Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a new owner of a Palisade Limited and have absolutely loved my new car until now. Last week I turned the car on to leave, then randomly got an error to check the blind spot assist system and one of the other safety systems, then the steering wheel locked. I tried changing settings but nothing happened, so I turned the car off and back on. The errors disappeared and I drove home. Planned to call the service department but wasn't too worried. Until yesterday. The same thing happened while I was driving. I was thankfully on a surface street going straight coming up to a stop so I was able to quickly turn the car off and on again, which cleared the error and released the steering wheel. Then it happened two more times within the hour. We had it towed last night to the dealership. I'm so thankful nothing bad happened, but if I had been on a freeway or curvy road, things would have been much worse. It's a rather frightening thing to have your steering wheel completely lock while you are driving. No ability to even pull to the side. Has anyone heard of this happening? The dealer says they haven't, and I'm really concerned that they won't be able to replicate it and will just send me on my way. There's no way I feel comfortable driving it again unless I know they've fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
240 Posts
If they don't fix it, I would drive around slowly and let it lock again and then let it crash into something.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Can you define locking up? Was this the blind spot warning triggering and giving you noticeable, but overcomable feedback or are you saying the steering column lock locked up and the wheel absolutely would not turn at all?

I have heard of some blind spot errors triggering the system and the feedback as part of the system interpreted in a manner similar to what you could be describing, but nevermind the wheel hard locking up and there being 0 play

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got a check blind spot system warning and lights as well as check one of the other systems, at the same time the steering column/wheel completely locked up, couldn't be turned at all. The only remedy was turning the car off and then on. If this had happened on a different road or freeway at a higher speed I couldn't have avoided an accident. To say I was lucky is an understatement. The car is in the shop and they said today that they found the problem and have to repair something under the dashboard, a connection or ground, something like that. I unfortunately know nothing about cars and am honestly really concerned about whether this really is the fix and it won't happen again, and could this be a problem waiting to happen in other vehicles? This occured at about 2500 miles.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the actual steering wheel lock that gets engaged when the car is off and in Park is a mechanical system.

So the steering wheel locking up on the OP is an electronic or electrical gremlin, which seems odd that it would not be able to be muscled to continue to steer to safety without having to shut off the car and restart.

can you show us the work order remedy so we can know what went wrong with your car and what was needed to fix it?

Going back, how did you shut the car off and turn it back on while moving on the freeway? Does putting the car in Neutral and pressing the ignition button shut it off, where you then can press again to turn the engine over/on?

·
Registered
2020 Palisade SEL Lagoon Silver
240 Posts
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the actual steering wheel lock that gets engaged when the car is off and in Park is a mechanical system.

So the steering wheel locking up on the OP is an electronic or electrical gremlin, which seems odd that it would not be able to be muscled to continue to steer to safety without having to shut off the car and restart.

can you show us the work order remedy so we can know what went wrong with your car and what was needed to fix it?

Going back, how did you shut the car off and turn it back on while moving on the freeway? Does putting the car in Neutral and pressing the ignition button shut it off, where you then can press again to turn the engine over/on?
The manual says,
"To turn the engine off in an emergency: Press and hold the Engine Start/Stop button for more than two seconds OR rapidly press and release the Engine Start/ Stop button three times (within three seconds). If the vehicle is still moving, you can restart the engine without depressing the brake pedal by pressing the Engine Start/Stop button with the gear in the N (Neutral) position."

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm a new owner of a Palisade Limited and have absolutely loved my new car until now. Last week I turned the car on to leave, then randomly got an error to check the blind spot assist system and one of the other safety systems, then the steering wheel locked. I tried changing settings but nothing happened, so I turned the car off and back on. The errors disappeared and I drove home. Planned to call the service department but wasn't too worried. Until yesterday. The same thing happened while I was driving. I was thankfully on a surface street going straight coming up to a stop so I was able to quickly turn the car off and on again, which cleared the error and released the steering wheel. Then it happened two more times within the hour. We had it towed last night to the dealership. I'm so thankful nothing bad happened, but if I had been on a freeway or curvy road, things would have been much worse. It's a rather frightening thing to have your steering wheel completely lock while you are driving. No ability to even pull to the side. Has anyone heard of this happening? The dealer says they haven't, and I'm really concerned that they won't be able to replicate it and will just send me on my way. There's no way I feel comfortable driving it again unless I know they've fixed the issue.
Just an update, my car is still in the shop, but they have told me that it is a ground wire that came loose and they had to take the dashboard apart to fix it. He says it is fixed but they are driving it around to make sure it's not going to lock up again. I'm still uneasy. The tech also said that although their dealership hadn't heard of this issue, they had called corporate and were given the fix and told it has happened to multiple Palisades. This is easily a very fatal flaw. Why no recall?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Strange.. maybe I am reading this wrong. They had to call corporate for a fix to stick a grounded wire back?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They saw all of the error codes but didn't know what caused it to lock up so called corporate to see if they had heard of it happening, and yes they did and they knew how to fix it, it was the loose ground wire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That’s a scary one for sure, but I’ve not heard of another incident like this.
I don't think it's happened a lot yet because the car is so new, but it's happened enough times that corporate immediately knew what the problem was and how to fix it. This is what concerns me most, is that they knew this is a hugely serious issue but didn't bother issuing a recall or ensuring that new cars were checked for this during production. My car is brand new. This was preventable and should not have happened at all.

·
Registered
512 Posts
so if the mechanical steering wheel lock is being engaged then the car "thinks" the power has been shut off. This is a dangerous situation for sure!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had that once

·
Registered
29 Posts
JHCull, you've got a case established now. From this point forward, if you have the same problem again, you've got a genuine cause to consider using the Lemon Law to return or replace the car. A well written letter to the NHTSA would probably push Hyundai to do something. Now that Hyundai corporate is involved, that'll be easier if it becomes necessary. As for why it's not part of a recall, that's I good question. I suspect it has to do with prevalence and number of cases seen throughout the market. If enough people experience the problem, or if any of those cases results in injury, I would think a recall (or at least inspection) would be coming. Maybe it is coming, for all we know. Regardless, this is exactly why I subscribe to these forums. Most of the problems I've had with my Palisade have been unknown/unseen by my dealer, so I have to stay on top of these problems myself to ensure I get the service done as needed. I shouldn't have to do that, but that's often the way it goes with a new vehicle, and we obviously can't rely on Hyundai to help us. My Volvo T8 was the worst car to own in this regard - demon after demon in that machine. I was so relieved when I got out of that POS.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JHCull, you've got a case established now. From this point forward, if you have the same problem again, you've got a genuine cause to consider using the Lemon Law to return or replace the car. A well written letter to the NHTSA would probably push Hyundai to do something. Now that Hyundai corporate is involved, that'll be easier if it becomes necessary. As for why it's not part of a recall, that's I good question. I suspect it has to do with prevalence and number of cases seen throughout the market. If enough people experience the problem, or if any of those cases results in injury, I would think a recall (or at least inspection) would be coming. Maybe it is coming, for all we know. Regardless, this is exactly why I subscribe to these forums. Most of the problems I've had with my Palisade have been unknown/unseen by my dealer, so I have to stay on top of these problems myself to ensure I get the service done as needed. I shouldn't have to do that, but that's often the way it goes with a new vehicle, and we obviously can't rely on Hyundai to help us. My Volvo T8 was the worst car to own in this regard - demon after demon in that machine. I was so relieved when I got out of that POS.
Sonartech, thanks so much for your reply. We are drafting a letter to Hyundai corporate, but I hadn't thought of NHTSA, that's a good idea. I picked up my car yesterday and it is supposedly fixed, but I can't tell you how nervous I feel driving it now. The fact that when the dealership contacted corporate they were told it is a "known issue" and immediately given the fix tells me it's more than just a few cars. Though not surprising that an automobile manufacturer would put profit before safety, it is still appalling and unethical. I wonder how many incidents there really have been, and if any have actually resulted in injury and/or death and been swept under the rug through settlements. I was incredibly lucky that it happened when it did. 40 feet sooner and I would have crashed off the road. 3 minutes earlier and I would have crashed in the middle of the freeway.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts