Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have been reading about Palisades being easy to steal. I have a 2020 AWD Limited.

Do Palisades have an engine immobilizer and how well do they work.

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
694 Posts
Yes there is an immobilizer, it shuts off the fuel.

Font Parallel Screenshot Electric blue Rectangle

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
373 Posts
Hello, I have been reading about Palisades being easy to steal. I have a 2020 AWD Limited.

Do Palisades have an engine immobilizer and how well do they work.
Every single Palisade with a smart key and push button start (including yours) has an immobilizer.

In the United States, the only ones to not have an immobilizer are the 2020 and 2021 SE, which has a typical ignition cylinder and key. They did add an immobilizer to the 2022 SE in response to the thefts of Hyundais and Kias with key ignitions and no immobilizer.

For 2023, all trims have a smart key with push button start (and immobilizer).

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every single Palisade with a smart key and push button start (including yours) has an immobilizer.

In the United States, the only ones to not have an immobilizer are the 2020 and 2021 SE, which has a typical ignition cylinder and key. They did add an immobilizer to the 2022 SE in response to the thefts of Hyundais and Kias with key ignitions and no immobilizer.

For 2023, all trims have a smart key with push button start (and immobilizer).
Thank you so much for the info. I feel better knowing this.
Tom

·
Registered
2022 Palisade Calligraphy
56 Posts
None of that stops them from dragging it up onto a flatbed and hauling it away.

Keep your insurance paid up, that really is the best route to peace of mind.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Milwaukee is the center of Hyundai thefts. Kids are going on TikTok and watching a video. They take the cowling off the steering column and somehow use a USB cord to override the system and they are able to start the car and drive away within 50 seconds. All the articles I have read state that all Hyundai vehicles from 2015 through 2021 do not have an immobilizer that is effective under these circumstances. There was a class action suit filed in Kansas recently.
I went to my Hyundai service manager yesterday and he knew nothing about it but looked in up online and was stunned. This agency has no recommendation and Hyundai has issued a statement stating they all vehicles from 2015 to 2021 comply with all Federal regulations and that all new Hyundai vehicles have an immobilizer that will prevent this type of theft.
I went to Best Buy and for $450 they will install a system that will immobilize the vehicle--they claim.

Here is an article in USA Today:

Am I misreading the situation as if pertains to the Palisade--I have a 2020?

·
Registered
694 Posts
For Palisades it only applies to cars that don't have the engine immobilizer. The 2020 and 2021 models only had it in the upper trims and Hyundai put the immobilizer in all trims beginning in 2022.

"As reported last year, the trend began in Milwaukee in 2021 when a group of thieves realized it's stunningly easy to steal some late-model Hyundai and Kia cars that are not equipped with a push-button ignition. The thieves break into the car, remove the trim under the steering column to access the ignition, and use pliers or a USB charging cord to start the engine. Tutorials posted on social media sites such as TikTok made the trend a national phenomenon."

Reactions: Tom

·
Registered
12 Posts
So, are you saying that the TikTok procedure doesn't work if the Palisade has an immobilizer?
I have a 2020 SEL AWD with split back seats and just about every other upgrade except installed navigation, dual pipes and the long moonroof. Does this version have an immobilizer?

Thanks

·
Registered
694 Posts
So, are you saying that the TikTok procedure doesn't work if the Palisade has an immobilizer?
I have a 2020 SEL AWD with split back seats and just about every other upgrade except installed navigation, dual pipes and the long moonroof. Does this version have an immobilizer?

Thanks
Correct, if you have push button start then you have an immobilizer.

·
Registered
694 Posts
And the TikTok procedure doesn't work? If so, you just saved me $450 at Best Buy.

Thanks
If you have push button start then you have an immobilizer, the affected cars are key start which don't have an immobilizer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts