Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, tried towing for the first time with my 2020 AWD Limited. Factory/dealer towing set up. 4,200# boat. 55 degrees out. 32 mile trip suburban traffic. Traveled varying speeds from 30 to 55 mph. Used a 8" rise on the hitch to level out the trailer. Towed in D the entire way. Temperature gauge remained stable. Braking was fine. A bit of sag in the suspension as expected. Acceleration was okay to good if you stepped on it. Struggles a bit up hill. Averaged 15 mph towing and 26 mph back on the same route empty. All in all, not disappointed. Didn't buy it to tow, as i have a dually, but may need it to do so down the road. Just an FYI.
Rusty

·
Registered
11 Posts
What hitch were you using?
Did Trailer have brakes?
Were your outside mirrors adequate to see around trailer?
Would you tow this in the mountains?
Would you tow this setup 1,000 miles?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brakes on trailer were electric over hydraulic so I think no trailer brakes (5 point wire). Mirrors were fine for my trailer, Towing 1000 miles for a once a year vacation, sure. Mountains, maybe if I used the paddle shifter. Hitch was dealer installed (hangs low under the car, hence the 8" rise on the ball.
Rusty

·
Registered
11 Posts
Brakes on trailer were electric over hydraulic so I think no trailer brakes (5 point wire). Mirrors were fine for my trailer, Towing 1000 miles for a once a year vacation, sure. Mountains, maybe if I used the paddle shifter. Hitch was dealer installed (hangs low under the car, hence the 8" rise on the ball.
Rusty
Good to hear and thanks.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
3 Posts
I have a Limited AWD I purchased on February 25th. I purchased a Curt receiver and 4 pin wiring harness from E Trailer for $215 and had both installed for $85 at UHaul in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am very happy with the results and saved about $100 from the factory hitch. I also like that it's hidden better than the factory hitch. I then had UHaul install a Pilot brake controller and a 7 way pin for $316. Again, I'm very happy with the results. Because of the driver's knee airbag, I had the brake controller installed vertically, attached to the tunnel. The Pilot brake controller was the only one UHaul sells that can be installed vertically and they only install brake controllers that they sell.

I have a 25 foot travel trailer I tow that weighs around 5,000 lbs when loaded. I just towed it for the first time to Cripple Creek, Colorado and was very impressed. There is a grade that begins at an elevation of about 6000 feet and ends at 10,000 feet. I was very impressed with how it towed and the engine temperature did not rise. My previous vehicle, a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum with the twin turbo V-6, towed the same trailer not much better, but the temperature would rise at times.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Palisade and was pleasantly surprised with how it towed!

20200526_133816.jpg

·
Registered
412 Posts
Not surprised on engine temps as that‘s not where I‘ve seen modern vehicles struggle. Is anyone tracking transmission and rear differential temps? I know the Palisade comes with a trans cooler, but curious. Also surprised to hear that there was ‘sag’ in the suspension with self-leveling being standard on the limited..

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't see where his post talks about sag, but it's important to keep in mind that the self leveling rear suspension in the palisade is not an active system. It requires driving the vehicle a short distance after the load is attached to level out. If one were to attach a load and then look at the vehicle without driving, it would look like it was sagging.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a limited AWD - what wiring parts do I need. I'm going with the curtis hitch.

I only need the 4 pin connection.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Engineering is really all in the details.

Okay, tried towing for the first time with my 2020 AWD Limited. Factory/dealer towing set up. 4,200# boat. 55 degrees out. 32 mile trip suburban traffic. Traveled varying speeds from 30 to 55 mph. Used a 8" rise on the hitch to level out the trailer. Towed in D the entire way. Temperature gauge remained stable. Braking was fine. A bit of sag in the suspension as expected. Acceleration was okay to good if you stepped on it. Struggles a bit up hill. Averaged 15 mph towing and 26 mph back on the same route empty. All in all, not disappointed. Didn't buy it to tow, as i have a dually, but may need it to do so down the road. Just an FYI.
Rusty

I don't see where his post talks about sag, but it's important to keep in mind that the self leveling rear suspension in the palisade is not an active system. It requires driving the vehicle a short distance after the load is attached to level out. If one were to attach a load and then look at the vehicle without driving, it would look like it was sagging.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't check sag after I hooked up as I was driving. Never checked at destination. I just noticed it after I dropped it on the ball. Glad it's not an issue (wasn't much of one to begin with.
Rusty

·
Registered
27 Posts
I didn't check sag after I hooked up as I was driving. Never checked at destination. I just noticed it after I dropped it on the ball. Glad it's not an issue (wasn't much of one to begin with.
Rusty
Sag is adjusted after you start driving, well at least that is what I saw on a YouTube video I watched before bought mine😃 I just got my hitch installed last night and it was not to bad to install. I'll only be towing a dirt bike trailer, so I'm not really worried. I was not happy with e-Trailer with their shipping. I paid for expedited shipping and it took them over a week before it even shipped and the items were in stock. I get the hitch yesterday and they forgot the wire harness. Now they have to ship that to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 4 pin wiring harness i used was the Curt T-Connector Vehicle Wiring Harness with 4-Pole Flat Trailer Connector from etrailer.com. With regards to sag, if you have a weight distribution hitch attached properly, sagging is never an issue.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD
2 Posts
This is an extremely helpful post! Any chance you could share a photo of what your pilot brake controller looks like installed inside you car?

I have a Limited AWD I purchased on February 25th. I purchased a Curt receiver and 4 pin wiring harness from E Trailer for $215 and had both installed for $85 at UHaul in Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am very happy with the results and saved about $100 from the factory hitch. I also like that it's hidden better than the factory hitch. I then had UHaul install a Pilot brake controller and a 7 way pin for $316. Again, I'm very happy with the results. Because of the driver's knee airbag, I had the brake controller installed vertically, attached to the tunnel. The Pilot brake controller was the only one UHaul sells that can be installed vertically and they only install brake controllers that they sell.

I have a 25 foot travel trailer I tow that weighs around 5,000 lbs when loaded. I just towed it for the first time to Cripple Creek, Colorado and was very impressed. There is a grade that begins at an elevation of about 6000 feet and ends at 10,000 feet. I was very impressed with how it towed and the engine temperature did not rise. My previous vehicle, a 2018 Ford Explorer Platinum with the twin turbo V-6, towed the same trailer not much better, but the temperature would rise at times.

Overall, I'm very happy with the Palisade and was pleasantly surprised with how it towed!

View attachment 1200

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sure, I'd be happy to. I also included a photo of the hitch and the 7 way pin.

I just towed my trailer out of Denver up a long, steep grade and I definitely recommend turning off a/c as the manual suggests. I didn't initially and the temperature rose almost to hot. After turning off, it never rose past half way. Happy trailering!

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited AWD
2 Posts
Sure, I'd be happy to. I also included a photo of the hitch and the 7 way pin.

I just towed my trailer out of Denver up a long, steep grade and I definitely recommend turning off a/c as the manual suggests. I didn't initially and the temperature rose almost to hot. After turning off, it never rose past half way. Happy trailering!
Looks great, and thanks for the additional towing tips!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts