Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today hopped into my 2020 Palisade (only 2200 miles on it), started it up to run to Walmart. Decided to open the sunroof. Hasn’t been opened in weeks due to hot weather and low travel due to COVID. The mechanism whined and whirred and there was a crunching sound. I opened the shade and the sunroof was jammed. Back opened up but it looks like only the driver side track mechanism worked, sliding the driver side of the sunroof back like 3 inches while passenger side only moved like an inch. Of course it’s now cock-eyed and jammed. Glass did not break. Tried to close and Wouldn’t budge. Now sounds like some track is off. Going to the dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Whelp... Dealer has my Palisade since Sunday, Sept 20 and called me today, Thur. Sept 24. Evidently the entire sunroof mechanism came ‘unbonded’ and is broken. Service person said ‘they have never seen this’ and ‘an entirely new sunroof assembly needs to be ordered and rebonded back onto the car roof’. Also said ‘this is not an easy operation and will take some time’. Told me today the parts are on order and won’t arrive until mid-November. Uhhh. What did I just hear..... November?!?!!! They said they will have the service manager talk to me tomorrow about a loaner vehicle. Nope!! I’m thinking Lemon Law. What a massive disappointment. I really like the Palisade and it’s been operating just fine until I decided to open the sunroof. Will status this after we talk to the dealer tomorrow. Stay tuned!!

·
Registered
2020 Palisade Limited
284 Posts
I hate sunroofs. I opened and closed the front one last week - first time since getting the car in June. Then noticed some fine scratches on the passenger side and one of them really stood out and could actually be felt from outside. I know these didn't come from a carwash because I never went through one and my car has always been in the garage.

So I opened a case and took it to service yesterday. Got a call today saying they checked the operation and drive/motor appears fine but nevertheless they ordered new glass and will replace it. I guess that's good but I'm always nervous about dealer service taking stuff apart and replacing things especially sunroof glass. I am going to have them test the crap out of it when they are done and make sure water isn't getting in through it. That's my biggest fear.

In the meantime I'm picking up the car until they receive the parts. Not even going to touch the rear sunroof...ever.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Like others, I hate sunroofs. Waste of money for me. Puts weight at the exact spot you don't want to add weight (the top!!!), and it cuts headroom.

In all my cars where I am forced to get the sunroof, I hate them and never use them.

A convertible is a different matter altogether. There's nothing like driving topless!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LEMON ...!!! Update.,, dealer still has my car. Hyundai contacted me and has started paperwork to repurchase the vehicle. Dealer has had it since September 20 and it’s now October 31. Got a lemon law lawyer in Alabama ( they are hard to find). So will keep everyone posted as to how Hyundai repurchases this vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 SEL Silver Lagoon with bench seat
161 Posts
LEMON ...!!! Update.,, dealer still has my car. Hyundai contacted me and has started paperwork to repurchase the vehicle. Dealer has had it since September 20 and it’s now October 31. Got a lemon law lawyer in Alabama ( they are hard to find). So will keep everyone posted as to how Hyundai repurchases this vehicle.
I hope it goes smoothly. What a huge PITA. I'm sorry you're dealing with that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like others, I hate sunroofs. Waste of money for me. Puts weight at the exact spot you don't want to add weight (the top!!!), and it cuts headroom.

In all my cars where I am forced to get the sunroof, I hate them and never use them.

A convertible is a different matter altogether. There's nothing like driving topless!!!!
Agreed. I've been forced to have sunroofs in cars because of other options or buying used vehicles but they always whistle unless you keep the screen thing closed and I don't like looking up at dirt or water spots and they are noisy when opened too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts