Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Newb questions...

I watched this install video:

a) if I only wanted to get a rear hitch-based bike rack this shopping list would suffice?
I would not need a ball mount?
I would not need any wiring?

Would I likely need any kind of extender or would the common models (Yakima/Thule) clear the rear bumper? (looking at that 6" measurement at 5:04 in the above linked video)

b) Let's say I wanted to also be able to tow non-enclosed utility trailer (something like: - 5 Wide Utility Trailers For Sale ) (for getting mulch, or craigslist furniture), then I would also need
ie. based on this FAQ: https://www.etrailer.com/question-136174.html I would not need a 7-pin ?

thanks for humoring the newb.
a) You're looking good. No ball mount or wiring needed. Might just want to get a hitch lock. Not sure about hitch extenders or risers. Depends on which bike rack you go with as I've seen all different looking and functioning designs.

b) Most likely going to need a riser as the one travel trailer I towed needed to be set to it's highest position. Only time you need a 7pin I believe is when towing something above 1500lbs. See here for your specific state's reccomendations.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK. So, a "custom" install. Where do I get those types of things done, and what are people paying for that? My place (a truck custom outfitter) didn't seem to do it.
I got a 7-pin plug and brake controller installed at a "trailer shop". Some people have recommended going to UHaul for this sort of thing. But I searched for and found a "trailer shop" that did the install for me. They make custom hitches and do wiring of this sort.

It ended up being $650 all in for a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 brake controller, the plug socket, and the installation. Already had bought and installed the Curt hitch and the 4pin wiring harness separately myself.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Installed my hitch last night - went pretty well. Just curious where people have mounted their four pin cable. I'd hate to put it through the bumper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Installed my hitch last night - went pretty well. Just curious where people have mounted their four pin cable. I'd hate to put it through the bumper.
Whis hitch did you finally get? The OEM has the 4-pin harness installed to the left of the hitch. Looks neat in my opinion.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts