanted to be fair, since in my case each process helped a bit. Thank you all!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just to give another update, I left my Palisade in the 90 degree sun and heat for about 5 hours yesterday and went to get in it to pull it in the garage and didn't notice any of the garlic or bad smell at all. As far as I am concerned at this point, the problem is fixed and I no longer cringe at getting in the car and can actually enjoy it now. The Chlorine Dioxide bomb seemed to have done the trick and it's been about 3 weeks now since I used it. It was cheap and simple to use and the chlorine smell went away after about a week to week and a half.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks Quinn. I was as Lowes yesterday and they had Meguiars car bomb for 7 bucks. I decided to try it. Sat. night we went out to dinner and my wife got in and said, "Wow! It stinks in here.". So far it just smells like the bomb. We will see if it stands the test of time. If it doesnt work I'll grab the chlorine dioxide.

Smell still doesnt bother me much.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I bought the charcoal bags and placed 4 of the big ones at each headrest.. My wife asks me what I am doing and I tell her about the pungent garlic smell. She said that she has not smelled anything of the sort. I will see in a few days to see how the charcoal bags fare.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Everyone has a different sensitivity around noise, smells. My wife’s sense of smell is incredible. Makes her an excellent chef. This would drive her completely nuts. Hoping this is just isolated to a bad batch of headrests.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I have to agree with what is said above. My wife never really smelled it and never thought it smelled bad but my son could smell it so it is very subjective on who can smell this and probably how strong it is.

261 - 276 of 276 Posts