Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why isn't anyone talking about trailer hitch wiring causing fires? I took my 2020 Palisade for routine maintenance and they literally "stole" the fuse to my trailer lights. Stated they had been instructed to do that. I chose this Palisade for it's towing power. When I said I have a Thanksgiving camping trip planned, how am I supposed to tow without lights? The answer was "sorry we can't help you with that" So, why haven't I gotten a notice or recall warning me of this "danger"? 'sorry we don't know about that" . I think someone from corporate owes me a call and a refund.

· Registered
2021 Palisade Sel Premium
160 Posts
Why isn't anyone talking about trailer hitch wiring causing fires? I took my 2020 Palisade for routine maintenance and they literally "stole" the fuse to my trailer lights. Stated they had been instructed to do that. I chose this Palisade for it's towing power. When I said I have a Thanksgiving camping trip planned, how am I supposed to tow without lights? The answer was "sorry we can't help you with that" So, why haven't I gotten a notice or recall warning me of this "danger"? 'sorry we don't know about that" . I think someone from corporate owes me a call and a refund.

· Super Moderator
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
838 Posts
Why isn't anyone talking about trailer hitch wiring causing fires?
Because it is old news now. There is probably 20 threads in here about the recalls which was issued 2-3 months ago.

· Premium Member
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
532 Posts
Because it is old news now. There is probably 20 threads in here about the recalls which was issued 2-3 months ago.
And dealers "still" seem to be in the dark as to what to do. Pulling the fuse is obviously the easiest but in many cases NOT required. Anyone with a NON OEM wiring harness is perfectly safe.

· Registered
39 Posts
I wouldn't be asking if I had been notified.
Same thing happened to me. Went in for service and the dealer told me they pulled the fuse for trailer lights because of potential fire. I said what if i need to tow, answer.... put the fuse back in. Hyundai still doesn't have a fix. Just got a recall notice for wiper motor, the letter said they would notify me when they have a fix for problem. LOL

· Registered
53 Posts
I know they have discussed it on here cause I read it. It really is an inconvenience 🙁

· Registered
23 Posts
We just entered our Palisade VIN (factory hitch and wiring) on the Hyundai website, it came back with zero recalls!

· Registered
7 Posts
Yes indeed, a notice went out thru the hyundai app, thats how I noticed it. They pull the fuse, but no fix has been mentioned yet.

· Registered
22 Posts

· Registered
35 Posts
Go to an auto parts store and get a replacement fuse. The fuse sizes are on the fuse box cover. Find the one they pulled and replace with same size.
I’d ask for my fuse back from the dealer. They don’t own it.
Personally my dealer just let me sign a form saying I assume the risk and skipped the recall since I don’t have the OEM harness.

· Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy Hyper White / Black
109 Posts
Get down to your local hitch store, toys for trucks, uhaul or what ever shop you have in your area and have them install a after market wiring harness. They’ll replace the fuse and your good to go Turkey hunting. Sure it’ll cost maybe $100 or so but if your driving a Palisade that little inconvenience shouldn’t be too shocking. Have a good Thanksgiving.

· Registered
2 Posts
I received a recall notice and had it replaced in October.

· Registered
2 Posts

I also chose my Palisade to tow a camper. I brought mine in to the dealer in Sept. to have it checked out b/c of the recall. They told me it’s fine because it’s not a OEM Hyundai wiring harness. I told them it was, and showed them the receipt from the Hyundai dealer where I purchased it. They pretty much shrugged it off, and waved me away. They didn’t even take out the fuse. I asked if I could still tow with it and they said yes. 2 weeks later I was backing up getting ready to hitch up the trailer and white smoke started pouring out just below the right rear corner of the car…right where the wiring harness is. Dead short. Had to last minute cancel out trip & haven’t camped since. I have warranty work that needs to be done on my camper, and I can’t to the camper the 5 miles to the dealer. An inspector from Hyundai scheduled time at a dealer near me to inspect the Palisade To see if it was due to the recall issue. I find out in a week or two. They still don’t have any resolution for the faulty wiring harness. I am wondering if I should just buy an aftermarket harness from etrailer. I am half tempted to replace the hitch too. The OEM hitch hangs too low, and the 7 pin plug (when connected as per the directions) is even closer to the ground. It’s a terrible design. I love the Palisade, and hate the OEM hitch, and wiring connector.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts