Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have a Limited Pallisade 2020 and we just had exactly the same issue tonight. Very scary. I was wondering if you were able to send the letter to Hyundai corporate office and what they said. Fortunately we were not on the freeway! Steering wheel locked after multiple warning messages appeared on the dash board.
I am experiencing the same issue with my 2022 Palisade; steering locked in motion displaying steering warning and lane keep assist fault indicators. Surprised that despite several occurrences, this frightening safety issue still exists in the 2022 model. Curious to know how your car performed after the repairs and also if you filed a complaint with any of the regulators (US or Canada)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello. I have the same problem. Today is the 3rd time it happened to me and it's been a very frightening experience. The 1st time happened some weeks ago; the car was parked and as soon as I turned it on and drove away, I got a message about the blind spot and the steering wheel locked. I turned off and on the car and it went away. The 2nd time was this week, the same thing happened when I turned on the car; I drove a little bit on the street to see if it will go away, but it didn't so I turned off and on the car and it went away again. Today it was very scary and I had my kids with me in the car. It was different than the previous experiences. It happened when I was a couple of miles from my house. All of the sudden some lights came on with the same message about the blind spot system and the steering wheel was locked. I was closed to the traffic lights; the lights were red; I turned off car and turned it back on, but it didn't go away. I turned it off a couple of times and the steering wheel was still locked. The traffic lights turned green so I kept driving until I found a safe place to park. Every time I turned on and off the car, it kept happening so I turned it off and started going through my phone looking for some information. After 5 minutes or so, I turned on the car and the problem was gone. I was able to drive it back home. I am afraid to drive it now. I think I am going to call the service department tomorrow. I will probably have to tow it because I don't feel comfortable driving it.
I am experiencing the same issue with my 2022 Palisade; steering locked in motion displaying steering warning and lane keep assist fault indicators. Surprised that despite several occurrences, this frightening safety issue still exists in the 2022 model. Curious to know how your car performed after the repairs and also if you filed a complaint with any of the regulators (US or Canada)

·
Registered
16 Posts
My car just got towed right now. Hyundai customer service called the dealership and made an appt. to take the car in. They said they have to diagnose it. I hope to hear soon. I am not going to drive it like that. If it takes more than a day, I hope they give me a loaner car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This just happened to me this morning! First time as I was pulling out of my garage and onto my driveway. I freaked and turned it off to stop and read the manual and turned it back one and the issue was gone.
I drove to the end of my street and it happened again while I was driving. (Thankfully just in the neighborhood and very early in the morning)

I had it towed to the dealer and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. I sent them pics and explanation of what happened and still waiting to hear more from them.
Definitely not something I just want to wait and see on.

So it sounds like I should suggest looking at the ground wire or the potential for a new steering column.

Glad I found this forum!
I am experiencing the same issue with my 2022 Palisade; steering locked in motion displaying steering warning and lane keep assist fault indicators. Surprised that despite several occurrences, this frightening safety issue still exists in the 2022 build. Curious to know how your car performed after the repairs and also if you filed a complaint with any of the regulators (US or Canada).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wow! Glad it happened before she got on the highway.

My dealer ended up replacing the steering module. That component was backordered for 2.5 weeks.

Knock on wood, it hasn't happened since I got it back. Though I still get nervous driving it in case it does.

This whole problem seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.
I am experiencing the same issue with my 2022 Palisade; steering locked in motion displaying steering warning and lane keep assist fault indicators. Surprised that despite several occurrences, this frightening safety issue still exists in the 2022 build. Curious to know how your car performed after the repairs and also if you filed a complaint with any of the regulators (US or Canada).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Reporting the same issue. I thought I screwed something up in the parking lot. Maybe I put it in accessory mode and rolled away by accident I thought.

My wife just called me and told me the steering locked up while she was on our road about to go onto the highway with our 6 week old daughter. Just got it towed. Looks like an issue for 2021 model as well...

·
Registered
16 Posts
This happened to my 2020 Palisade limited Awd a few weeks ago but in our driveway not while driving. Got blind spot and lane keep assist errors. The steering wheel would not turn but I admit I didn’t try to force it. Turn the car off then on again and I’m still getting a error. Turn it off second time then open and close the door to turn off the radio then start it and the errors go away.
It didn’t happen the next few times I drove it but after reading this forum I didn’t want to test my luck by driving until it got resolved. I took it to my Hyundai dealer and left the car with them to try and diagnose it. Of course they couldn’t. They said they didn’t see any error codes and couldn’t reproduce it.
I opened a case with Hyundai customer care but still haven’t heard from them. First call they said they have 3-5 business days to respond. After the 5th business day past I called again and they told me they were backlogged and it would be 7- 10 business days.
I get a call from the dealer that I need to get car off the lot and that they can’t reproduce the issue. I argue that I wanted to leave it there until I get a response from Hyundai. I relented with the idea of trading the car in the next day. I go to pick the Palisade up, start it and it starts showing the errors and the steering wheel feels like it’s locked. I get the service advisor and he brings a technician to look at. The technician says it looked like something was interfering with the power steering. He got his code reader said he was getting codes but that when you shut the car off they would go away, wtf. What good are error codes that don’t get stored. They only show when the error is happening and don’t get stored. Sounds like, oh these are really bad codes better not leave any evidence;) Anyway it’s still at the dealer we’ll see what Hyundai has to say.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My steering wheel locked up today as i was backing out of a parking stall. My dash showed an error message about lane assist and a red steering wheel alert. I shut the car off and on numerous times. I drive to our local Hyundai dealer. I was told they were busy but that i could leave it there and they could try to get to it this afternoon to take a look at it. Thinking it may have just been a one off, I decided to schedule an appt to have it looked at next week and see if it happened again. An hour later it happened again, this time while i was approaching a stop sign. I got to a safe place turned the car off and on again and i drove right back to the dealer. The drive it and it happened again. So now my car sits there til the middle of next week til they can get a tech to look at it. And no loaner from Hyundai until it’s diagnosed. My car gas 9k miles and I’ve loved it until today. Now I’m extremely concerned about my families safety

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am having the same issue (2021 Palisade SEL) as the OP. It was discovered today on my way home from a camping trip. I was on the highway with my kids in the car. How incredibly frightening, and ultimately frustrating. I have an appointment on Friday.

**as a side bar, this will be the second extended repair since I purchased in September 2020. There was a computer malfunction on my palisade which fried the O2 sensor and made the engine light a permanent addition to the dash board and it was in the shop for over 3 months. It may be time for beginning lemon-law paperwork.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This just happened to me. Was traveling about 40km/h when I got all these warnings and the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. I was able to muscle the wheel to pull over safely. I tried turn the car on and off several times but the error did not go away. I had my 1yr old in the car, luckily we were not on the highway!! Waiting for the tow truck. Have a video of all the warnings,but too large to post.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This happened to me today. The first time while starting my car. Turn it off restarted and fine. Then this afternoon while driving it happened again. I was able to muscle it off the road. I called the local dealership and they said they will not be able to get it in for weeks. I’m afraid to drive it. Just lucky I wasn’t on the highway. Not sure what to do. Think I’ll call Hyundai assistant and have it towed in. Is yours fixed?

·
Registered
16 Posts
We have a Limited Pallisade 2020 and we just had exactly the same issue tonight. Very scary. I was wondering if you were able to send the letter to Hyundai corporate office and what they said. Fortunately we were not on the freeway! Steering wheel locked after multiple warning messages appeared on the dash board.

·
Registered
16 Posts
This EXACT thing is happening to me right now. My steering wheel has locked twice after 3 sensors go off. We had to turn the car off and then on again to drive it, however, now that it is at the dealership it is driving fine. They said they have to give it back to me, unfixed, because they cannot replicate the issue and therefore cannot fix it. I am at a loss of what to do! Next step is complaints with corporate. How is your car doing now?

·
Registered
16 Posts
So glad I found these posts. I have a 2021 Palisade SEL. Went out this morning and BCW, LDW and steering lights all came on. Car was parked, engine on it could not steer wheel to pull away from curb. Shut it off and called the dealer who said to turn it on but wait a minute for the car to perform it’s self test then start the engine. Tried that and the same result, unable to drive the car. Dealer suggested roadside assistance for towing to the dealership. All service departments are now closed so will call tomorrow. Wondering if Hyundai would take it back 10mos into my 36mo lease? Worried about driving it once it is fixed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem about two months ago. Towed car to dealer and they replaced some sort of computer module under the dash near the steering column. They didn’t seem to mention this as a recall and some research I did appears to be a potential issue with a small number of cars so a TSB exists. Needless to say no issues since and 2,000+ miles later.

·
Registered
2022 Palisade Essential trim. Typhoon Silver
444 Posts
I do hope at least one of those that experience that same issue gets back to you.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a new owner of a Palisade Limited and have absolutely loved my new car until now. Last week I turned the car on to leave, then randomly got an error to check the blind spot assist system and one of the other safety systems, then the steering wheel locked. I tried changing settings but nothing happened, so I turned the car off and back on. The errors disappeared and I drove home. Planned to call the service department but wasn't too worried. Until yesterday. The same thing happened while I was driving. I was thankfully on a surface street going straight coming up to a stop so I was able to quickly turn the car off and on again, which cleared the error and released the steering wheel. Then it happened two more times within the hour. We had it towed last night to the dealership. I'm so thankful nothing bad happened, but if I had been on a freeway or curvy road, things would have been much worse. It's a rather frightening thing to have your steering wheel completely lock while you are driving. No ability to even pull to the side. Has anyone heard of this happening? The dealer says they haven't, and I'm really concerned that they won't be able to replicate it and will just send me on my way. There's no way I feel comfortable driving it again unless I know they've fixed the issue.
Please don't forget to file a report with NHTSA they keep track of all these items so if there are enough they can help get a recall or it can be helpful for a class action law suit. Either way they have to investigat all reports

101 - 117 of 117 Posts