Hyundai Palisade Forum banner

Steering column needs to be replaced

24K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  cward0625 
#1 ·
So I have my Palisade about 6 months and have 7500 miles on it. I brought it into the dealer today for the first oil change and casually mentioned to the service rep that I started hearing a grinding noise when I turn the steering wheel. He proceeded to tell me that it needs a new steering column and the replace at least a half dozen so far. He then told me this model car is a cash cow for the dealerships, that on average they are making $10k in recalls, TSB’s and known issues per vehicle. I’m at the point I truly regret buying the car between the wind noise, steering column, rear a/c, and other electronics not working as it should. I already started the process to lemon law it.

#2 ·
This is actually very disappointing to hear. I am hoping (no offense) that it is not the case with all vehicles. Well, you know what they say about first generation or a car. I only have about 250 miles on mine so I have not experienced any of these issues (fingers crossed) yet.

#3 ·
well, darn....that is certainly unexpected...sounds as if the early builds did have some problems that are beyond just being annoying...I believe the wind issue may be fixed on the later builds, but a grinding in the steering column probably has not been addressed....one of the reasons I bought my 4th Hyundai is that the company and dealer has been so good about fixing anything that goes wrong....and, also that there have been few things that have needed to be fixed....hope you get your problems addressed in a satisfactory way, and you also become a happy Palisade owner...

#5 · (Edited)
He then told me this model car is a cash cow for the dealerships, that on average they are making $10k in recalls, TSB’s and known issues per vehicle.
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, but this particular quote by your dealer seems way overblown, reads like utter hyperbole to me. Perhaps the service advisor is just trying to be facetious to save face, or whatever. There are just two known TSBs for our cars (AWD vibration [which doesnt affect us FWDs] + wind noise). Perhaps indeed it's time for you to move on to another vehicle if you can lemon law it, or whatever. But cmon, a "cash cow"? Good grief, give me a break..... If anything, the dealerships would loathe this kind of situation, because they make far more money selling cars than they must make servicing them under warranty.

We have 800+ members in this quaint little growing forum of ours. OP is the first one to mention this steering column issue. I'm not insisting anything like a true statistical validity here, but just for sake of making the point, that's 0.1%.

INB4 tomorrow we see another post from a prospective or soon-to-be buyer "I've heard ALL Palisades have steering problems, should i be worried?!" cuz of this one post.

OP, good luck with your issues. Hope they can find a resolution for you for the problems you've had in your car. Good thing these things have a decent warranty, in any case, right?

#8 ·
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems, but this particular quote by your dealer seems way overblown, reads like utter hyperbole to me. Perhaps the service advisor is just trying to be facetious to save face, or whatever. There are just two known TSBs for our cars (AWD vibration [which doesnt affect us FWDs] + wind noise). Perhaps indeed it's time for you to move on to another vehicle if you can lemon law it, or whatever. But cmon, a "cash cow"? Good grief, give me a break..... If anything, the dealerships would loathe this kind of situation, because they make far more money selling cars than they must make servicing them under warranty.

We have 800+ members in this quaint little growing forum of ours. OP is the first one to mention this steering column issue. I'm not insisting anything like a true statistical validity here, but just for sake of making the point, that's 0.1%.

INB4 tomorrow we see another post from a prospective or soon-to-be buyer "I've heard ALL Palisades have steering problems, should i be worried?!" cuz of this one post.

OP, good luck with your issues. Hope they can find a resolution for you for the problems you've had in your car. Good thing these things have a decent warranty, in any case, right?
I’m repeating verbatim what was said to me. I certainly don’t have the ability to check the service records of the dealership. That said one of the other Palisades that needed replacement is the GM who happens to be my neighbor. Incidentally he did confirm that his too needed a column.

#10 ·
I have a white one coming pretty soon, but I think I am going to pass due to all the issues.One question also, how did you like the push button transmission, and how is Hyundai addressing your problems, since they have this wonderful 100,000 mile warranty. THKS IN ADVANCE

#18 ·
We are another victim of the steering column. We have a Limited and started hearing a swooshing or grinding when making turns.
Waiting for the part, they gave me the car back while we wait.
Still no resolution on our other issue of insane sound from the driver door when driving at highway speed.

#23 ·
I have a sel awd trim. Went in last Friday for its 2nd oil change. I had no issues with it when I got there. I left and got home that’s when I noticed sound coming from steering and my mpg went from excellent to horrible. I didn’t start having issues till right after that oil change. Makes me wonder if they changed oil. I was getting 22 city and 31 highway in comfort mode. I took it back Tuesday of this week and they said oh it’s a spring we have to order it. It’ll be here Thursday we will let u know when it gets here. They never called me I had to call them and they gave me appt for today Friday told them I’d have to wait for it they said it would take a while I said well I have things and kids to pick up from school so they lend me a loaner for a few hours. I get call from 2 hrs later saying it’s not spring it’s steering column and that they won’t get new part till Tuesday. So they told me I could come pick up my palisade and bring it back when they get the part. Transmisión is jerky as hell to. I to,d them if they have found a resolution for that they said no it’s normal because it’s a dct I said it doesn’t have a dct they claim to know more because they work there. I know there is no dct. I’m really regretting this purchase.

#29 ·
We have also have to replaced the steering column. We have no accident and I primarily use the car to drive my children back and forth to school. I noticed something orange leaking from the car and the steering wheel seemed to be loose when navigating. The service guy inspected and told me the same thing that we need to replace the steering wheel column. I was totally blown away. We replaced it but now Well a few days ago I noticed the same symptoms again with the steering wheel. And this morning while I was stopped at the light, the car totally shut off.

I too will be starting the process of the lemon law.

#37 ·
I guess you're right about that. I doubt Hyundai sends out bulletins alerting their dealers of reported and potential problems. Only when it gets to a TSB or Recall is when all the dealers are alerted, and even then if no customer needs the TSB work done then dealers are probably too busy to actually study all of them and commit them to memory, so unless a customer actually has the issue and presents it to the dealer then they continue on oblivious to the issue.

In fact, I think some users on this forum had to present their dealers with the wind noise TSB since they "had never seen this issue before..."

hahahaha

#42 ·
I have a 2020 Palisade SEL AWD. I’ve had it since July 2019 and just took it in for my 15K maintenance. So far, the only issue is the wind noise, which isn’t terrible, but shouldn't be happening. I did the recall on the airbag screw cover thing and they checked the wiring harness recall, but mine wasn’t affected. Overall I love the car. One question I have about the steering column, was this a problem that started small and grew? I have recently noticed a slight squeaking noise when I turn the wheel at low speed. Wondering if this could be the start of something bigger.

#43 ·
some owners reported their dealer adjusted their doors to solve their wind noise.

I posted on this thread:

you're had your car for well over a year and the wind noise can be fixed. amazing hyundai hasn't figured it out, but we owners have. It's easy. Do it yourself and you'll enjoy your Palisade more than you can with an irritating wind noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.