Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

We just bought a new Palisade in early May. I currently have about 500 miles on the vehicle. We are getting ready to go on vacation next week. I need to tow our roughly 4,000 lb boat to our destination. The trip to our destination is roughly 225 miles. I just read the owners manual warning about waiting until you have 1200 miles on the vehicle before towing anything. I'm so concerned that I've been taking long unnecessary trips to try and accumulate as many miles as possible before we depart. In the past 3 days, I've added about 250 miles. By the time we leave, I should be able to get the total to 700-800 miles. I read a post on this site that said modern engines don't have a strict break in period, at least not like it was 40-50 years ago. We do not have any other options so this will happen one way or another. Am I being overly cautious? I'm just wondering what the collective minds of other Palisade owners have to say.

Thanks for reading,

MadPalMan

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Guys,

We just bought a new Palisade in early May. I currently have about 500 miles on the vehicle. We are getting ready to go on vacation next week. I need to tow our roughly 4,000 lb boat to our destination. The trip to our destination is roughly 225 miles. I just read the owners manual warning about waiting until you have 1200 miles on the vehicle before towing anything. I'm so concerned that I've been taking long unnecessary trips to try and accumulate as many miles as possible before we depart. In the past 3 days, I've added about 250 miles. By the time we leave, I should be able to get the total to 700-800 miles. I read a post on this site that said modern engines don't have a strict break in period, at least not like it was 40-50 years ago. We do not have any other options so this will happen one way or another. Am I being overly cautious? I'm just wondering what the collective minds of other Palisade owners have to say.

Thanks for reading,

MadPalMan
I was in the same boat as well, I had a 4,100lb trailer that we just purchased about 4 months prior. We didn't risk it and did an enterprise truck rental until we had over 1,200 miles on it. From my research there are still several transmission seals that age differently than the motor break-in, and last thing I wanted to do was have it break down towing and invalidate the 10yr warranty.

My best recommendation is to wait until you hit the 1200 mile mark...I know it's not optimal, especially now that you have a tow vehicle! But it's worth the wait. It also is fairly inexpensive, an average 3-day weekend might be about $120-180 thru enterprise truck rental. Don't risk it!!!

·
Super Moderator
851 Posts
I wouldn't risk it myself, But if you do. Make sure you take it easy, drive slower than you would normally.
Hopefully you don't have to do any uphill driving.
They want all the seals and parts to seat properly not get hot or subject to undo forces before it does any hard work. If you do be extra careful driving.
Manual also says not to maintain one steady speed, not to drive hard, not to brake hard, not to rev the engine up to a high RPM, And a bunch of other stuff. Does anyone pay attention to all those?

·
Registered
31 Posts
How far you towing? I'm sure it will stop, just not the way it's supposed to. For your safety (and mine), I'd throw the brakes on.
Rusty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the advice. Yes, the trailer has brakes. In fact, when I knew we were purchasing the new Palisade, I replaced all of the brakes on the trailer. Not just the shoes... the whole brake assembly. And I installed a new hydraulic actuator. I tested with my old tow vehicle before we had the Palisade and it stopped 'right now' when I applied the brakes.

Anyway, we went ahead and towed the boat with the Palisade. No problems whatsoever. I did a thorough inspection (within reason... I'm not a mechanic by trade) when we got home. Everything looks and seems fine. It still runs and shifts smoothly.

It wasn't an ideal situation. Time will tell if we made the right decision. We really had no other options. Renting was way outside our budget at this time (wife just laid off due to Covid). In fact, we probably should've forfeited the $200 deposit and stayed home. But we all needed time away from the house, if you know what I mean.

Honestly, I wish I wouldn't have read the manual so closely. Blissful ignorance is highly underrated. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts