Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Palisade SEL (Lagoon Silver/BlackBlack) with Conv
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having paid for AWD I am shocked to see Hyundai installed

which the website describes as for sports cars.

(per tirerack) These tires have miserable winter/snow traction, which is THE reason I opted to pay for AWD (need a dependable winter kid-hauler).

I'm trying to get them to swap the tires for something more appropriate for an AWD SUV. Curious if anyone has had any luck doing that.

I bought from a dealer 2 hours away (delivered) and so far they have politely said tough luck, so I am trying Hyundai corporate customer service (who so far have expressed extreme empathy and zero remedy :) )

And/or, any "sporty" drivers here want to buy a set of very-low-mileage replacement tires at a good price ? :)

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
I think you are stuck with them another option see if your local tire dealer will take them in trade for a set that meets your needs. I did that once on a truck i owned and i only had less than 200 miles on then or list them in the 4 sale section of the forum. I am sure on your msap sicked it showed what type tires that were on vehicle .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry buddy. As a Canadian I can tell you all about winter tires. NO ONE makes an all season tire that is not crap. Buy what you like for summer and winter.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MSAP? The sticker didn't list the brand/model of tire.

The lesson I get from this is that Hyundai has total disregard for the consistency of their vehicles and their owners (ie. these tires might be perfectly appropriate for a FWD sports car, but not an AWD SUV).

Sorry buddy. As a Canadian I can tell you all about winter tires. NO ONE makes an all season tire that is not crap. Buy what you like for summer and winter.
I don't need something for a Canadian winter, but I do need something which scores better than 5.2 (out of 10). It's hard to do WORSE based on the available tires at tirerack.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The MSRP listed 20-inch alloys with 245/50 R20 tires and that is what you got !!
Here is one review from Tirerack
Barely adequate. Stable, decent dry cornering. Lacking grip on acceleration. Aquaplanes too easily. Deadly in the snow
and another
Within 5,000 miles I noticed that these tires couldn't get through wet mud and slid constantly whenever accelerating in wet road conditions. Lost control going 45 mph in light snow and nearly crashed
I bet these aren't the tires they used in any of their AWD promo videos :)

Hauling 3 kids, safety is important and why I selected AWD (which should be mostly overkill for my area, but even AWD can't overcome tires with such poor inclement traction)

Have already listed them on craigslist (not terribly optimistic on that) and will be calling a local tire store in the morning (they list this as a tire they carry), but again, not optimistic on that either.

I disagree that I should be satisfied with any lump of rubber they happened to have laying around. Again, I didn't expect the top-rated tire, but I also didn't expect something from the bottom 20%. How many other places in the car did they use materials from the bottom 20%? Quality is the entire vehicle as sold to the customer, INCLUDING the tires.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If the Hyundai dealer swapped out your tires for substandard ones between when you test drove/inspected the vehicle and took delivery, you should definitely call corporate and complain. I'm sure they'd help make sure the intended tires got put back on.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
Your the first person I have heard of getting the Ventus S1 noble2 tires on the Palisade.
They are a performance tire and most performance tires are poor in snow.
I live in Arizona so don't deal with the snow except around Flagstaff.
I put those Ventus S1 noble2 tires (different size) on my Genesis G90 and thought
they were better than the Continentals that came on G90.
I looked at my tires Bridgeports before I took delivery.
Most of the poor ratings on tire rack come from people who thought a performance tire
should give them good winter traction.
While the Ventus S1 noble2 suck in snow a much better tire in winter weather is the
one made by BFGoodrich sold on tirerack. Handling isn't as good as some tires.
Good luck trying to get Hyundai to replace them, unless you complained at time of delivery
or the dealer switched them out

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
heck you got over 5000 miles on them maybe you should have contacted hyundai sooner how many miles do you have on them now.
Quote. Within 5,000 miles I noticed that these tires couldn't get through wet mud and slid constantly whenever accelerating in wet road conditions. Lost control going 45 mph in light snow and nearly crashed

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Read much before over-reacting? Those quotes were from reviews at tirerack.. NOT me.

Your the first person I have heard of getting the Ventus S1 noble2 tires on the Palisade.
They are a performance tire and most performance tires are poor in snow.
I live in Arizona so don't deal with the snow except around Flagstaff.
I put those Ventus S1 noble2 tires (different size) on my Genesis G90 and thought
they were better than the Continentals that came on G90.
I looked at my tires Bridgeports before I took delivery.
Most of the poor ratings on tire rack come from people who thought a performance tire
should give them good winter traction.
While the Ventus S1 noble2 suck in snow a much better tire in winter weather is the
one made by BFGoodrich sold on tirerack. Handling isn't as good as some tires.
Good luck trying to get Hyundai to replace them, unless you complained at time of delivery
or the dealer switched them out
Only noticed later the day I took possession (delivered from dealer 2 hours away). I would fault them much less for equipping a FWD model with these, but I feel they are non-congruent with an AWD where one presumes the AWD purchaser is seeking to actually benefit from the AWD. As it is the honest review I can say is that "Subaru Outback has better AWD traction.. and frankly my FWD minivan probably has better traction".. I honestly won't feel safe in mildly adverse conditions (ie. summer downpours and the 2-3 inches of snow we typically get) with these tires. That makes for a wonderful advertisement for Hyundai.

Its certainly possible the dealer swapped them, but so far Hyundai Customer Service appears 100% comfortable that these are the OEM tires I got.. in my mind it's most likely (tho not a sure thing) that Hyundai is responsible for these particular tires being on this particular vehicle. Local dealer service dept wanted nothing do with it.. said it was a sales issue. Will be contacting sales manager tomorrow to see if he is willing to do anything.

heck you got over 5000 miles on them maybe you should have contacted hyundai sooner how many miles do you have on them now.
Quote. Within 5,000 miles I noticed that these tires couldn't get through wet mud and slid constantly whenever accelerating in wet road conditions. Lost control going 45 mph in light snow and nearly crashed
Those quotes were from Tirerack, not me. I still have <500 miles on mine. You seem to disagree with my concerns .. your objection is noted. But if you don't have anything constructive, I'd ask you to bow out. I think other AWD buyers should be aware to check for this, in case they have the same concerns as I do.

·
Super Moderator
1,764 Posts
If you check the ratings on tire rack those ventus tires are rated higher than the Bridgestone Duelers which
came on everyone else's Palisade

·
Super Moderator
557 Posts
Read much before over-reacting? Those quotes were from reviews at tirerack.. NOT me.

Only noticed later the day I took possession (delivered from dealer 2 hours away). I would fault them much less for equipping a FWD model with these, but I feel they are non-congruent with an AWD where one presumes the AWD purchaser is seeking to actually benefit from the AWD. As it is the honest review I can say is that "Subaru Outback has better AWD traction.. and frankly my FWD minivan probably has better traction".. I honestly won't feel safe in mildly adverse conditions (ie. summer downpours and the 2-3 inches of snow we typically get) with these tires. That makes for a wonderful advertisement for Hyundai.

Its certainly possible the dealer swapped them, but so far Hyundai Customer Service appears 100% comfortable that these are the OEM tires I got.. in my mind it's most likely (tho not a sure thing) that Hyundai is responsible for these particular tires being on this particular vehicle. Local dealer service dept wanted nothing do with it.. said it was a sales issue. Will be contacting sales manager tomorrow to see if he is willing to do anything.

Those quotes were from Tirerack, not me. I still have <500 miles on mine. You seem to disagree with my concerns .. your objection is noted. But if you don't have anything constructive, I'd ask you to bow out. I think other AWD buyers should be aware to check for this, in case they have the same concerns as I do.
My mistake and i would be interested in what the service manager says if he gives you no satisfaction see the general manager who is usually is under the owner at the dealership.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you check the ratings on tire rack those ventus tires are rated higher than the Bridgestone Duelers which
came on everyone else's Palisade
Ouch.. you are right (I hadn't seem the specifics of which other options they were using). There must be some really crazy stuff that goes on in how manuf pick their tires.. ie. on Tirerack, those Duelers are some of the most expensive and yet near the bottom of the ratings .. they could have spent less $$ and gotten (much) better product.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My mistake and i would be interested in what the service manager says if he gives you no satisfaction see the general manager who is usually is under the owner at the dealership.
Per Gene's post.. my tires may actually be "less horrible" than the alternatives they use.. tho I am shocked that they are picking such poor options for their flagship(?) vehicle. But I'll still give it a try and see.

So far the local tire shop (who we've used multiple times) is willing to give me ~$50/tire... at which point I'd opt for the GOODYEAR ASSURANCE WEATHERREADY or BFGOODRICH ADVANTAGE T/A SPORT LT (almost as good and $44 cheaper/tire) .. still a bitter pill to spend another ~$800 just to get such better tires Hyundai could have been installing at comparable (or even less) cost.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Its certainly possible the dealer swapped them, but so far Hyundai Customer Service appears 100% comfortable that these are the OEM tires I got.. in my mind it's most likely (tho not a sure thing) that Hyundai is responsible for these particular tires being on this particular vehicle
It's very unlikely that a manufacturer would equip a vehicle with run flat tires AND a spare tire.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's very unlikely that a manufacturer would equip a vehicle with run flat tires AND a spare tire.
I had these equipped on my car

it says runflat on the manuf website.

Filed in the unlikely-but-true category.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have them on my FWD. Not excited about them, but I already have Michelin winter tires mounted on the OE rims. So I will suck it up for a couple of years and buy something more appropriate.

I had your exact feelings on my last car and traded in the OE Continentals with about 600 miles on them. IIRC, it cost me around $650, but I was glad to get rid of those tires

I agree that your best bet is to find an indy dealer willing to make you a permanent customer. While I was waiting for the swap to be done for my Palisade, I noticed about 3 stacks of take-offs on the showroom floor. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
A little bit of backstory here: initially, Hyundai has picked Michelin tires for the Palisade, but switched to Bridgestone because they (allegedly) couldn't get enough Michelin tires. And now they also use Hankook, as evidenced by people getting those tires.

As far as I can tell, the Michelin tires they were planning on using are Michelin Primacy LTX for both 20" and 18" wheels, but I've also seen the Michelin Primacy Tour A/S mentioned for the 20".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not doubting that you have them on your palisade, it just would make more sense that it was due to a dealer swap, but if others are saying they also have them, that changes things up with that thought.
Ah, I get where you are going. Alas it appears other people are getting these too ie: Winter Tires

so it seems like Hyundai is simply picking the bottom of the bucket for how they equip the Palisade. It's a shame, b/c these mediocre tires aren't any cheaper than much more performant options... it would be a win/win for everyone if they picked better.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts