Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a question here about the general towing of travel trailers. We have got a Palisade 2021. We got the vendor Tow package but are currently upgrading to the curt Tow hitch. That one is said to be ok up to 6000lbs towing capacity and 750lbs tongue weight (with the Curt TruTrack 4P Weight Distribution Hitch).
We now fell in love with a travel trailer with a 5300lbs dry weight. The GVWR is 6,869lbs, and so above the limitations, but as I understand the dry weight includes everything but additional options and any fluids in the tanks. So, I assumed that we have 700lbs left for storage in the Camper. I planned to use the Curt BetterWeigh to see that we don't overload.
Do I make a mistake here? Am, I calculating wrong here? Would I run into other problems?

Thanks a lot

p.s. the Camper is the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S

·
Registered
10 Posts
No hitch will override the manufacturers specifications. Even curt’s website says that in very fine print. The Palisades max towing specs are 5000 max tow weight, and 500 tongue weight, no matter what hitch you use.

·
Registered
109 Posts
From the RV side, if you're at 5300 dry, by the time you make that RV livable (clothes, food, water, propane, pots, tools, etc., you are going to be WAY overweight. Don't do it. Remember, you may be able to pull it but remember, stopping it is another story.
Rusty

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
719 Posts
Hi,
I have a question here about the general towing of travel trailers. We have got a Palisade 2021. We got the vendor Tow package but are currently upgrading to the curt Tow hitch. That one is said to be ok up to 6000lbs towing capacity and 750lbs tongue weight (with the Curt TruTrack 4P Weight Distribution Hitch).
We now fell in love with a travel trailer with a 5300lbs dry weight. The GVWR is 6,869lbs, and so above the limitations, but as I understand the dry weight includes everything but additional options and any fluids in the tanks. So, I assumed that we have 700lbs left for storage in the Camper. I planned to use the Curt BetterWeigh to see that we don't overload.
Do I make a mistake here? Am, I calculating wrong here? Would I run into other problems?

Thanks a lot

p.s. the Camper is the Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S
We have a ROO 233S with an empty weight of 4,666lbs. We had a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer rated with a 5,700lb towing capacity and 750lb tongue weight (with WD Hitch). Because my wife had our 1/2 ton Silverado elsewhere, I used it to pull our trailer 3 blocks just to move it out from our parking place in the back of the house. I could tell that was way too much load to safely take on a road trip. You need a bigger tow vehicle to safely pull that camper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for all the answers. The Curt site is very confusing with the weight guide they give for the Tow hitch since it is directly for the Palisade.

No hitch will override the manufacturers specifications. Even curt’s website says that in very fine print. The Palisades max towing specs are 5000 max tow weight, and 500 tongue weight, no matter what hitch you use.
What I still don't understand is how the Weight Distribution Unity affects the tongue weight of the trailer. And I also heard that the passengers in the towing vehicle influence the tongue weight.

... Why, oh why, aren't there more nice lightweight travel trailers in the US. Looking at the European models (like this 27ft - GVWR 4200lbs - Hobby 650 KMFe) I am very annoyed that you cannot import those or buy them here.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
719 Posts
Weight distribution hitches distribute the tongue weight of a trailer up to the front axle of the tow vehicle so that it sits more level. Handling and braking are better too. They don’t really reduce tongue weight or allow you to tow beyond the capacities of the vehicle. The tension on the spring bars essentially lift up on the tongue, sort of "holding" some of the tongue's weight. This shifts the distribution of the weight from the tow vehicle's rear axle to all of the axles in the entire setup.

Passengers (and your stuff in the car) affect the car’s cargo or payload capacity. Tongue weight is included in the car’s cargo/payload capacity.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'll share my experience. I bought a tritoon last year about 4 hours from where I live. The combined weight of the boat and trailer is just shy of 5000lbs. Of course that is the rated limit of the Palisade. I ran into a very windy thunderstorm on the way back north that day. I have to say that was the most white-knuckle experience I ever had in my 24 years of private and professional accident-free driving experience. I dropped down to 45 in a 75 at times.The Palisade is simply not heavy enough for prolonged interstate driving with a heavy trailer. Additionally, the mpg of the Palisade is abysmal towing that kind of weight. I feel that the powertrain moves the weight more than adequately, but it has to be the drag of the larger loads that kills the mpg. That, or the computer knows when there's a trailer attached. Because my empty 5x10 utility trailer knocks me down 10mpg.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We tow a travel trailer that is 3690 dry and 4500 GVWR with trailer brakes and, while it seems to do just fine (We have driven it from California to the top of Michigan and California to Florida and back like this) there are times when it flet pretty sketchy. (110deg uphill from kingman AZ into flagstaff, etc). We have a load balancing/anti-sway hitch as well. Its pushing the limits... but works.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Have you looked at a fiberglass trailer (ie: Casita, Escape, etc.)? They're lighter, which is easier on your tow vehicle, and they're also better from a quality/durability perspective.

We had a Forest River (Palomino) camper, and it was every bit as crappy as the reviews say. A neverending headache of broken parts, electrical faults, water leaks, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It’s not so much how strong the hitch is.. but what it is attached to. The Palisade does not have a frame similar to what would be on a truck. Folded sheet metal is no match for a frame. Top of that, the weight of the vehicle needs to be sufficiently heavy to stay on the ground as the trailer tries to move it around. It’s what all those numbers about weights on the door jamb are all about. And then there are the springs that need to be sufficiently strong to support the extra weight and still leave some room for smoothing the ride. Over load at your own peril, sure the Palisade will move it a block or two but safely and without damage is a tossup.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Towing a travel trailer with a Palisade is a bad idea.

You want a solid rear axle to do any real towing. Independent rear suspension is guaranteed to give you a sloppy towing experience, and is a good way to end up in a ditch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts