Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reporting the same issue. I thought I screwed something up in the parking lot. Maybe I put it in accessory mode and rolled away by accident I thought.

My wife just called me and told me the steering locked up while she was on our road about to go onto the highway with our 6 week old daughter. Just got it towed. Looks like an issue for 2021 model as well...
Wow! Glad it happened before she got on the highway.

My dealer ended up replacing the steering module. That component was backordered for 2.5 weeks.

Knock on wood, it hasn't happened since I got it back. Though I still get nervous driving it in case it does.

This whole problem seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2021 Calligraphy FWD due late April
243 Posts
Holy crap! I didn't even know these things had a locking steering wheel anymore. What I did just for fear of something similar is disable every feature that wants to use the steering wheel for me, like collision warning assist, and that kind of crap. I welcome every warning, but assist? No thank you. Ha ha. I haven't heard the steering wheel lock, like on other cars. Maybe when car is locked only? But glad to be aware of this issue. Thank you for mentioning it. Hopefully whatever it is was fixed on my 02/21 SUV.

Oh, and those with this issue, was there any warning before locking up, like the steering wheel making noises, or any other indication you could share? Hope so. Because if it can just lock up without ANY warning whatsoever, and anywhere (like on the highway), that wouldn't be good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holy crap! I didn't even know these things had a locking steering wheel anymore. What I did just for fear of something similar is disable every feature that wants to use the steering wheel for me, like collision warning assist, and that kind of crap. I welcome every warning, but assist? No thank you. Ha ha. I haven't heard the steering wheel lock, like on other cars. Maybe when car is locked only? But glad to be aware of this issue. Thank you for mentioning it. Hopefully whatever it is was fixed on my 02/21 SUV.

Oh, and those with this issue, was there any warning before locking up, like the steering wheel making noises, or any other indication you could share? Hope so. Because if it can just lock up without ANY warning whatsoever, and anywhere (like on the highway), that wouldn't be good.
Zero warnings. You hear beeping and can no longer steer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We had this happen a few weeks ago and wanted to let the community know what happened with us,

2020 SEL AWD. My wife was driving on the road and three different warning went off and the steering wheel locked up. (Check blind spot Collison avoidance assist, check lane departure warning, and one more) Luckily the kids were not in the car and it was a 15 MPH straight road. She was able to get the wheel to turn just enough so the car could get to the side of the road after a while. She turned it on and off multiple times and the issue did not go away. As soon as she turned the wheel in park or reverse the warnings would go off and the wheel would lock up. We called the 24 hour road side assistance and they towed it to the local Hyundai dealer. We also started a case with Hyundai claims and Hyundai Claims America. The dealer identified that there was a fuse that shorted and that caused the issue as well as the steering column. We were without the car for about 3 weeks. During this time we were in contact with a rep from Hyundai. We told them that we didn't feel safe putting out kids in the car even after the dealer fixed the items. Hyundai said that the issue was fixed and if we wanted to raise the issue any further we had to go through the BBB.

I am beyond thankful that this issue hasn't happened to anyone while they were driving at high speeds or on a curvy road. Hyundai would not buy the car back or replace it. I do feel like this is a growing issue though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update for me. They managed to get the part and install it within a week. They did not give me a loaner so I was stuck at home for a week which sucked.

Seems the vehicle will have a bunch of codes that indicate no communication to the motor driver power steering (MDPS) motor. When I asked for more details on the failure they said the failure was internal and needed to be diagnosed by technical teams at hyundai. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. I've reported the issue by sending a copy of the work order to Transportation Canada (our version of the NHTSA). Hopefully enough folks report it and they do a formal investigation and recall.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
786 Posts
Update for me. They managed to get the part and install it within a week. They did not give me a loaner so I was stuck at home for a week which sucked.

Seems the vehicle will have a bunch of codes that indicate no communication to the motor driver power steering (MDPS) motor. When I asked for more details on the failure they said the failure was internal and needed to be diagnosed by technical teams at hyundai. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again. I've reported the issue by sending a copy of the work order to Transportation Canada (our version of the NHTSA). Hopefully enough folks report it and they do a formal investigation and recall.
I would be stomping my feet until my dealership gave me a loaner.

·
Registered
281 Posts

When this issue was 1st posted, I felt it was the most serious safety issue I have seen on this forum. It definitely has made me think about what can occur with the modern tech in our vehicles, on more than one occasion while driving. I am very pleased to see that the service department was able to determine what caused this issue and have fixed it……🤞I am also extremely pleased that you have reported this to Transport Canada. This exactly the followup needed for such an important safety issue. Thank you for sharing and providing the follow up. Take care…..and enjoy your Palisade👍

·
Registered
243 Posts
In order to be a recall, there would have to be several cases, to detect a pattern. Mkfsp didn't specify if his SUV is 2020 or 2021. The other is a 2020, so might just be that model year so far. We'll see, but it's scary that it could happen on the highway. I wonder if the motor starts making noises, or some other warning, before it locks up. Does it??? Thx.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Such a critical ground connection obscurely placed behind the dash requiring disassembly is a design fault. The grounding cable should be extended to an accessible, visible grounding bus location IMHO. Hyundai was aware of this problem. Hopefully it was in later builds? Like my 12/20 build!

·
Registered
2 Posts
This happened to my 2020 Palisade limited Awd a few weeks ago but in our driveway not while driving. Got blind spot and lane keep assist errors. The steering wheel would not turn but I admit I didn’t try to force it. Turn the car off then on again and I’m still getting a error. Turn it off second time then open and close the door to turn off the radio then start it and the errors go away.
It didn’t happen the next few times I drove it but after reading this forum I didn’t want to test my luck by driving until it got resolved. I took it to my Hyundai dealer and left the car with them to try and diagnose it. Of course they couldn’t. They said they didn’t see any error codes and couldn’t reproduce it.
I opened a case with Hyundai customer care but still haven’t heard from them. First call they said they have 3-5 business days to respond. After the 5th business day past I called again and they told me they were backlogged and it would be 7- 10 business days.
I get a call from the dealer that I need to get car off the lot and that they can’t reproduce the issue. I argue that I wanted to leave it there until I get a response from Hyundai. I relented with the idea of trading the car in the next day. I go to pick the Palisade up, start it and it starts showing the errors and the steering wheel feels like it’s locked. I get the service advisor and he brings a technician to look at. The technician says it looked like something was interfering with the power steering. He got his code reader said he was getting codes but that when you shut the car off they would go away, wtf. What good are error codes that don’t get stored. They only show when the error is happening and don’t get stored. Sounds like, oh these are really bad codes better not leave any evidence;) Anyway it’s still at the dealer we’ll see what Hyundai has to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My steering wheel locked up today as i was backing out of a parking stall. My dash showed an error message about lane assist and a red steering wheel alert. I shut the car off and on numerous times. I drive to our local Hyundai dealer. I was told they were busy but that i could leave it there and they could try to get to it this afternoon to take a look at it. Thinking it may have just been a one off, I decided to schedule an appt to have it looked at next week and see if it happened again. An hour later it happened again, this time while i was approaching a stop sign. I got to a safe place turned the car off and on again and i drove right back to the dealer. The drive it and it happened again. So now my car sits there til the middle of next week til they can get a tech to look at it. And no loaner from Hyundai until it’s diagnosed. My car gas 9k miles and I’ve loved it until today. Now I’m extremely concerned about my families safety

·
Registered
243 Posts
Hey guys, I need some clarification. My understanding of the steering wheel 'LOCKING' is that it was actually getting locked, as in it cannot be moved at all, meaning you can hear a 'click' 'click' when moving it from side to side, which is meant to prevent theft.

But now I'm suspecting what's happening is just the power steering motor failing, which is still bad, but very different from the steering actually locking, since you could still steer, although with a higher effort (it gets easier when vehicle is rolling). I would feel MUCH BETTER knowing it's just a motor issue, because there'd still be steering available. So which of the 2 possible issues is this? And do Palisades even have a locking steering column? Many keyless ignition vehicles don't have it anymore. But if the steering is truly locking, it'd be a much more dangerous problem. Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, I need some clarification. My understanding of the steering wheel 'LOCKING' is that it was actually getting locked, as in it cannot be moved at all, meaning you can hear a 'click' 'click' when moving it from side to side, which is meant to prevent theft.

But now I'm suspecting what's happening is just the power steering motor failing, which is still bad, but very different from the steering actually locking, since you could still steer, although with a higher effort (it gets easier when vehicle is rolling). I would feel MUCH BETTER knowing just the motor is failing, because there's still steering available, although with a higher effort needed. Just want to know which of the 2 is the issue, since if it's truly locking, it'd be a much more dangerous problem. Thank you.
After reading your comment I would therefore say my steering wheel was not locking up. I was able to move the wheel with much muscle power on my end.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh, okay. Thank you for the clarification. I feel better now. Yes, you cannot make any sudden maneuvers, since it's quite hard to steer, but at least you could safely steer the vehicle out of a freeway, street, etc. Having said that, it's rare for electric power steering systems to fail like that, especially after so many years in operation, but it can happen. My guess is a bad batch. I'd like to know what exactly is happening, which could be something as stupid as the 'zero' sensor, or some other fail/safe system built into those systems. Depending where the motor is (like under the car), it could be something very easy to fix; hope that's the case. Good luck, and thanks again for posting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh, okay. Thank you for the clarification. I feel better now. Yes, you cannot make any sudden maneuvers, since it's quite hard to steer, but at least you could safely steer the vehicle out of a freeway, street, etc. Having said that, it's rare for electric power steering systems to fail like that, especially after so many years in operation, but it can happen. My guess is a bad batch. I'd like to know what exactly is happening, which could be something as stupid as the 'zero' sensor, or some other fail/safe system built into those systems. Depending where the motor is, it could be something very easy to fix; hope that's the case. Good luck, and thanks again for posting.
Once I hear back from the dealership I will share their findings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealer says, Hyundai told them to replace the steering column and “see “ if that fixes the problem. My issue is that they had it for 2 weeks and told me they couldn’t find anything wrong. How can they ensure me that replacing the steering column will fix the issue When they couldn’t find it the first time? I was lucky and the errors happened as I was picking up the car after they told me they couldn’t find anything wrong.
I opened a case through Hyundai customer care on 5/16/21. I have not been called by Hyundai about my case. I have called back a number of times and the last time they said it had been assigned to a case manager and they gave me a number I could call. I called that number and tried to leave a message and the mailbox is full. Customer care says in 3-5 days they will contact. In my case it’s been a month. Sorry this last part is off topic.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I filed a claim on 6/7/21 and I’ve received 2 messages while i was at work from my case manager ~ we’ve yet to connect. I would keep calling them and make sure you have your case number (i think that will expedite the call).

A few hours ago the dealership tech called stating that the car had the issue this morning and they were able to get the codes. Stated the module on the steering column needs to be replaced. I pray the issue will be resolved once they replace this part. The module is being shipped from Texas -hoping to have the car back in 2-4 days. I haven’t had the vehicle since Friday June 4th!!

61 - 80 of 117 Posts