Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
To whom it may concern: Just because my hands were off the wheel doesn't mean I am not paying attention to the road. Hyundai doesn't track our eyes like GM Supercruises do, but I want to believe many sensible Palisade owners are just unwinding a bit on long trips.
This exactly - I'm still paying full attention. Also the Comma 3 mentioned above takes over the system and does eye tracking instead of wheel movements.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Some of these posts are gold.

I bet if they had online forums back in the 1970s,there'd be a big long thread on here after the Palisade transitioned to electric locks and windows.

"You won't catch me with electric windows and locks! What happens when you end up in the river? Your family is going to be crying because you couldn't roll the windows down and drown! You can thank me later for warning you."
🤣 100%. Why use cruise control when you can press the gas and brake yourself.

I've been driving over 25 years and have a CDL. I find these driving aids much safer on long road trips than without.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Came back from Florida and saw ….dozens upon dozens …..of those metal guard rail all crumpled up from what I suspect may be from hands free driving when weather or road conditions do not permit lane keeping or hands free driving. Just an observation.:unsure:
True, those metal guards were never crumpled before hands free driving became available a few years back ;)

At the end of the day they are all assist features and the driver still has to pay attention.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ooooh! I didn't know it was out!

Have you (or can you) written up a longer post about driving with it on a Palisade? How different is it from the standard Driver Assist Features? Is it still primarily for highway driving, or does it offer some benefit for city driving as well?
I've been using the Comma 3 for the past year and it is way, way better than the stock system - I could never go back. Stock is really for highway driving, as you need visible lines on both sides for it to work well, and you have to nudge the wheel every so often. With the C3 it doesn't need lane lines at all, it uses it's own AI. It also auto resumes from full stop with no time limit, and tracks your face/eyes so you don't need to nudge the wheel at all. I've put about 10k miles on it, mostly city driving. During city driving you can more easily enjoy your coffee while commuting to work hands free. I've done highway driving where I don't have to touch the wheel or pedals for hours. You still have to be ready to take over in an emergency, but it makes long drives much more manageable mentally and physically.

There are optional custom versions too ("forks") instead of using the stock Openpilot. I recommend Sunnypilot, you can do lane changes just by putting on the blinker (it won't change lanes if the Palisade senses a car there), and the cruise speed auto slows on curves based on the degree of turn. If you want, Sunnypilot also separates lateral (lane centering) and longitudinal (gas/brake) control, so you can use lane centering but still control the gas/brake yourself kind of like reverse cruise control. Seems counterintuitive, but it's nice when coming to a distant red light, etc. where you can turn the cruise off and the car can coast to slow down, but lane centering continues.

It doesn't navigate for you (e.g. taking turns at intersections) or stop at stop signs/red lights yet but supposedly it's coming, and no system I know of does that yet.

Installation took me 15 minutes, and if you have the funds and like the idea of more "autonomous" driving, I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Awesome! Thank you for the detailed response. I think this will be my birthday present to myself, lol.

One last question. Does C3 detect fully stopped vehicles? For example, if I come over a hill and there is a stopped vehicle in front of me at a light, will C3 bring the Palisade to a stop? Or does a vehicle have to be moving for the the system to detect and track it (like the Palisade's SCC).
The default install, including Sunnypilot, still uses the Palisade's radar for detecting the car in front so it's the same as stock SCC. As Comma is really an open source dev kit, there are ways to use the C3's camera for visual-only adaptive cruise control (VOACC) instead of the radar but I haven't tried it. Comma uses Discord instead of a forum for communications, so definitely join it. Sunnypilot has his own discord as well.

Since I like the auto-resume, when I come to a long red light and the car is already stopped like you said, I cancel cruise/brake which keeps lane centering on but I control gas/brake. Once I'm down to around 20 mph and close enough to the lead car, I reengage cruise. The radar sees the car and stops, then auto resumes once traffic starts moving.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Finished my trip yesterday taking the kid back to school. Probably 95% hands-free driving for about 350 miles round-trip. Not once did it ask me to put my hands back on the wheel.

By the by, if you've got a kid going to college, invest in an aluminum foldable push cart. That thing works really slick for hauling crap into their dorm room.

View attachment 6920
That's awesome (and I agree with the push cart!). I probably would have gotten that in place of the $2K Comma 3 initially, but since I do a lot of city driving with one or no road lines I found the stock system to not work well for me. For highway driving the stock system did work really well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts