Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

241 - 260 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I would try some odorxit or a chlorine dioxide treatment. If odorxit can get rid of skunk spray on my dogs it can get rid of anything. I always have a bottle on hand. Not sure if it would harm leather though.

My family likes the smell.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
116 Posts
Could this be off-gassing? VOCs

Has anyone who owned a new car for 6 months or more still smell anything?

Does the smell persist when the AC is on?

Mine is less than a month. There is a "new car" smell but nothing remotely close to smelling like a dead animal, dirty socks or anything of that nature. Also when the AC is on the new car smell is not noticeable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ok, I’m really curious now! Is anyone in the Bay Area peninsula area so I could smell this for myself??
Just make sure to let the car sit under the sun with closed windows for a while, that's when the smell is strong. You have to let ofgasing to build up inside the salon. Unfortunately I am on the east coast, otherwise I'd happily volunteer :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm the Santa Fe owner with this problem. Can I ask if anyone removed their headrests from the vehicle and put them in a plastic trash bag for a few days? If it really is the headrests, then the smell in the car would go away and when you opened the plastic bag, you'd be knocked over by the odor. Just curious because I tried this with all my floor and cargo mats--didn't make any difference, and didn't smell in the plastic bag they lived in for a week.
I removed all six headrests today and will leave the car out under the sun again tomorrow. We'll see if the smell builds up again. Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
307 Posts
When I bought a fiberglass bodied car with a bonded (glued) chassis years ago, for a few weeks the smell of resin was pretty overwhelming, but as with most smells it dissipated.

These stories of garlic or rotten eggs or gym sock smell that won't dissipate is really bizarre. Tesla would tell you that the smell is "within specs" and send you on your way.

In all seriousness, I am following this thread in hopes that Hyundai figures out what causes your smells and offers up a fix. It looks like at least one owner has fixed his problem by attacking the headrests, but others are not finding the headrests to be the culprit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I removed all six headrests today and will leave the car out under the sun again tomorrow. We'll see if the smell builds up again. Will keep you posted.
Unfortunately the smell/odor still building up inside after even removing headrests, so my conclusion: it is not just the headrests that are off-gassing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’ve been reading through a couple of Palisade forums about this problem. Has anyone thought it could also be the glue/adhesive they used on the headliner? Just trying to offer suggestions.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I figured I would give an update to the smell in my car after I gave it a Chlorine Dioxide treatment. The majority of the "pool" smell has subsided and I can't really smell any garlic smell anymore. It seems to smell like a new car again with a hint of "pool". I am going to try and leave it out in the sun this weekend and see if I can get any of the old garlic smell to come through. I think worst case scenario at this time is "if" the garlic smell comes back it will be VERY light at best and if that is the case I will probable just hit it again with another Chlorine Dioxide bomb. I still want to say I can barely smell it but it could also be all in my head and be psychosomatic as I want to smell it. I will try and give an update later this weekend when I can have the car sitting in the sun.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well lucky for me I finally got someone at the dealership who could smell it. I left it parked overnight in their lot and had the service manager get in and he immediately said I smell it. He will forward his findings to my case manager (Christina, not very friendly) at corp. Still don't expect any help from them after reading more on this forum.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm the Santa Fe owner with this problem. Can I ask if anyone removed their headrests from the vehicle and put them in a plastic trash bag for a few days? If it really is the headrests, then the smell in the car would go away and when you opened the plastic bag, you'd be knocked over by the odor. Just curious because I tried this with all my floor and cargo mats--didn't make any difference, and didn't smell in the plastic bag they lived in for a week.
I couldn't remove the covers from the headrests, but was able to unclip the clips. Opened up the covers a bit and left them under the sun for couple of days. Car was also under the sun with open windows every day pretty much.
This sped up off-gassing process and now the smell is noticably less inside the car. Ordered chlorine-dioxide for cars and hope that will remove the remaining smell. Heat and sun seems to be effective. Can't wait to be done with this smell and finally enjoy the purchase :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I couldn't remove the covers from the headrests, but was able to unclip the clips. Opened up the covers a bit and left them under the sun for couple of days. Car was also under the sun with open windows every day pretty much.
This sped up off-gassing process and now the smell is noticably less inside the car. Ordered chlorine-dioxide for cars and hope that will remove the remaining smell. Heat and sun seems to be effective. Can't wait to be done with this smell and finally enjoy the purchase :)
I can't remove mine either. They are tight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem in my light interior limited purchased in May 2020, but I would call it a chemical buildup odor, not garlic or dirty socks. Really rancid and toxic smelling when the car is closed for a bit. After reading all of this, I may have found the culprit inside the recepticals for the third row head rests. It doesn’t appear to be in the other rows or in the headrests themselves. At least maybe I can now point the dealer to it. It’s so disappointing to have toxic chemical smell instead of new car smell. It’s hard to tell in 250+ posts if anyone isolated it to that spot and what to do about it. I’m not too excited about the chlorine bomb. I really want the new car smell in my $50k car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Same problem in my light interior limited purchased in May 2020, but I would call it a chemical buildup odor, not garlic or dirty socks. Really rancid and toxic smelling when the car is closed for a bit. After reading all of this, I may have found the culprit inside the recepticals for the third row head rests. It doesn’t appear to be in the other rows or in the headrests themselves. At least maybe I can now point the dealer to it. It’s so disappointing to have toxic chemical smell instead of new car smell. It’s hard to tell in 250+ posts if anyone isolated it to that spot and what to do about it. I’m not too excited about the chlorine bomb. I really want the new car smell in my $50k car.
It's in all 3 rows of mine. I met a guy who had it as well and he's had his for close to a year. He used McQuire's air freshner bombs. But he said the smell goes away eventually.

·
Registered
84 Posts
This was my initial fear also but I would rather not smell the bad smell anymore and usually by now I no longer smell "New Car" anyway. BTW, I wasn't able to park the car in the sun for too long this weekend so that little experiment may have to wait. I did have it in the sun for about an hour or so while I ran some errands this weekend but I never smelled the garlic smell.

·
Registered
63 Posts
This was my initial fear also but I would rather not smell the bad smell anymore and usually by now I no longer smell "New Car" anyway. BTW, I wasn't able to park the car in the sun for too long this weekend so that little experiment may have to wait. I did have it in the sun for about an hour or so while I ran some errands this weekend but I never smelled the garlic smell.
Oh i smelt it all day Saturday. I ran errands and everytime I got back in the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is another update. After a few days of reinstalling the headrest we have no smell whatsoever. :)

The key was to wash all of the headrest covers in odoban and then a second wash with tide and oxyclean.

When I installed the covers back on, I sprayed them down with another coat of odoban.

Its so nice getting into the car now and not having that nasty smell.....
Are these leathers covers? Are you washing them inside & out by hand?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Somebody mentioned they are NOT leather covers and are vinyl but either way, if you remove them, throw them in the washing machine and wash them with some kind of odor remover and then let them dry outside in the sun and then give them a sniff test to ensure the odor is gone, if not rewash them again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Somebody mentioned they are NOT leather covers and are vinyl but either way, if you remove them, throw them in the washing machine and wash them with some kind of odor remover and then let them dry outside in the sun and then give them a sniff test to ensure the odor is gone, if not rewash them again.
I've tried and I can't get mine off

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had my Ultimate Palisade since January 2020 and keeping thinking that the unpleasant odour in it will just disappear, but no such luck. Contacted Hyundai Canada and they have said that they haven’t received any complaints about smells in the cars. They won’t do anything until enough people complain. I encourage you to contact the company, not just your dealership to put in a complaint.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have had my Ultimate Palisade since January 2020 and keeping thinking that the unpleasant odour in it will just disappear, but no such luck. Contacted Hyundai Canada and they have said that they haven’t received any complaints about smells in the cars. They won’t do anything until enough people complain. I encourage you to contact the company, not just your dealership to put in a complaint.
I don't believe them. With all the people on here saying they've called corp, they have heard about it many times I'm sure

241 - 260 of 280 Posts