Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to switch to a full synthetic oil or use the conventional oil? I don’t change my oil, Is it better to have oil changed at dealership or take it somewhere to have changed?

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
719 Posts
I change my own oil and use Mobil 1 (which some people will claim is not full synthetic while others say it is). I would say that if you are changing your oil regularly, either will work well for you. I've read of issues with the oil filter o-ring being aligned incorrectly resulting in a major oil leak. So do you have a local guy you trust? Do you have the "free" oil changes with Hyundai? I've also seen where people trying to use the free oil change service are being required to make an appointment 3-4 weeks out and that's with an overnight drop-off, whereas a local shop is more likely to get you serviced the same day.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I totally agree with Popeyes response, that following the manufacturers oil change schedule is the most important aspect. I will add that if you are planning to pull a trailer i would opt for a synthetic oil.

My Hyundai dealer only offers full synthetic and since I am from Canada we have to follow the more severe oil change schedule. Considering the type of driving the Palisade is exposed too, it’s a little overkill IMHO.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah... what part of Canada are you talking about? You don't have a monopoly on cold, and most of you live near our borders. I used to pull 53' trailers across your country all year round, for years on end, seen every mile of the TCH from Vancouver to Ottawa. Granted, your northern winters are like Alaska. But MOST of you don't live far north enough to experience it.

Conventional oil these days is just as good as synthetic if you're going to change it often. If you're planning to be lazy and not change your oil every 5000 miles, then use synthetic.

Me, I'm the overkill guy, it's going to get Motul full synthetic and K&N filters.

·
Registered
719 Posts
From the owner's manual, just two of the conditions for using the severe maintenance schedule are:
Driving in areas using salt or other corrosive materials or in very cold weather
Repeatedly driving short distances of less than 5 miles (8 km) in normal temperature or less than 10 miles (16 km) in freezing temperature

While those apply to a lot of areas outside Canada, I would say that for at least part of the year, they do. I live in Northern Illinois and as we experience both of those conditions, my car is subject to the severe schedule as well. Actually, if you look at all the listed conditions, I would say the great majority of people's cars would be subject to the severe schedule.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Palisade SEL
169 Posts
I'm in Florida... soooo LOL

I think severe usage would be the only reason to use full synthetic in this case. Not sure I get the salt on the road reference as far as oil changes is concerned, but ok. Some manufactures require synthetic now, however. (Toyota I'm looking at you)

·
Registered
719 Posts
There's more to the severe maintenance schedule than oil changes. Brake component inspection, air filter changes, steering and suspension inspections...

·
Registered
37 Posts
The concept of severe driving conditions is just an excuse for dealers to get you in for more frequent services. Dirt/dusty roads and pulling a heavy trailer.. perhaps. Follow Hyundia's engineers recommendation.. not the dealers.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I'm just posting what the owner's manual says. Is that from the engineers point of view? Or corporate Hyundai? I don't know.

·
Registered
48 Posts
If we're splitting hairs, then synthetic oil is better than conventional oil especially for cold starts and/or extended service intervals. That said, the real-world difference is negligible to a low-stress, large-capacity V6 engine. It's also invisible to your warranty. As long as you use the correct grade and API service number, nobody cares which type you use.

There's no requirement to service at the dealer, although it is the "safe" choice in that if a third-party garage (ie: Jiffy Lube) messes up your engine Hyundai has no obligation to cover it under warranty. You can also do it yourself. Just keep receipts. Competent DIYers don't trust anybody but themselves :)

Don

PS: It's not necessarily true to say that all Canadians must automatically follow the severe service schedule just because 25% of their driving occurs in the winter. If your driving style is otherwise moderate (ie: periodic highway use, not too much idling) there's nothing wrong with fudging the severe schedule a little bit, ie: 9 months instead of 6 or 12 assuming low mileage.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I change my own oil and use Mobil 1 (which some people will claim is not full synthetic while others say it is). I would say that if you are changing your oil regularly, either will work well for you. I've read of issues with the oil filter o-ring being aligned incorrectly resulting in a major oil leak. So do you have a local guy you trust? Do you have the "free" oil changes with Hyundai? I've also seen where people trying to use the free oil change service are being required to make an appointment 3-4 weeks out and that's with an overnight drop-off, whereas a local shop is more likely to get you serviced the same day.
It is NOT a full synthetic oil, however, it IS an excellent oil. I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5-30 which is made from natural gas and not crude oil.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is also a very good oil, just hard to find in stock where I live. Plus some of the reviews I've seen show Mobil 1 may be better in colder weather start-ups. Like I said, it depends where you look as to who says what about Mobil 1 being fully synthetic or not.

Pennzoil vs Mobil 1 comparison

·
Registered
2021 Palisade Calligraphy AWD
343 Posts
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum is also a very good oil, just hard to find in stock where I live. Plus some of the reviews I've seen show Mobil 1 may be better in colder weather start-ups. Like I said, it depends where you look as to who says what about Mobil 1 being fully synthetic or not.

Pennzoil vs Mobil 1 comparison
I use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum as well. Last year AutoZone had a sale, $2 for the 5 quart jugs. I bought out every AutoZone in a 20 mile radius, I have about 40 of the 5 quart jugs.

·
Registered
719 Posts
TWO DOLLARS per jug? I would've bought them out too. Was it a type they honored?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts