Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Unpleasant Interior Odor

203K views 688 replies 156 participants last post by  jim747 
if you smell an unpleasant smell its not just you and it isnt anything you have in the car. I bought a Limited Palisade with black interior in October 19. To put it in the words of the Hyundai technician “it smells like old worn socks”. The smell takes your breath away when you first open the door and i have a poor sense of smell. I met a woman with a Limited Palisade with light interior and when I mentioned this her eyes got big and threw her hands up in the air. She told me she purchased the first one the lot sold in July 2019 and had been thinking it was something she had in the car all along. She had been trying for 8 months at this point to get the smell out, but could not.
My wife opened a ticket with Hyundai’s corporate office after taking it to the dealership twice where they order bombed it and vacuumed it to no avail. The techs told my wife they could smell what she was talking about. When corporate(Coyle) called me to tell me they were closing the ticket because (Sam) the service director said it smelled like new car smell i had them hold open the ticket. I called Sam and told him i would see him tomorrow so he could fix his error after we determine he never smelled my wife’s car. Sam opened the door in front of me and pulled back out and acknowledged that was definitely NOT a new car smell. We went back in and I had Sam call Coyle to confirm this, but of course Coyle didnt pick up. Sam and I both left voicemails, Coyle didn't call me back. Sam said he was contacting his director who would advise what they would do about this and would call me back. Sam didn't call me back either. I got home from work today and my wife tells me corporate called her and told her they were not going to do anything to fix the old sock smell in our $50,000 Hyundai and that she could take it up with the BBB. I heard Hyundai didn't have great service before, but seriously?
HYMTF Hyundai Motors stock ticker.
Americans buy a product &/or service, we DEMAND the manufacturers & sellers of those products &/or services to provide acceptable solutions (determined by the purchaser) to problems.

I am a first-time buyer of an HYMTF product and expect every problem & concern to be remedied, similarly as we Americans demand from OTHER Corporations doing business in America.

Can someone describe the smell? I don’t know if this is Hyundai new car smell or this odor. It’s kinda bad when we get in. It hasn’t been hot here so not sure if it gets worse?
I've noticed it a few times. Smells like a dead Skunk.
Since my purchase, a few months now, the ODOR seems prominant during WET periods. Assumed 1st from headrests BUT now I believe it to be from Rubber type connections under the hood near the driver's side tire area.
Interior smell perhaps due to ventilation circulation of the ODOR.
My 2¢.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.