Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously considering Palisade, but undecided on model/trim. I see that the higher end vehicles have 20 in wheels, while the base model has 18 in. wheels. My golf buddy says 20 in ride rougher due to less sidewall in the tire. Is he right? If he's right, why would the rougher riding wheels go into the higher end models? I want a quieter, smoother riding vehicle. Comments, suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Make a list of the things you want on the palisade, HUD, Digital gauge cluster, napa leather, etc.
Look at the sel trim and see if you can get the packages that fulfill your want list.
If you can get everything you want in the SEL it has 18" wheels. Compare the limited trim and if
it has the things you want then go for that, and you will be happy. Seems no matter which vehicle
we get there is always give something to get something.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My golf buddy says 20 in ride rougher due to less sidewall in the tire. Is he right?
Sort of. All things equal, less sidewall will result in less absorption of shock inputs through the tires. The question is if it's substantial enough to make a difference. Only way for you to know that is to drive them both. I have the 20" wheels on mine and never once have thought that the ride felt rough.

Larger wheels are generally installed on higher trim vehicles because they look better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with @saxman242, drive them both and see for yourself. That’s what I did and I found the 20s to be a smooth ride. No significant difference (to me) between the 18s and 20s in ride comfort. The Limited ended up being my choice and I have zero regrets.

·
Banned
673 Posts
We didn’t drive SEL and Limited so no idea. I don’t think the 20” wheels ride bad at all. In theory though 18” rims with more sidewall should ride better.......in theory.

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
18" with more sidewall properly inflated will give a better ride than 20" but the 20" will give better handling characteristics because of the shorter side wall but i would think the quality of the tire would have a lot to do with the ride.quality IMO.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have the SEL with 20" Bridgestone tires and I feel that the ride itself us smooth BUT I can feel the roughness of the road on the gas pedal. Thia is even true for not so rough road, just normal wear and tear road, no cracks, I can feel the road on the gas pedal. But the seating are comfortable. Just that my foot can feel the roughness on the pedal. I know I keep saying it.

I have mentioned this in other threads but felt this is also appropriate. I check the tire pressure and it's at 35 and when driving it goes up to around 37/38. I'm wondering if it's the tire size or if it's the tire brand/type. I'm just hoping it's not any mechanical problem. I mean it's not major but I didn't expect to feel the road on my foot every time I go on a "rough road".

·
Banned
673 Posts
18" with more sidewall properly inflated will give a better ride than 20" but the 20" will give better handling characteristics because of the shorter side wall but i would think the quality of the tire would have a lot to do with the ride.quality IMO.
Also in theory here 20” vs 18”. There is a limit to what a tire can do in handling. I run an 18” track setup versus 20” street setup. The 18” tires have a 30 aspect ratio vs. 25 for the 20”. The 18’s are designed with a MUCH stiffer sidewall to handle the g loads while the 20” tires are a compromise of handling, noise, tread wear, grip and comfort.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree with @saxman242, drive them both and see for yourself. That’s what I did and I found the 20s to be a smooth ride. No significant difference (to me) between the 18s and 20s in ride comfort. The Limited ended up being my choice and I have zero regrets.
Thanks for all comments

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the SEL with 20" Bridgestone tires and I feel that the ride itself us smooth BUT I can feel the roughness of the road on the gas pedal. Thia is even true for not so rough road, just normal wear and tear road, no cracks, I can feel the road on the gas pedal. But the seating are comfortable. Just that my foot can feel the roughness on the pedal. I know I keep saying it.
I may be wrong, but I've always assumed that's a characteristic of the Bridgestones. I'd love to try a set of Michelins to prove or disprove it, but I don't have a spare $1200 laying around. Maybe in another 20 0r 30K miles I'll be able to find out when it comes time to swap in a new set of tires. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
@ckon - are you also feeling the road on the gas pedal? I mean the ride itself i nice. But just the feel of the road on the gas pedal bothers me sometimes.
I haven’t really noticed that. I just notice a subtle background noise that I assume is generated by hard rubber compound in the Bridgestone tires. May just be my imagination. I’ll try to pay more attention next time I get an opportunity.

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
Also in theory here 20” vs 18”. There is a limit to what a tire can do in handling. I run an 18” track setup versus 20” street setup. The 18” tires have a 30 aspect ratio vs. 25 for the 20”. The 18’s are designed with a MUCH stiffer sidewall to handle the g loads while the 20” tires are a compromise of handling, noise, tread wear, grip and comfort.

Great looking photo thanks for sharing and also for your insight on the 18" verses 20"

·
Registered
10 Posts
Seriously considering Palisade, but undecided on model/trim. I see that the higher end vehicles have 20 in wheels, while the base model has 18 in. wheels. My golf buddy says 20 in ride rougher due to less sidewall in the tire. Is he right? If he's right, why would the rougher riding wheels go into the higher end models? I want a quieter, smoother riding vehicle. Comments, suggestions?
I test drove the SEL and the Limited and preferred the all around drive experience and handling of the Limited so that what I purchased.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was just out for a drive and paid attention to what I was feeling through the floor, pedals and dead pedal. I didn't feel anything unusual at all, in fact I could sense more vibration through the dead pedal than the gas pedal but still barely noticeable. Not an issue in my car at all. I still think the Bridgestones may be responsible for the slight noise and vibration that is there, though. I wonder if the tires could also be responsible for the higher interior noise levels recorded in the Palisade vs. the Telluride. Any ideas?

·
Registered
43 Posts
We have the limited. At 35 psi recommended pressure it rides great. Be careful, just because there is a touch screen doesn't mean it has navigation. Only disappointment is no electric folding outside mirrors to aid fitting into my gatage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I recently bought one SEL model I have 926 miles on it I was going down the freeway and a rock hit the bottom part of my car in the front and not the 2 inch hole in the front bumper area I'm not a happy camper

·
Registered
43 Posts
To meet today's mileage requirements, the metal is much thinner than the vehicles in the 60's no mote steel bumpers that are chrome plated. No more steel frames. Now unibody. The bumper covers are plastic. I am sure the same rock at the same speed would make a hole in any vehicle of the Palasade size and curb weight.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I recently bought one SEL model I have 926 miles on it I was going down the freeway and a rock hit the bottom part of my car in the front and not the 2 inch hole in the front bumper area I'm not a happy camper
Do you think that was because of the 18" wheels or the 20" wheels?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts