Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 2020 Palisade Limited suddenly stalled in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately it was late at night and I was able to coast it to the shoulder without getting into a collision. The problem continued at every intersection. At the 3rd intersection stall the engine service warning came on "A possible condition with your Engine Control System has been detected. A full system check is recommended to be done when convenient. Please contact your local dealership to schedule an appointment." Since this was a dangerous situation, I took it immediately to the nearest dealer, rather than waiting. Service dealer advised car needs a new engine!! We have had no other warnings or issues prior to this! Service dealer is waiting to get confirmation from corporate if this is a covered warrantee claim. So far it has been a week and no decision has been made.... we were advised corporate has asked for additional testing and it will likely be anther week before a determination will be made. We were also advised due to supply issues, replacing the engine may take 1-2 months! Hoping this is covered under warrantee and Hyundai will give us a loaner car in the meantime. We need a car - car rental is costing over $100 a day!!

Anyone else have engine issues? Service dealer indicated there may be an issue with Palisade engines and mentioned they have 2 other Palisades there also needing engine repairs.

·
Administrator
2,571 Posts
Sounds like there is a problem with the engine control system.
Usually with a bad engine there is black/blue or white smoke coming from the exhaust
Sometimes an engine will burn way to much oil but usually seizes up and will not restart
You might want to take it to a different dealership and have it checked, doesn't sound like their
service personnel knows what they are doing.
Great way for dealer to pad their profits
Then again it could be the engine.
Have you reported this to the customer service line and got a ticket # ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our 2020 Palisade Limited suddenly stalled in the middle of an intersection. Fortunately it was late at night and I was able to coast it to the shoulder without getting into a collision. The problem continued at every intersection. At the 3rd intersection stall the engine service warning came on "A possible condition with your Engine Control System has been detected. A full system check is recommended to be done when convenient. Please contact your local dealership to schedule an appointment." Since this was a dangerous situation, I took it immediately to the nearest dealer, rather than waiting. Service dealer advised car needs a new engine!! We have had no other warnings or issues prior to this! Service dealer is waiting to get confirmation from corporate if this is a covered warrantee claim. So far it has been a week and no decision has been made.... we were advised corporate has asked for additional testing and it will likely be anther week before a determination will be made. We were also advised due to supply issues, replacing the engine may take 1-2 months! Hoping this is covered under warrantee and Hyundai will give us a loaner car in the meantime. We need a car - car rental is costing over $100 a day!!

Anyone else have engine issues? Service dealer indicated there may be an issue with Palisade engines and mentioned they have 2 other Palisades there also needing engine repairs.
I just got this message yesterday on our 2020 Palisade Limited. Calling dealership tomorrow. Hopefully it doesn't need an engine. Haven't noticed any engine issues at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately we were 400 miles from home when it happened. We had to rent a car to get home. I did not notice any smoke. The dealership has been speaking with corporate. Do you suggest we call corporate ourselves?

·
Administrator
2,571 Posts
Unfortunately we were 400 miles from home when it happened. We had to rent a car to get home. I did not notice any smoke. The dealership has been speaking with corporate. Do you suggest we call corporate ourselves?
YES
Call the customer service number in the manual and get a ticket number.
Ask them for reimbursement for trip interruption and cost of rental car
You can also put in a request for a loaner, they will probably tell you to talk to dealership

·
Registered
2020 Palisades
20 Posts

I had this happen to my 2020 Palisades, with only 20,000 miles, in late March. I was 3 hours from home and had it towed to a nearby dealership. I had to rent a car to get home and return a week later to bring the Palisades home. The dealership had to replace a PCV value and add 4 quarts of oil. They inspected the engine for damages and told me I would need to get 2 oil consumption tests at 1,000 miles. I am scheduled for my second test this week. I opened an account with Hyundai Corp to get reimbursement for the car rental and they reimbursed me for only half the cost. The rest of the repairs have been covered under warranty. This is not an uncommon problem with some of the Hyundai engines. I will find out this week if I have to have the engine replaced. Not only has this been a real inconvenience , but I am very disappointed because I real like this vehicle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get to also know your lemon law guidelines. I took Hyundai through that in 1998 when my engine shot a rod and the dealer was crap in Dothan, AL. I sent a letter to the head of Hyundai USA and they instantly settled. Never hurts to write out the problems, find out the email addresses of the top US people and send it to them. Too many people settle for what they get. Never hurts to go up the chain. Worse they can say is no. Best is yes. I forced a company to repaint my entire house a few years ago by doing the same thing. Took about 2 hours to dig out their email addresses, but I had a call first thing the next morning. Have also done it twice with LoanDepot

·
Registered
1 Posts

No issues so far and I hope I don’t. I had an Audi Q5 with the same issue. Oil consumption and Audi done nothing. I have a 2020 Palisade with 27000 miles. I will not go through that crap again.

·
Registered
6 Posts

I recently purchased a 2022 Palisade Limited. As part of the negoiated package, they upgraded the warranty from the Drive Train 10 year 100,000 mile warranty to the entire vehicle at 0 deductible. It will be of great interest to see if they don't not honor the warranty. I did write down some info either from the Hyundai forum or other about a law firm that deals with Hyundai over the lemon laws. They said Hyundai either has to give you a new vehicle or refund your entire purchase price and Hyundai pays for all the legal expenses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bought the same 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty when we got our 2021 Limited. Biggest reason at the time was that my brother got in his 2013 Genisis to drive from FL to CT only to find out his smart cruise control didn't work. Took it to the same dealer we were buying our car from, and they quoted him $5,800 for just the module, plus labor - he was out of warranty. With all the computerized, techno electronics on these cars, a small repair can be thousands - plus they don't fix things anymore, just replace modules, etc.

Related to the engine issues, had a 2008 Accord V6 with the cylinder deactivation. At around 30,000 miles the engine went into limp mode. Turned out it was consuming a lot of oil and fouling out some of the deactivated cylinders. Happened 3 times in a year or so. Was in the process of doing a 1m000 mile oil consumption test ordered by the dealer when Honda settled a class action suit and they replaced the rings on the 3 cylinders. No problems after that - kept the car until about 100,000 miles. I will say, Honda does tend to stand behind their cars. Also had a Pilot that needed a transmission just out of warranty and they covered it. On the other hand, we shopped Honda when buying the Palisade and was not impressed with the fit and finish, or tech, on the Pilor or Passport.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OP Update. It has been almost 2 weeks. Service took apart the entire engine and did further tests requested by Coorporate. Lots of damage to the engine - needs replacement. They gave the info to Corporate 3 days ago. We opened a claim earlier this week. The agent is very nice but still no decision has been made yet by corporate regarding coverage of replacing engine under warrantee and if we will be able to be given a loaner in the interim. We were sent paperwork to file for rental needed to return home under trip interruption.

·
Registered
6 Posts
OP Update. It has been almost 2 weeks. Service took apart the entire engine and did further tests requested by Coorporate. Lots of damage to the engine - needs replacement. They gave the info to Corporate 3 days ago. We opened a claim earlier this week. The agent is very nice but still no decision has been made yet by corporate regarding coverage of replacing engine under warrantee and if we will be able to be given a loaner in the interim. We were sent paperwork to file for rental needed to return home under trip interruption.
If your vehcile is under warranty, what could they be looking for; Evidence that you were racing your Palisade at the local track, etc. What they do could be 'very telling' as to what other owners can expect. Now did they improve the problem in the 2022 model. I guess I will find out soon enough. I may have held back a while longer to make the purchase had I been aware of the things I have read about on this forum. I wish you good luck with this. Please let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bought the same 10 year bumper-to-bumper warranty when we got our 2021 Limited. Biggest reason at the time was that my brother got in his 2013 Genisis to drive from FL to CT only to find out his smart cruise control didn't work. Took it to the same dealer we were buying our car from, and they quoted him $5,800 for just the module, plus labor - he was out of warranty. With all the computerized, techno electronics on these cars, a small repair can be thousands - plus they don't fix things anymore, just replace modules, etc.

Related to the engine issues, had a 2008 Accord V6 with the cylinder deactivation. At around 30,000 miles the engine went into limp mode. Turned out it was consuming a lot of oil and fouling out some of the deactivated cylinders. Happened 3 times in a year or so. Was in the process of doing a 1m000 mile oil consumption test ordered by the dealer when Honda settled a class action suit and they replaced the rings on the 3 cylinders. No problems after that - kept the car until about 100,000 miles. I will say, Honda does tend to stand behind their cars. Also had a Pilot that needed a transmission just out of warranty and they covered it. On the other hand, we shopped Honda when buying the Palisade and was not impressed with the fit and finish, or tech, on the Pilor or Passport.
We purchased the extended warrantee for the same exact reason, plus the Palisade was a new model. Nowadays every single repair seems to be $1000+

We purchased the Palisade to replace a 2005 Honda Pilot with 200K+ miles. Nothing was wrong with the Pilot but we were concerned about taking it on trips because of its age and mileage but kept it for our teens to drive locally. My husband was quick to point out which of these 2 cars doesn't need a new engine. LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
We purchased the extended warrantee for the same exact reason, plus the Palisade was a new model. Nowadays every single repair seems to be $1000+

We purchased the Palisade to replace a 2005 Honda Pilot with 200K+ miles. Nothing was wrong with the Pilot but we were concerned about taking it on trips because of its age and mileage but kept it for our teens to drive locally. My husband was quick to point out which of these 2 cars doesn't need a new engine. LOL
It just irks me to think they are trying to figure a way out of this. I hope not, but a good teaching moment for me to get a few steps ahead of these guys should they make you jump through more hoops.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts