Hyundai Palisade Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, so i just got my Palisade and has 100km on the ODO. When driving down straight roads or highways the steering wheel is always slightly to the left and not centered at all when diving perfectly down a straight road. Also it seems to be pulling to the right ever so slightly and always need to steer to the left to make it go straight. Anyone else having this issue and what should i do? Thanks. Oh and yes all the tire pressures are set to 35 psi.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I had the exact same issue with the car drifting to the right while the steering wheel is canted to the left.

I took it to my nearest dealer for an alignment. They performed an alignment and while driving home I notice the steering wheel is still canted to the left, and while the car doesn't drift as badly to the right, it still had a little drift.

I get home and while wiping down the car I notice chips in the painted wheel surface. Two of my wheels had chips and scratches on them. The service tech cranked the alignment arms onto my wheel too tightly and chipped the paint on the out wheel rim.

I take the car back to the dealership the next day. First they question how I knew their machine arms are exactly 8 1/2 inches apart (I had mentioned the chips are exactly 8 1/2 inches apart so I'm going to bet that their machine arms are 8 1/2 inches apart from one another). What?!? You're questioning how I know as if you're accusing me of coming in with this damage and blaming you?!? Wow.

Then another person comes out to examine the damage and she claims that once the Covid restrictions are lifted I can bring my car back to have their wheel refinisher company fix my damaged wheels.

I am NOT happy at this point. I then ask about the steering wheel being canted. Their customer service manager asks me to ride with him. After a test drive he admits that the steering wheel is slightly canted to the left. We get back to the dealership and then he tells me his techs say that the wheel can't be straightened. He says that they cannot remove the steering wheel to realign it to sit straight. I tell him that the proper procedure is to adjust the steering arms and that removing the steering wheel not how one would go about getting this steering wheel straight. He shrugs and tells me they can't fix the steering wheel.

I tell this manager that I am very unhappy with their decision to refinish my wheels. My car with 1k miles on it is flawless, or it was until they laid their mitts on it. I ask him why should I accept refinishing when they clearly damaged my like-new wheels? He says he will ask the owner about what they can do.

at this point I'll just say that owner apparently told the manager to order me two new wheels.

So here I am now with wheels that aren't chipped and scratched at least, but my steering wheel is still canted and I don't believe my alilghnent is as good as it should be. I contemplated kicking this issue up to Hyundai corporate, but I figure if they choose to do another alignment and attempt a steering wheel straightening that they would likely send me to another dealership. I don't have confidence in letting a dealer service center have another attempt at this job.

Instead, later this week I have an appointment with a specialty shop that preps high end sports cars and race/track cars. It will cost me between 100 to 140 dollars depending on how much needs to be done (full 4 wheel alignment or just the fronts along with the steering wheel straightening). I'd rather pay this amount and put the car in hands that I trust.

Let us know if your dealership gets your car tracking straight and straightens out your steering wheel.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Lack of confidence in dealer “technicians”

also, the next closest dealer is the one I had called about wind noise and the guy sounded like I was bothering him, and he told me all palisades have wind noise so it’s normal. Then asks me if I want to make an appointment.

yeah, let me waste my time so you gen tell me to my face “they all do that”

so my two closest dealers aren’t inspiring confidence.

I have a 2011 Sonata which I had warranty work done at two dealers which have since closed. Those two dealer service centers I had no problems with

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the exact same issue with the car drifting to the right while the steering wheel is canted to the left.

I took it to my nearest dealer for an alignment. They performed an alignment and while driving home I notice the steering wheel is still canted to the left, and while the car doesn't drift as badly to the right, it still had a little drift.

I get home and while wiping down the car I notice chips in the painted wheel surface. Two of my wheels had chips and scratches on them. The service tech cranked the alignment arms onto my wheel too tightly and chipped the paint on the out wheel rim.

I take the car back to the dealership the next day. First they question how I knew their machine arms are exactly 8 1/2 inches apart (I had mentioned the chips are exactly 8 1/2 inches apart so I'm going to bet that their machine arms are 8 1/2 inches apart from one another). What?!? You're questioning how I know as if you're accusing me of coming in with this damage and blaming you?!? Wow.

Then another person comes out to examine the damage and she claims that once the Covid restrictions are lifted I can bring my car back to have their wheel refinisher company fix my damaged wheels.

I am NOT happy at this point. I then ask about the steering wheel being canted. Their customer service manager asks me to ride with him. After a test drive he admits that the steering wheel is slightly canted to the left. We get back to the dealership and then he tells me his techs say that the wheel can't be straightened. He says that they cannot remove the steering wheel to realign it to sit straight. I tell him that the proper procedure is to adjust the steering arms and that removing the steering wheel not how one would go about getting this steering wheel straight. He shrugs and tells me they can't fix the steering wheel.

I tell this manager that I am very unhappy with their decision to refinish my wheels. My car with 1k miles on it is flawless, or it was until they laid their mitts on it. I ask him why should I accept refinishing when they clearly damaged my like-new wheels? He says he will ask the owner about what they can do.

at this point I'll just say that owner apparently told the manager to order me two new wheels.

So here I am now with wheels that aren't chipped and scratched at least, but my steering wheel is still canted and I don't believe my alilghnent is as good as it should be. I contemplated kicking this issue up to Hyundai corporate, but I figure if they choose to do another alignment and attempt a steering wheel straightening that they would likely send me to another dealership. I don't have confidence in letting a dealer service center have another attempt at this job.

Instead, later this week I have an appointment with a specialty shop that preps high end sports cars and race/track cars. It will cost me between 100 to 140 dollars depending on how much needs to be done (full 4 wheel alignment or just the fronts along with the steering wheel straightening). I'd rather pay this amount and put the car in hands that I trust.

Let us know if your dealership gets your car tracking straight and straightens out your steering wheel.
I have an appointment next week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope mine isn't as bad as yours. Hopefully your next alignment goes well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I recently had a similar problem in my old 2006 truck. Alignment didn't correct the problem and swapping front wheels just reversed the symptoms. I had the rear tires put on front and all is good and straight now. Shop manager thinks there may be a broken or damaged steel belt inside one of the former front tires. Food for thought!

·
Registered
664 Posts
Finished with the alignment this morning. The shop did a fantastic job. Steering wheel is straightened and the car tracks better. Their measurements show the alignment machine at the dealership is (most likely) out of spec and needs a calibration since the beginning numbers at this race shop are different than the finishing measurements at the dealership. Also, this shop uses a new machine that does not attach to the wheels so there was no risk of chipping the paint on the wheels.

Very happy with their work and no regret spending 140 dollars for this full alignment, done properly!

Too bad the Hyundai dealer service couldn't do this right

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Race shop did a 4 wheel alignment.
That means they aligned the steering wheel with the axis of the rear wheels,
Then aligned the front wheels to that.
Your Palisade was doing a crab drive, turning steering wheel to allow the front
wheels to follow where the rear wheels wanted you to go and would have caused
an unusual amount of wear on the tires.
You need to call Hyundai customer service and ask them to reimburse you for the
cost of having this corrected as their dealership couldn't correct the alignment
with their older equipement.

·
Super Moderator
1,773 Posts
Be sure and tell customer support that dealer used older equipment that bolted to front wheels then said they couldn't straighten the steering wheel. You were advised to seek help else where

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So my girlfriend took it in this morning and technician road with my girlfriend and seen the wheel is definitely cantered to the left and did pull. did a 1.5hr wheel front and rear alignment and "corrected it". girlfriend drove it home and said seems better. I took it for a drive just now and sure enough the wheel is still cantered to the left while driving straight and now PULLS to the right instead of left. They also rotated the wheels thinking that would help. but did not. so what should i do from here? here are the alignment numbers
IMG_20200618_0002.jpg

·
Registered
664 Posts
That's frustrating. You can ask the dealer to try again, or pay a trusted shop to do it right.

As I stated earlier, I went ahead and paid a shop to do it, and it seemed fine when I drove it home from the shop. I took a 700 mile trip this week so that gave me a lot of flat freeway miles to really look at this alignment, and I've discovered my steering wheel is still slightly canted right and the car wants to drift to the right still; it's not as bad as before but I still notice it. I thought maybe it's a quirk with the LKA and LFA, that maybe the system determines the center of the lane off measurements to the right lane marker (a WAG on my part), so I turned off the LKA and didn't use cruise control, but the car still wanted to drift to the right on 90% of the roads and lanes that looked "flat enough" to my eye.

I'll contact my shop and hope they can finally fix this irritating issue.

I did contact Hyundai Corp about this and how I paid to have it done after my dealership said they couldn't center the off-center steering wheel. I got a canned response telling me to take it up with the dealership. here I am rolling my eyes now. I won't even bother to try to argue with the dealership as I see nothing but aggravation going down that road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My steering wheel is off center and pulling to the right. Took the vehicle in for an oil change and afterwards this started. Not sure if there is a connection. Took the vehicle back yesterday and they did an alignment. Drove home and it is still off center and pulling to the right. Have an appointment next week, I am going to ask them to swap the front tires to see if the problem moves to the left.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Any updates from John Gannon or Krislew?

My shop had me sit in the car and hold the wheel straight while they loosened and then tightened things down. My Palisade now has a perfectly straight steering wheel and tracks true! It's frustrating how little the wheel needs to be off center for us to notice. Now that the wheel is straight I have less stress driving. Hahahahah. First world problems.

I emailed the manager at the Hyundai dealer that told me there is no way they can straighten the steering wheel. I had contacted Hyundai Corp and they just referred me back to the dealer. I'm not expecting them to actually offer to pay me, but hopefully they'll have their alignment machine calibrated since the measurements from my shop show the dealer machine is out of spec and needs to be calibrated.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Update: Just got an email from the customer service manager at the dealership, and he's offering to pay the cost of my alignment from the shop I had perform the job! In my email to him I never even asked that they pay me back for this service.

Wow, that's awesome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone, so i just got my Palisade and has 100km on the ODO. When driving down straight roads or highways the steering wheel is always slightly to the left and not centered at all when diving perfectly down a straight road. Also it seems to be pulling to the right ever so slightly and always need to steer to the left to make it go straight. Anyone else having this issue and what should i do? Thanks. Oh and yes all the tire pressures are set to 35 psi.
I got same problem exactly same I have to take it back. I’m going to ask them to change steering track , maybe defect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts