Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been trying to find information on towing with the palisade. I found a couple things on here but nothing that answered my questions directly - so putting this here incase it helps anyone out.

Moved from Texas to NY and have a palisade calligraphy with the dealership installed tow package. This is the one that sits low and is visible from all angles.

Purchased a 6 inch rise/ drop ball mount with
With 2 inch Ball. Car is rated for 5,000 pounds and I want to say it was pretty close. This was a 6*12 u-haul with furniture and stuff. 2k dry weight and i had at least 2k pounds of stuff. Plus more in the car

Car did really, really well. Gas mileage was understandably low. Probably averaged around 15mpg throughout the drive. Never did I feel like I needed more power. I did get some light swaying but that could have been my weight distribution in the trailer, though I did pay attention to that when packing. When I finally got to our new home - there is a steep incline to the house. That's the only time I struggled. You can see from the second picture. But the combination of mud, weight and incline felt like a lot for the palisade. But it did make it.

I would have zero issues with this set up again.

·
Registered
19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. What hitch receiver are you using CURT, OEM, etc?
Curt but probably should have gone drawtite. I went with Curt because it stuck out less but that means I can only slide in the Andersen hitch into the first hole (not all the way into the 2nd hole). It’s hard to explain but I’ll try and capture it in pictures or video and upload. Check out my YouTube channel. I have a specific video that covers everything I did to the Palisade to make it work.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
2 Posts
I had been trying to find information on towing with the palisade. I found a couple things on here but nothing that answered my questions directly - so putting this here incase it helps anyone out.

Moved from Texas to NY and have a palisade calligraphy with the dealership installed tow package. This is the one that sits low and is visible from all angles.

Purchased a 6 inch rise/ drop ball mount with
With 2 inch Ball. Car is rated for 5,000 pounds and I want to say it was pretty close. This was a 6*12 u-haul with furniture and stuff. 2k dry weight and i had at least 2k pounds of stuff. Plus more in the car

Car did really, really well. Gas mileage was understandably low. Probably averaged around 15mpg throughout the drive. Never did I feel like I needed more power. I did get some light swaying but that could have been my weight distribution in the trailer, though I did pay attention to that when packing. When I finally got to our new home - there is a steep incline to the house. That's the only time I struggled. You can see from the second picture. But the combination of mud, weight and incline felt like a lot for the palisade. But it did make it.

I would have zero issues with this set up again.

View attachment 3575 View attachment 3576
My wife and I will be moving my son from Memphis, TN to Alamo, CA, and plan to tow the same trailer with our Palisade Calligraphy. I am going to get a 3.5” riser to match their 18” tongue height. What did you find was a comfortable freeway speed with the trailer? I’ve read a lot about trailer sway and people saying that u-haul allows you to pull too much weight, but the Palisade has sway control. Just wondering what your experience was with freeway speeds.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was about to start my own thread but I’ll just tag along this one. My on going real world test is hauling a 4,800 lb trailer with 550 tongue weight (measured). Look at the description for detailed notes on fuel economy and handling on each day of our traveling:

Thanks for the information. It been tough to get towing information from Hyundai. I have a 2020 Hyundai Palisade Sel (2wd) and I am going to be towing a Nucamp Tab 400 with a dry weight of 2956 lbs. and tongue weight dry 318 lbs. Did your Palisade struggle to pull your rig. Did you drive through mountains? Are you using a weight distribution tow hitch? Did you exceed the Palisade's Occupant and Cargo Capacity (OCC)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just bought a 2023 Palisade. The manual says 1650 pounds without trailer brakes and 5000 pounds with trailer brakes. Nowhere in the brochure or on the website do they distinguish between the two situations. I bought the car wanting 5000 pounds but I don't have trailer brakes. Does this mean I can't tow my boat?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is your boat trailer equipped with its own hydraulic (a.k.a. "surge") brakes? (See here for details.) If not, 1650 pounds would be the safe and legal towing limit unless and until you are able to get an electric braking system and controller installed and configured.

·
Premium Member
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
530 Posts
I just bought a 2023 Palisade. The manual says 1650 pounds without trailer brakes and 5000 pounds with trailer brakes. Nowhere in the brochure or on the website do they distinguish between the two situations. I bought the car wanting 5000 pounds but I don't have trailer brakes. Does this mean I can't tow my boat?
Depends on how heavy your boat is.. and local laws. Engineers have determined that without assistance from trailer brakes, the Palisade brakes can only “safely” handle an extra 1650 pounds. Trailer brakes are a requirement on trailers above a certain weight, that varies with province/state.. this is independent of the tow vehicle.
With some common sense one can pull a lot more than 5000 pounds.. but that weight may well push you through a stop light.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Pulling is never an issue. Can pull 10000 pounds with a civic if you can get it going. Stopping is always the issue and the thing you need to be concerned with. Trailer brakes are required for anything over 3500 by DOT in most cases. So to pull something heavy you need brakes on the trailer and a controller for those brakes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts