Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am patiently awaiting my Curt 13427 trailer hitch to arrive. My initial intention was to purchase and have U-haul install it, but when I showed up on my installation day they informed me that despite me making my appointment and them ordering the hitch two weeks prior, they did not yet have my hitch in stock and it was back-ordered and no idea when they would actually have it in stock. Following a discussion regarding how nice it would have been to receive a phone call informing me of this prior to me driving across town, I looked and found I could buy one for cheaper from amazon, but would have to install it myself.
I've watched a couple of videos and am confident I can do it with a little help from my brother. My question is, the videos I watched both say to "Torque the bolts down to the specifications." I have looked high and low on the internet, and cannot find the recommended foot/pounds to torque these down to. Anyone have any advice on where to find this information?

·
Registered
50 Posts
The installation walk-through that's included in the Curt box indicates: "Torque all 12mm fasteners to 79 lb-ft and all 10mm fasteners to 48 lb-ft."

I, with the help of a neighbor, just installed the Curt 13427 hitch on my Palisade yesterday. Having the right tools is critical to making it as smooth as possible. We used ramps under the rear wheels to gain a bit more space to maneuver. There are certainly some challenges: odd angles, limited leverage, but we knocked it out in about an hour.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just installed mine last week. Really a quality product. eTrailer has a great instructional video.

You really need a torque wrench. I used this one, which is a very high-quality tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FMPKAD0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BPq6EbX66EBZT

The 79 lb-ft setting requires some real muscle and nearly maxed out that wrench. This is a critical component for safety and I would have left it seriously under-tightened if I didn’t have the tool.

Also a trim removal kit like this was key: Amazon.com: GEHUAY Trim and Door Panel Removal Tools Kit, Auto Upholstery Fastener Tools Clip Plier Set Fastener Remover for Automotive, Marine, and Aircraft: Garden & Outdoor

The “clip removal pliers” are perfect for removing the rubber mounts on the exhaust.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am patiently awaiting my Curt 13427 trailer hitch to arrive. My initial intention was to purchase and have U-haul install it, but when I showed up on my installation day they informed me that despite me making my appointment and them ordering the hitch two weeks prior, they did not yet have my hitch in stock and it was back-ordered and no idea when they would actually have it in stock. Following a discussion regarding how nice it would have been to receive a phone call informing me of this prior to me driving across town, I looked and found I could buy one for cheaper from amazon, but would have to install it myself.
I've watched a couple of videos and am confident I can do it with a little help from my brother. My question is, the videos I watched both say to "Torque the bolts down to the specifications." I have looked high and low on the internet, and cannot find the recommended foot/pounds to torque these down to. Anyone have any advice on where to find this information?

Hey Tyler, curious if your Hitch arrived and if you have had it installed.

I have an appointment at Uhaul on 6/30... starting to get scared because I am going out to the river on 7/3 for 4th of July. Any tips on making sure I don't run in to the issue you did?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Tyler, curious if your Hitch arrived and if you have had it installed.

I have an appointment at Uhaul on 6/30... starting to get scared because I am going out to the river on 7/3 for 4th of July. Any tips on making sure I don't run in to the issue you did?
No, it never did come, and was told it was on back order with no estimated delivery. Then ordered one on Amazon from a company (Autoaccessoriesgarage) who said they had one in stock for immediate delivery. It never shipped so I called them and they said they had none in stock. I ended up ordering a draw-tite from another company that arrived three days later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sheeeeeesh.. sounds like a nightmare AND 1/2!!! Yeah that definitely did not calm my nerves. Haha.

Did Uhaul refund your money in full at least? I might just order one like you did and cross my fingers and hope and pray when I go to my appointment next week they don't run the same script they did to you.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Palisade SEL (Lagoon Silver/BlackBlack) with Conv
129 Posts
I can second that e-trailer shipped mine quickly.. I plan to install later this week. Installation video looks very straight forward.

EDIT: decided not to wait.. did it tonite.. my observations:
  • the exhaust isolator next to the rear tire was the trickiest for me (no special tools)
  • it was pretty easy to get the hitch under the car, up over the exhaust, and slip a bolt in to each side far enough to then work at your leisure
  • however I found that the passenger side required me to tighten the bottom-side bolts up pretty far before the side-to-side bolt at the rear had clearance to slide all the way thru
  • for the driver's side with that sleeve protruding from the bottom, I put the washer to the inside of it before sliding the bolt thru

I'd be curious to know how people are getting a good grip on the heads of the bolts above the lowered exhaust.. it was an exercise in contortion for me. Even moreso to get a long torque wrench involved. dunno.. maybe I should have lowered the exhaust fruther.. I think I only dropped it 2-3 inches at the very rear.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'd be curious to know how people are getting a good grip on the heads of the bolts above the lowered exhaust.. it was an exercise in contortion for me. Even moreso to get a long torque wrench involved. dunno.. maybe I should have lowered the exhaust fruther.. I think I only dropped it 2-3 inches at the very rear.
I think the advisory for using a strap to support the exhaust was so it doesn’t fall off completely when it’s on a lift. I think it’s OK to let it down as far as you need to if the car’s on the ground. As for the bolts, iirc we used a crescent wrench on the bolt head and the torque wrench on the nut.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can second that e-trailer shipped mine quickly.. I plan to install later this week. Installation video looks very straight forward.

EDIT: decided not to wait.. did it tonite.. my observations:
  • the exhaust isolator next to the rear tire was the trickiest for me (no special tools)
  • it was pretty easy to get the hitch under the car, up over the exhaust, and slip a bolt in to each side far enough to then work at your leisure
  • however I found that the passenger side required me to tighten the bottom-side bolts up pretty far before the side-to-side bolt at the rear had clearance to slide all the way thru
  • for the driver's side with that sleeve protruding from the bottom, I put the washer to the inside of it before sliding the bolt thru

I too had a hell of a time torquing the bolts for the hitch near the exhaust. Everyone said how easy this install was but never showed or mentioned this one difficult part. Other than that part, the install was easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Has anyone purchased the Curt 13427 off of Amazon? I’m getting ready to pull the trigger but was wondering if the product came with any mounting hardware such as nuts and bolts. If not, what size and style of nuts and bolts did you guys use? Thanks!

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
You only see the squared received, just like shown on post #14. MUCH nicer than the Hyundai accessory hitch. Having said that, at least on my SUV, the Curt wasn't a precise fit. It had what I considered a large gap between the hitch and my frame, which was unacceptable to me, so I used 4 washers (one on each of the 4 horizontal bolts), to reduce the total gap to an acceptable 1/16". I also didn't like the fact the hitch doesn't match the shape of the frame (which is at a slight angle, with one side more than the other), so it only touches the frame at the top, rather than the entire surface. I guess it should be okay, but it wouldn't give me a lot of confidence if I was pulling close to the limit. Fortunately, I only want it to either haul a bike rack, or a 1K-lb motorcycle trailer and bike combined. And with the washers, at least I'm not stressing the frame, and/or hitch, with a big gap between them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You only see the squared received, just like shown on post #14. MUCH nicer than the Hyundai accessory hitch. Having said that, at least on my SUV, the Curt wasn't a precise fit. It had what I considered a large gap between the hitch and my frame, which was unacceptable to me, so I used 4 washers (one on each of the 4 horizontal bolts), to reduce the total gap to an acceptable 1/16". I also didn't like the fact the hitch doesn't match the shape of the frame (which is at a slight angle, with one side more than the other), so it only touches the frame at the top, rather than the entire surface. I guess it should be okay, but it wouldn't give me a lot of confidence if I was pulling close to the limit. Fortunately, I only want it to either haul a bike rack, or a 1K-lb motorcycle trailer and bike combined. And with the washers, at least I'm not stressing the frame, and/or hitch, with a big gap between them.
i think you got a bad hitch. shouldnt be any gap

1 - 20 of 23 Posts